RMweb

Adrian Shooter, old school railway manager - Rest In Peace

'CHARD

• RMweb Gold

A great gent in many ways  along with above had a love of 2 foot gauge steam and was active on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland railways, so much so he had his own 2 foot gauge "garden railway" with DHR loco and a lovely saloon coach for high days and holidays .  When time allowed he helped in the parks and gardens department on the FR and we worked together.  Quiet but powerful force of good and a good leader of people.    A loss to many and as often happens taken too early. 

Robert 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I had the pleasure of meeting Adrian on many occasions both professionally and socially and he really was one of the finest you could wish to meet.  A superb manager who was genuinely respected by his staff who would always be prepared to go the extra mile for him - something that is sadly no longer the case at Arriva controlled Chiltern.  He will be greatly missed across both the national industry and the heritage sector.  At the recent naming ceremony of 168001, his last public appearance I think, one of the Chiltern drivers called out: "this man is a legend" which pretty much sums up how he was thought of.

My thoughts are with Barbara and his family.

RIP, Adrian.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I briefly met Mr Shooter about 20 years ago when my employer was trying to bring its research expertise to the rail market.  A colleague and I presented to a group Adrian Shooter was chairing, which included representatives of other companies already established in the field and who probably weren't happy at the thought of sharing the pie.

Looking back, we were under-prepared and out of our depth (our employer really didn't understand industries outside defence) but I clearly remember being treated with absolute courtesy by Adrian Shooter.

A very sad loss to the rail industry as well as his family.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

He will be much missed after his work as a professional in the industry and also as a genuinely keen railway enthusiast. As just one example his Beeches Light Railway was inspirational. As a Vice President of the SLS his passing also leaves us with a hole that will be hard to fill. RIP Adrian and thanks for what you achieved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Oh no, genuinely saddened by this news 😪 - as said above he was quite simply one of the best Railwaymen of "recent" times.

At Bricklayers Arms CRD as a 17 y.o. Apprentice whilst surrounded by the bits of a 12t Plasser crane engine I was dismantling for servicing, Mr Shooter appeared on a visit being the "SR Works and Equipment Engineer" ISTR at the time and I received an extremely knowledgeable grilling on what did what and why ? Left the very distinct impression that this indeed was a man to be reckoned with 👍

Had the greatest respect for him and his achievements ever since.

R.I.P. Sir

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

The celebration of Adrian's life was held on Saturday 7th January at Fawley Hill Railway. 

If you would like to donate in his memory to the Motor Neurone Disease Association this can be done here https://adrianshooter.muchloved.com/

If you want to watch the service this is available at 

https://www.funeralstream.tv/shooter

IMG_20230107_170645.jpg

IMG_20230107_122521.jpg

Edited by banburysaint
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, banburysaint said:

The celebration of Adrian's life was held on Saturday 7th January at Fawley Hill Railway. 

If you would like to donate in his memory to the Motor Neurone Disease Association this can be done here https://adrianshooter.muchloved.com/

If you want to watch the service this is available at 

https://www.funeralstream.tv/shooter

IMG_20230107_170645.jpg

IMG_20230107_122521.jpg

Thanks. Would you be able to post a PDF of the full celebration booklet please?

• RMweb Premium
On 08/01/2023 at 09:42, banburysaint said:

Many thanks for posting this - as a contemporary of mine and a man I knew and worked with I found the service so very moving. Adrian was a truly great railwayman in an almost 19th Century way. He surmounted so many challenges to create a rejuvinated railway where only decline was expected. It will be his memorial.

I am over 6ft, Adrian was one of the few railwaymen that I looked up to in many ways...

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4

Had a couple of visits to Beeches and on the last occasion had travelled down in the Bentley that I owned at the ime.  Parking was arranged in the paddock.

Met and him a few times and on my first holiday to India he was on the same trip.  At one airport I spotted him in the queue so joined the same one and I had not realised that it was the business class queue and the airline upgraded me!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, C126 said:

I can not see anything elsewhere on RMWeb, so thought I would post a couple of photographs of the late Adrian Shooter's memorial at Marylebone station.  Sorry for the quality; do add better shots as available.

PICT3056.JPG.b21b4cc928b7af5f3af201ae4014b8d7.JPG

PICT3057.JPG.75383e217b0fb1f4359d6636972b22d1.JPG

Wonderful.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a quick note to alert those interested of the auction of his estate:

https://www.hjpugh.com/catalogue/15f99588d598e2b15425039c1d5224cf/1c3c2c7a814e240ee7e8f414f2bd69cf/the-beeches-light-railway-dispersal-sale-of-the-late-well-re/sale-details/

Hope of interest.  Do re-post under another heading if wished.

Link to on-line catalogue:

https://www.hjpugh.com/catalogue/15f99588d598e2b15425039c1d5224cf/1c3c2c7a814e240ee7e8f414f2bd69cf/the-beeches-light-railway-dispersal-sale-of-the-late-well-re/?maxResults=120

Edited by C126
Added link to catalogue.
  • Informative/Useful 2