Tamiya Electric Handy Drill.

JZ

Chatting to people in some of the US forums I am in, this seems to be a popular piece of kit. It's small size and low speed make it ideal for use on plastics and wood. However, I cannot find a UK stockist with it in stock and postage from other parts of the World is excessively expensive, much more than the drill itself. Other than using hand drills, I use a Black & Decker screwdriver with a chuck, which is rather clumsy.

Anyone used one? Or know where I can get one here?

Edited by JZ
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi JZ,

We are Tamiya stockists.

There are a number of Tamiya products that we are not allowed to stock in the UK. This is one of them. When l have asked why l have been told COSHH Regulations etc. Other items include polishing compounds, panel line wash etc.

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hi JZ,

We are Tamiya stockists.

There are a number of Tamiya products that we are not allowed to stock in the UK. This is one of them. When l have asked why l have been told COSHH Regulations etc. Other items include polishing compounds, panel line wash etc.

Thanks for letting me know this.

Julian

• RMweb Gold

€ 13,54  28%OFF | USB Cordless Drill Mini Wireless Engraving Polishing Pen Electric Drill For Jewelry Metal Dremel Tools Dust Drilling Carving
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtHVUNo

A bit too late for you, but I found one (many similar designs available) of these more comfortable and practical, enough grunt to drill through baseboards and 3 speeds for different applications.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

€ 13,54  28%OFF | USB Cordless Drill Mini Wireless Engraving Polishing Pen Electric Drill For Jewelry Metal Dremel Tools Dust Drilling Carving
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtHVUNo

A bit too late for you, but I found one (many similar designs available) of these more comfortable and practical, enough grunt to drill through baseboards and 3 speeds for different applications.

Mike.

Had one of these. It is now in landfill. I already have a Dremel and a very useful tool it is. I think for many of the jobs I have, a pistol grip is more comfortable. Baseboards and the like can be handled with my Bosch cordless, the Tamiya is just for work bench models.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a small hand held screwdriver and wondered if anyone had used one of these to convert it to a drill.  Seems like a possible and very cost effective alternative to the Tamiya drill?

The Amazon reviews are a little mixed, but for <£10 it is probably worth a punt?

Steve

image.png.74be9620704912b03c94f33d53db9594.png

4 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

I have a small hand held screwdriver and wondered if anyone had used one of these to convert it to a drill.  Seems like a possible and very cost effective alternative to the Tamiya drill?

The Amazon reviews are a little mixed, but for <£10 it is probably worth a punt?

Steve

I have one of these to go in my Black & Decker screwdriver. I took a chance on it at the price, despite the reviews and found it useful. It certainly  has it's uses, but I was after something lighter and smaller.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

Steve

I've got one of those, not as accurate as one might hope for. tends to wobble a bit.

When I bought a Black & Decker screwdriver many moons ago you could (still?) get drill sets with hex shafts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Hong Kong is no longer part of the Empire😉

Hadn't spotted that as they were using a UK website and quoting in pounds sterling.*

(I assumed they had UK stock as some other HK based companies that I have used have.)

*I bought a genuine Acer laptop supply from one and it was sent from HK (very rapidly) and then posted on to me 1st class in the UK. took about 5 days IIRC

Therefore no import VAT etc.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hadn't spotted that they were using a UK website and q

Once their postage was taken into account, it was cheaper to use the Japanese source.

I found something similar to this drill in the centre aisle of Aldi, for I think £9.99, rechargeable, not a precision tool, but useful and handy, three year guarantee, I found some hex drive drill bits and chuck at B and Q. Always worth a look at Lidl and Aldi to see what is there, often really odd things.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I find pin vices ideal for small drill bits.

I can get down to a fraction of a mm and still use them in an electric drill chuck (very carefully)

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, fulton said:

I found something similar to this drill in the centre aisle of Aldi

I've found quite a few useful modelling tools at Aldi

I've got a thing a bit like a Dremel, it has a stand to hang it from and a useful length flexible drive cable, as well as being used hand held.

It's mains powered (160W) with a variable speed control and comes with a selection of collets and some tools. (Grinding wheels, wood cutters etc.)

I can't remember the price but it was certainly very reasonable.

I've also got their Multifunction Tool, another useful modelling tool.

Another good piece of kit was their set of Boach fitting jigsaw blades but with a handle to use them manually.

Plus a set of twist drills with all sizes in both LH & RH twists - what are they for?🙂

They aren't up to the quality of higher price equivalents, but perfectly OK for modelling use.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, melmerby said:

I've found quite a few useful modelling tools at Aldi

I've got a thing a bit like a Dremel, it has a stand to hang it from and a useful length flexible drive cable, as well as being used hand held.

It's mains powered (160W) with a variable speed control and comes with a selection of collets and some tools. (Grinding wheels, wood cutters etc.)

I can't remember the price but it was certainly very reasonable.

I've also got their Multifunction Tool, another useful modelling tool.

Another good piece of kit was their set of Boach fitting jigsaw blades but with a handle to use them manually.

They aren't up to the quality of higher price equivalents, but perfectly OK for modelling use.

Don't have an Aldi near me, but I have picked up quite a few decent, for modelling, tools in Lidl. A Dremel type one I bought failed within a few months, but 10 years later, some of the bits and tools that came with it are still in use.

Plus a set of twist drills with all sizes in both LH & RH twists - what are they for?🙂

They are for when you are working under the baseboards and also for use in the southern hemisphere.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2023 at 06:48, JZ said:

A Dremel type one I bought failed within a few months,

I have always found that Lidl will readily exchange/refund (delete as appropriate) if their products fail or are at fault.  I believe they guarantee their power tools for 2 yrs?

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

I have always found that Lidl will readily exchange/refund (delete as appropriate) if their products fail or are at fault.  I believe they guarantee their power tools for 2 yrs?

Same with Aldi, Their electrical stuff is guaranteed 3 years.