Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

GWR Edwardian design and printing

Thanks. I might have seen that drawing somewhere before, but can't put my finger on it. Good to see the 3-arc dimensions for an 8'-wide vehicle. Her e's the 8'6"-wide version, which is significantly different, but I can't pin down the location of the side radius from the centreline.

roof-radii1.png.4c8d35f67b9019229b399cc4220b41c5.png

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Thanks. I might have seen that drawing somewhere before, but can't put my finger on it. Good to see the 3-arc dimensions for an 8'-wide vehicle. Her e's the 8'6"-wide version, which is significantly different, but I can't pin down the location of the side radius from the centreline.

If you have the heights at the centre  and the eaves I believe that would constrain the ? dimension. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I believe these dimension must be diameter, not radius, as they would lead to an almost flat roof.

But very useful information. 

here is what i am thinking.

1878422528_86coachenddimensions.jpg.4618fee69762c5bcdfa785e43621c6af.jpg

Edited by stevel

It's not just rolling stock needed, so here is the latest test print, for the Brunel type A viaduct fans.

used my regular mix of Siraya tech resin on the Anycubic mono X, this completly filled the build plate and too 9 hours.

602312944_BentA.JPG.630a55df3531e2f769af87ff56c301a6.JPG

Straight off the printer after a wash in meths.

1822790079_typeA1.JPG.fe1e25885251b2aa11f22993c3b634c8.JPG

with the fish wagon placed on top

189002876_typeA.JPG.e9df270db49d764757ca269588fd8751.JPG

there is some warping that will need some breakaway supports, but overall happy with the outcome.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If you're modelling Penryn, is it before Collegewood viaduct rebuild and the realigning ?

Muvva was from Penryn and I still have cousins there. I have some pics but not a lot. The station was a shell of it's former self when I first remember visiting in the mid 60's (aged 4-5 in shorts)

1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

If you're modelling Penryn, is it before Collegewood viaduct rebuild and the realigning ?

Muvva was from Penryn and I still have cousins there. I have some pics but not a lot. The station was a shell of it's former self when I first remember visiting in the mid 60's (aged 4-5 in shorts)

I am modelling the period 1906-08, because of my interest in the Edwardian period, plus the bonus the Brunel viaducts. I have not yet, been able to find pictures of the signal box, or station building, from the opposite platform showing the layout of the windows etc, though I do have the length of the station.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You've probably already seen the Cornwall railway Society site but worth a look if not

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/falmouth-branch.html

My brother has a Penryn- Falmouth Token (pic on the site)

These might not be of much help but you never know. I have a file somewhere on the hard drives with some other pics but b*ggered if I can find them. I'll keep digging, I'll also ask my brother if he has anything.

Penryn10.jpg.ab91f50e04a31f4af3f211c263f8176d.jpgPenryn12.jpg.f435ab0709f7b4684a0bfcf3497c2a1a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

You've probably already seen the Cornwall railway Society site but worth a look if not

These might not be of much help but you never know. I have a file somewhere on the hard drives with some other pics but b*ggered if I can find them. I'll keep digging, I'll also ask my brother if he has anything.

Penryn10.jpg.ab91f50e04a31f4af3f211c263f8176d.jpgPenryn12.jpg.f435ab0709f7b4684a0bfcf3497c2a1a.jpg

that is an excellent resource, and has been helpful in getting started on the goods shed, once I found the outer dimensions.

2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Where can these photos be found on the CRly web site?

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Western Star said:

Where can these photos be found on the CRly web site?

The 2 pics I loaded were on eBay, if you click on them to expand them, then click on them again they should open in another tab/window. You can then save them to your PC.

If it doesn't work I'll send them.

41 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

The 2 pics I loaded were on eBay, if you click on them to expand them, then click on them again they should open in another tab/window. You can then save them to your PC.

Thank you,

regards, Graham

• Like 1

Just found this thread. I look forward to further updates as I too model Edwardian GWR (albeit in 2mm Finescale).  I too have delved into 3D modelling (with prints done by Shapeways several years ago), having produced outside framed van, AA16, W1,2 & 3 cattle wagons.

