The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2023

didcot

On 04/03/2023 at 00:24, Andrew P said:

Hmmm - one has to wonder...

...still, surely nobody in their right mind would take him on, simply on merit. Coming bearing a fistful of images of dead Presidents though - well, who knows?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LNERandBR said:

They not only have the cost cap penalty, they have less testing time due to being first in the constructors last year.

I'd argue that Merc being 3rd last year will put them in a better position for making improvements this year. Granted, they have less prize money but I'm sure they've still got plenty of investment moneys.

The RB penalties will not have affected the development of their 2023 car. They have clearly got their design concept right and hence they can take advantage of this years prize pot. An example of cheats prospering?

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Hmmm - one has to wonder...

...still, surely nobody in their right mind would take him on, simply on merit. Coming bearing a fistful of images of dead Presidents though - well, who knows?

PLUS He had time to prove that he was only there because of his DADS MONEY. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The RB penalties will not have affected the development of their 2023 car. They have clearly got their design concept right and hence they can take advantage of this years prize pot. An example of cheats prospering?

Just as a lot of very knowledgeable people predicted would happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Never said it affected their development to this point.

It's their ongoing development this year and development of next years car that will be affected. Not only by their penalty for breaching the cost cap but also for being 1st in the constructors.

This will be the test for these regulations. To see if they can stop Red Bull running away in the ongoing development race and see if any other teams can keep up.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

When do last year's accounts get ratified? It seemed to come about quite late last year for 2021 such that I always felt Christian would have already bought the 2022 cucumber sandwiches.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I must admit that that wasn't the result I was hoping for - it doesn't bode well for the season to be another RB runaway.

Credit where due, I thought Gasly did well to finish in the points.  Valtteri will be keeping the Mercs honest for another year.  A solid start for Sargeant - carry on (geddit?) like that and you'll outscore Latifa's total points haul before the season reaches half way.

Is it me, or does anyone else hear Fred Basset as the Team Principal at Ferrari?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You can imagine the secret negotiations.

FIA: we have to be seen to punish you, what will hurt you least?

RB: Aero testing, we have that nailed and cant do much more.

FIA: ok, deal done!

On 06/03/2023 at 20:19, Jol Wilkinson said:

Edited by 57xx
Speeling mistucks
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It may be so.

If only Mr Bean was a little less charmless and more likable, and Whinger Horner could keep his trap shut then I would be able to watch F1 without gritting my teeth...

Clearly you don’t remember the times when Toto would be downplaying Mercedes chances  and then them romping off to a 1-2 victory 40 seconds ahead of everyone else.

Edited by OnTheBranchline

1 minute ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Clearly you don’t remember the times when Toto would be downplaying Mercedes chances  and then them romping off to a 1-2 victory 40 seconds ahead of everyone else.

Downplaying chances is just pre-race gamesmanship.  If anyone else is taken in by that, then they deserve what they get. 

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Interesting. Another story I don’t give much credence to is the one that claims Mercedes (the car company) have told Mercedes (the F1 team) that unless they are better at the next race, they’ll have to give their best engines to Aston Martin and throw all their weight behind Alonso for this year.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Interesting. Another story I don’t give much credence to is the one that claims Mercedes (the car company) have told Mercedes (the F1 team) that unless they are better at the next race, they’ll have to give their best engines to Aston Martin and throw all their weight behind Alonso for this year.

Probably by a Spaniard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Since Toto has a one-third share in the ownership of the F1 team, I don't see Mercedes-Benz AG dictating anything without substantial negotiation. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, 37114 said:

Interesting that the 2 Mercedes drivers bookend that chart. Shows how much faith Mercedes had in GR to wait that long.

GR had chances to get that point sooner  (in spite of how that Williams car was on occasion) - but he threw it away on multiple occasions (ironically more notably both at Imola (2020 & 2021).

Not to mention that a one armed man scored a point before him (Kubica - Germany 2019). 

Edited by OnTheBranchline