Track paint - recommendations

rynd2it

I was recommended to use Humbrol DB0173 matt track paint for airbrushing the track bed, rails etc. However, it seems this particular shade is unobtainable in France and rather than incurring shipping and customs costs etc, is there a suitable alternative that I might be able to find here. There are stockists of Humbrol and Vallejo - just not the one I wanted.

Suggestions please

• RMweb Gold

Track was very varied in its colouring depending on state of weathering.  It really doesn't matter what shade of general brown grot you use.

In the absence of railway colours, military modellers paints are great.

I now try to avoid humbrol paints which are not what they once were. Tamiya, mig and Vallejo acrylics are far superior.

11 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Track was very varied in its colouring depending on state of weathering.  It really doesn't matter what shade of general brown grot you use.

In the absence of railway colours, military modellers paints are great.

I now try to avoid humbrol paints which are not what they once were. Tamiya, mig and Vallejo acrylics are far superior.

Good point, any recommendations from the Valljo range ( I  have some)

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

Good point, any recommendations from the Valljo range ( I  have some)

You can amuse yourself for an hour on line (and mystify your family) by browsing pictures of track.  It varied a lot.  Mix up some brown grot and when the airbrush needs refilling, add other tones.  Mix and match.  I suspect the weathering is darker in the middle, presumably where the passing traffic deposits oil etc.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have the same issue, also living in France. For acrylics, I use the mail order service from Passion 132: https://www.passion132.com/gb/1467-colors

They carry an extensive range of brands and colours, with good prices (far better than Amazon) and excellent mail order service at sensible costs and of course, no Brexit tax!

You do not mention which era you model, although your avatar suggests steam era. This has a distinctive impact on track weathering and prototype photographs are essential to get the right look and feel for your era, particularly with steam, where black oily deposits were not the predominant norm. Station running lines and goods areas are also different. Fortunately, research is fun and informative. I would suggest that you do not simply copy photos of a model railway, as the prototype is the best source for inspiration and accuracy and even black and white photography can be usefully interpreted if you model early 20th century.

Bon courage 😎

2 minutes ago, longchap said:

I have the same issue, also living in France. For acrylics, I use the mail order service from Passion 132: https://www.passion132.com/gb/1467-colors

They carry an extensive range of brands and colours, with good prices (far better than Amazon) and excellent mail order service at sensible costs and of course, no Brexit tax!

You do not mention which era you model, although your avatar suggests steam era. This has a distinctive impact on track weathering and prototype photographs are essential to get the right look and feel for your era, particularly with steam, where black oily deposits were not the predominant norm. Station running lines and goods areas are also different. Fortunately, research is fun and informative. I would suggest that you do not simply copy photos of a model railway, as the prototype is the best source for inspiration and accuracy and even black and white photography can be usefully interpreted if you model early 20th century.

Bon courage 😎

Thank you for that - I will check them out. Any other recommendations for French suppliers would be appreciated, I currently use Baron du Rail, Star boutique and micro modele

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2023 at 21:04, Andy_C said:

Anyone got any links to good tutorials on how to paint/weather track? I’ve done a bit of searching on here, but any hints/pointers much appreciated. 

Andy

No links but I have had good experience with various methods. First off are the Woodland Scenics rail paint felt pens, they work but tend to be a bit too 'orange'; they also can wear out the tips pretty quick. I am currently using very diluted acrylic paints, mixed to get the colour I want and applied using a small paint brush allowing the liquid to soak into the ballast and running the brush along the rail sides. I have also seen an airbrush used to good effect, blending in various shades by varying the number of passes and the size of the spray paint. On a big layout the airbrush saves a lot of time, but probably overkill on a small 009 layout like mine.

1 hour ago, rynd2it said:

No links but I have had good experience with various methods. First off are the Woodland Scenics rail paint felt pens, they work but tend to be a bit too 'orange'; they also can wear out the tips pretty quick. I am currently using very diluted acrylic paints, mixed to get the colour I want and applied using a small paint brush allowing the liquid to soak into the ballast and running the brush along the rail sides. I have also seen an airbrush used to good effect, blending in various shades by varying the number of passes and the size of the spray paint. On a big layout the airbrush saves a lot of time, but probably overkill on a small 009 layout like mine.

Many thanks for responding.

My layout, in N gauge, is quite big. 10ft x 8.5ft chaser.

I've took time to lay the track carefully, so don't want to bodge the track weathering. I'll practice on some waste track etc before daring to do the layout.

I need to immerse myself in some videos, and also get to a shop to look at options. Rails and Digitrains aren't too far from me. I'll also keep looking round on here for good examples.

I have plenty of colour photos of the station, shed and sidings I'm going to do. One is attached.

😉

Andy.

mansfield railway stn colour.jpg

• RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2023 at 20:04, Andy_C said:

Anyone got any links to good tutorials on how to paint/weather track? I’ve done a bit of searching on here, but any hints/pointers much appreciated. 

Andy

Andy

If you can get the book by George Dent, 'Weathering for Railway Modellers - volume 2', there is a section on painting and weathering tracks.

He refers to Railmatch paints for enamel application and Tamiya for acrylics.

I've just hand painted a mix of Railmatch enamels (2:1 ratio of Frame Dirt 402 to Dark Rust 405). As it is hand painted then a pigment of AK Interactive Dark Umber will be needed to tone it down and get a more dusty appearance instead of a shine. Probably not an issue if applied with an air brush.

Other railmatch paints for this are Roof dirt (403) and Weathered Black (412).

Acrylics mix - XF-52 Flat Earth, XF-10 Flat Brown, XF-24 Dark Grey, XF-9 Hull Red and XF-10 Flat Black).

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

If you can get the book by George Dent, 'Weathering for Railway Modellers - volume 2', there is a section on painting and weathering tracks.

He refers to Railmatch paints for enamel application and Tamiya for acrylics.

I've just hand painted a mix of Railmatch enamels (2:1 ratio of Frame Dirt 402 to Dark Rust 405). As it is hand painted then a pigment of AK Interactive Dark Umber will be needed to tone it down and get a more dusty appearance instead of a shine. Probably not an issue if applied with an air brush.

Other railmatch paints for this are Roof dirt (403) and Weathered Black (412).

Acrylics mix - XF-52 Flat Earth, XF-10 Flat Brown, XF-24 Dark Grey, XF-9 Hull Red and XF-10 Flat Black).

Hi Dave.

I might have that book, and have not read it properly!

Thank you for your paint use suggestions.

Andy