The Brunel viaduct looks very promising - I constructed one 4’ long from wood when I modelled in 4mm scale some 30 years ago.

Ian

PS Images of my 3D printed wagons can be found fairly early in my Modbury layout thread (or on my website www.modbury2fs.co.uk)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian Smith said:

Just found this thread. I look forward to further updates as I too model Edwardian GWR (albeit in 2mm Finescale).  I too have delved into 3D modelling (with prints done by Shapeways several years ago), having produced outside framed van, AA16, W1,2 & 3 cattle wagons.

The Brunel viaduct looks very promising - I constructed one 4’ long from wood when I modelled in 4mm scale some 30 years ago.

Ian

PS Images of my 3D printed wagons can be found fairly early in my Modbury layout thread (or on my website www.modbury2fs.co.uk)

Ian, your 3d prints were part of my inspiration, to 3d print what I need for my proposed layout. So little is available for the period,  I'm currently working on getting everything sprung, using all 3d printed parts, didn't manage with the 6 wheelers, went using MJT W-irons, but have managed to get them sprung and centre floating, Things look promising with 4 wheelers and bogies, and I will share some pics and details when I'm happy with them.

here is a glimpse.

308082605_Sprungw-irons.jpg.67aad680119c9312e4b2e986f49aa36d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

9 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

What is the dimension between the rear face of the W-iron and the rear face of the carrier?

The dimension is .9mm, this is the first concept drawing, and changes have been made as I print and test. The bottom of the carrier now has a notch to allow easier insertion of the wheels.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2023 at 19:53, stevel said:

that looks useful, thanks.

I'm not sure where I got this one it maybe from RM. It's of a K3 brake.

151363059_endradii.png.3ffcc2add8516d6beb89648ba0bb5019.png

I think it's a Mike Morton Lloyd drawing published in, I think, the MRC.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have been busy with more drawing and printing, and did my first 4 wagon print. The N3 has the latest version of breakaways, design because of issues with the earlier design, as can be seen on the Van and Siphn roof. They have proved to be easier to clean up as well. This Anycubic Mono X has proved to be faster and cleaner printer than the old Mono SE. 

IMG_5936.JPG.993d169d639cb86b483d39500aec90b2.JPG

IMG_5942.JPG.8d033ec5aa2d46263704bed4b33e2486.JPG

IMG_5944.JPG.5171718c8725d489aaa867c9ef3178d1.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

You been a busy chap, some lovely prints, and yeah i agree the Mono X is a cracking machine and a workhorse im considering the 8K version.... gawd knows why i just like shiny new things ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, stevel said:

This Anycubic Mono X has proved to be faster and cleaner printer than the old Mono SE. 

I’m pleased with my mono x from a print quality point of view and even more so since installing a flexible build plate. The only irksome thing I find is that it definitely seems a fair bit slower than my Mars 2 pro (a cracking little machine btw). I expect it’s my settings, I wonder if you could point me to an optimum setting list for both quality and speed?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PhilH said:

I’m pleased with my mono x from a print quality point of view and even more so since installing a flexible build plate. The only irksome thing I find is that it definitely seems a fair bit slower than my Mars 2 pro (a cracking little machine btw). I expect it’s my settings, I wonder if you could point me to an optimum setting list for both quality and speed?

Phil, it depends on what resin you are using, for the Siraya Tech Mix that I use, I don't print with a raft, it makes it easier to remove the print.

settings are 15 sec, for base layers, lift and retract are 120mm/min, 50 um, light off 0.5, exposure 1.6 sec, lift distance 1.6 mm.

and I print only once the resin is very warm, between 20-30C.

5 hours ago, Schooner said:

Those are dangerous things to be advertising round this neck of the woods, Steve: they look excellent...

...and some of us are in the market for another early Siphon... :)

Top stuff, keep it up!

I have been thinking of selling prints but the shipping from Canada could put people off the idea.