The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2023

didcot

2 minutes ago, didcot said:

Top 3 will be interesting tomorrow. Hopefully Crashtappen has a penalty for a new gearbox.

That happens and watch out for Whinger Horners verbal pyrotechnics....

• Agree 1

Sorry but another snorefest and my dislike of the Verstappens deepens.

As for "they put the safety car out because the GPS said Stroll's car was on the track" didn't anyone think of looking at the TV screen or perhaps look out the window?

What have McLaren done to last years car?

• Agree 5

29 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

What have McLaren done to last years car?

I guess they've simply not moved as far forward as their competitors. It happens but it is sad to see from a team who was winning regularly a few years ago.

23 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

As for "they put the safety car out because the GPS said Stroll's car was on the track" didn't anyone think of looking at the TV screen or perhaps look out the window?

And why did it take nearly 40 laps and a visit to the podium before deciding Alonso's rear jack was touching the car. The stewards had virtually nothing else to do all race so that's 2 farces. Well done!

The officials started off well. They announced their initial investigation of Alonso while the race was only half a lap old. There is no excuse for taking longer than this to decide to investigate.

There was another ridiculous incident later on. Both Red Bulls cut a corner & it looked pre-determined. The commentators picked it up as saving some time & pointed out that it they would not get penalised if they only did it twice, therefore it was a good tactic.

I don't blame the drivers for doing this or the team for telling them to, but the rules should deter it.

Another ridiculous decision was to let Sargeant start the race. He failed to qualify within 107% of the leader. It seems that every time someone fails to do this, they are granted special permission to start. Why bother with the rule if they are going to do this every time? If a rule is not enforced, it should be scrapped, never ignored.

• Like 1

Another home goal for the FIA and Stewards. What were they doing for 30 odd laps! Oh did we miss something, never mind we will look at it later....much later. Oops Alonso is on the podium, panic, quick get him off, ah to late, never mind, my watch has stopped, what time is it, 10 seconds penalty for Alonso. Best wipe his finger prints off the trophies and give the prize money to Mercedes. What's that it takes a week for a refund from Aston Martin. FIA = Muppets

• Agree 1

And now Crashtappen whinging about his car not being up to scratch and critising the team. What a spoilt petulant little w@#$%r. Compared to Alonso who has been very magnanimous in the face of adversity. 

Off for a lay down in a dark room.

Edited by didcot
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, didcot said:

SPOILER ALERT. 

Verstappens really are poor losers! Jos can't even look at Perez, let alone congratulate him. Says it all really. 

Explains the sprog's attitude too - apple, tree...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been watching F1 since the early ‘70s and indeed was a marshal at Silverstone from ‘72 to mid ‘90s, including the F1 races there.  The way the FIA are managing these races now is deeply disappointing. The issue over the the deployment of the Safety Car to day was awful.  Stroll’s car was clearly not a danger to the competitors and the most it needed was a VSC.  Then the matter of Alonso’s penalty was deeply odd to say the least.  One wonders what advantage he could have obtained by being to one side of the grid box in today’s race.  Then to let him take the 5 second penalty during the SC stop was questionable.  That it then took the rest of the race to decide a jack ‘may’ have touched the car, and to increase the penalty to 10 seconds after the podium ceremony, was amateur.  And then to reverse that decision ….. well words fail me.  

Drivers will be liked and disliked. All drivers have egos and are by essence aggressive. That’s part of the sport.  I’m not a Verstappen fan, but, hey I wasn’t a Piquet, Schumacher or Senna fan either.  But that’s just personal likes/dislikes.  That the FIA are constantly and continually bad at stewardship decisions is very worrying and challenges my continuing support of the Formula.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just woke up to discover the inept stewards have now reinstated Alonso following their ridiculously drawn out decision to give him a second penalty as a jack may have touched his car after the initial penalty for being a few inches wide of his grid slot.

Added to the safety car farce a complete shambles springs to mind. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Martino said:

I’m not a Verstappen fan, but, hey I wasn’t a Piquet, Schumacher or Senna fan either. 

Join the club. Verstappen only exists for himself, resents Perez winning, while Lewis says George got setup right and he didn't. Max displays Senna-esque invincibility, and we have to hope he doesn't meet the same fate. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Join the club. Verstappen only exists for himself, resents Perez winning, while Lewis says George got setup right and he didn't. Max displays Senna-esque invincibility, and we have to hope he doesn't meet the same fate. 

Did you see Jos' face after the race? completely blanked Perez

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, Martino said:

I’ve been watching F1 since the early ‘70s and indeed was a marshal at Silverstone from ‘72 to mid ‘90s, including the F1 races there.  The way the FIA are managing these races now is deeply disappointing. The issue over the the deployment of the Safety Car to day was awful.  Stroll’s car was clearly not a danger to the competitors and the most it needed was a VSC.  Then the matter of Alonso’s penalty was deeply odd to say the least.  One wonders what advantage he could have obtained by being to one side of the grid box in today’s race.  Then to let him take the 5 second penalty during the SC stop was questionable.  That it then took the rest of the race to decide a jack ‘may’ have touched the car, and to increase the penalty to 10 seconds after the podium ceremony, was amateur.  And then to reverse that decision ….. well words fail me.  

Drivers will be liked and disliked. All drivers have egos and are by essence aggressive. That’s part of the sport.  I’m not a Verstappen fan, but, hey I wasn’t a Piquet, Schumacher or Senna fan either.  But that’s just personal likes/dislikes.  That the FIA are constantly and continually bad at stewardship decisions is very worrying and challenges my continuing support of the Formula.

I have no issue with the decisions themselves. If drivers are required to line up in their pit box, then outside is an infringement. When does it become wrong? 1mm outside or 10m outside, in front of the next car? Alonso was most definitely outside though, so he was at fault & quite right to be penalised.

Placing the first infringement under investigation before the end of lap 1 is a huge improvement over recent grid penalties so I commend them on that.
Whether the penalty was served correctly is again another decision for the stewards & I don't have a problem with what they decide as long as it follows the rules.

Waiting for 30 laps before investigating the pit stop/penalty infringement is appalling though. If they are suspicious of it being served incorrectly, they should inform the teams about the investigation immediately.

• Agree 3

That was another race I feel I could've just watched the 15 minutes of highlights on YouTube...

Aside from the FIA and steward based shenanigans, what a boring race. It seems the performance deficits that have been present for the whole hybrid era continue, ie if you have the fastest car and start last you'll still finish at the front. OK so verstappen finished second from 15th, because his team mate wouldn't let up, but there's such a differential between each team that the cars often come home two by two. Whilst it was a failure not a penalty in this occasion, it makes a mockery of the "back of the grid" penalties when they team know they can still win. 

Is the time coming for the FIA to introduce balance of performance the bring the competition closer? No of course not, because the teams and Liberty wouldn't like it.

Jo

• Agree 3