RMweb

Formula 1 2023

didcot

1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

Why am I not surprised ......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/67303406

what an objectionable person he is ☹️

I do not imagine he will do anything to help Checo but the media like to twist whatever they claim people have said. What they printed in the headline was not from a quote they used in the text (& I doubt he said it at all).

The drivers seem to get on quite well with each other but you would not believe that if you accept all the media trash about them.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I don't expect for a second that should Max be leading Checo he will let him pass though. Still, I can't see George doing that for Hamilton either. As we have said, they are racers.

Funny thing, everyone jumps on Max but George is just as bad - in his case wanting for the team to help him get past Hamilton. 

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 1

That's probably because Mercedes see George as their future #1 driver and he is not put in the position of his predecessor; "Valtteri, this is James...."  So far they have not particularly asked either Lewis or George to move over for their teammate regularly. Although had Lewis been chasing down the Driver's Championship, maybe they would....

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Rain stops Q3, so the first run was the only one to be competitive. Pity.

It’s not like they would have gone faster with the rain anyway since the first runs in Q3 were in the dry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

That's probably because Mercedes see George as their future #1 driver and he is not put in the position of his predecessor; "Valtteri, this is James...."  So far they have not particularly asked either Lewis or George to move over for their teammate regularly. Although had Lewis been chasing down the Driver's Championship, maybe they would....

George is a good-very good driver but he’s not great (yet). He’s definitely been shaded by Hamilton this year.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, The Lurker said:

You've summed it up nicely. I saw somewhere that the frequently quote phrase of "Valterri, this is James" was only actually used 5 times, but repeated by the media so frequently that it seems it was actually more often.

But when was it used? Only once when both had a reasonable chance to fight for the title, & not only were they on different strategies, but Lewis returned the favour by letting Valterri past 1-2 races later.

There is also a lot more to team orders & strategy than radio calls which are publicly broadcast. RB have sent out Perez at a bad time to set a good lap more than once (including today). Their strategists have earned themselves a very good reputation too, so I fail to believe that they just made a poor choice on each occasion.

• Like 4

On 29/10/2023 at 09:38, SR71 said:

I'm presuming nothing happened to Verstappen for stopping at the end of the pit lane for a picnic then?

Reported here that Russell has got a two-place grid penalty for the Brazil race for "driving slowly" in the pit exit.  Inconsistently applied rules yet again?

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Reported here that Russell has got a two-place grid penalty for the Brazil race for "driving slowly" in the pit exit.  Inconsistently applied rules yet again?

It was explained on TV during practise. They can drive slowly, but must do so on the extreme left of the lane to allow others to pass.

This rule was only updated within the last week. There was no penalty for it in Mexico so there is no lack of consistency with its application.

The problem is that it is still yet another hastily written rule. Some tracks have pit lanes which are not wide enough to allow 2 cars side by side so they will have to fiddle with it again.

I have said before that rules should not be changed mid-season because when it happens, it seems to be thought through poorly, creating a different problem.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

They already have that in Formula E

And then they’ll start cheat codes and it’ll be no different from a computer game. Fan ‘boost’ is literally the most stupid idea going for something that thinks it’s, or is it purports to be, a sport!

• Agree 7

Sprint races were created for entertainment, so let's make them more likely to be entertaining.

The Sprint Race has already been disconnected from the main race on Sunday so the first thing I would change is to allow setup changes between the Sprint and race on Sunday. This may mean paying with when Qualifying is held though.

To allow for that, get rid of sprint qualifying and have the grid set by championship order. However, have those 1st in the championship at the back and those last at the front.

Everyone who finishes the sprint then gets points towards a 'Sprint Championship'. 20 for first down to 1 for last. Those at the top of the Sprint Leaderboard at the end are crowned Sprint Champion and gain points towards the main championship. These count towards both Drivers and Constructors. This should be for just the top ten in the leaderboard with the same payout as a full race.

There should be no more than half the race weekends in the year specified as Sprint Weekends. If the total mileage covered by the Sprint Championship is at least a full race difference you effectively have another race on the calendar. Succeed in the sprint championship and it could make a difference to the main championship but it becomes another challenge to overcome instead of just being racing for racing sake, especially for those at the back of the grid who have no chance of earning points in the current sprint setup.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

The last couple of laps with Alonso and Perez was exciting. Where did the Aston pace suddenly come from?

Well done Lando but still the bridesmaid.

Maybe they have been struggling to get the setup right for most circuits? They claimed that their updates have not worked, so they have reverted to an earlier configuration. I think there is more to it than that though.

It does seem like some tracks produce atypical results & this has been one of them.

Mercedes seemed to struggle. Hamilton was visibly sliding on the second lap. Their reason was they got the setup wrong. With Parc Ferme set after P1, this gives all teams little time to make adjustments. Judging from the driver's conference before the weekend, 1 practise session seems to be popular, possibly because they know some can get their setup wrong & be stuck with it.

As for the race, I really dislike standing starts after a red flag. It may give drivers a second chance to make a good start, but why should they? If they made places first time around, they do not deserve to be pulled back and defend them with another start procedure. It allows teams to cause an incident to gain an advantage. We hope it never happens but it has done, in Singapore 2008. There is an alternative, which is a rolling start.

At least the repaired cars had to start from the back. I don't think any changes, not even new tyres, should be allowed in the pit lane itself during a red flag.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Although the spraint gave some exciting action, with more than anticipated overtakes, the format doesn’t allow teams to experiment and find the optimum set up for the main race.  No more was this apparent than with Mercedes who were uncompetitive come the main race.  You can’t have it both ways - while I accept that it’s equally up to the technicians to use whatever limited feedback is available, it does mean that some teams will be compromised and not being at their best - which is surely what we all want to see.

Really great move by Fernando to take back third on the last lap - you could see the delight in his face in the interview and on the podium - but it now looks as though the “race” for second in the championship has defaulted to Sergio.

• Like 2