New Modular Baseboard Guide - Our Baseboard Range Demystified!

ScaleModelScenery

Morning all!

As many of you probably already know, we do quite a range of baseboards here at Scale Model Scenery but because they've kinda been developed in an ad-hoc way as customers have requested different shapes and sizes, the range can look a little confusing at first glace. So Iain's been busy writing the definitive guide to our baseboard range, explaining which boards are compatible with each other and what they're suitable for...

If you're looking for a modular baseboard for your micro layout or model railway, read the complete guide to our baseboard range here.

Cheers

J

Baseboards Explained.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

Oddly specific question: is there room in a 77L box to put two BB029 sets, one placed upside down such that the two together essentially form a cuboid, or does one alone fit in too snugly? A spare 3 or 4mm on each side should be enough? Got a couple of layout ideas that might work if a second fiddle yard module could be squeezed in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newdecade1986 said:

Oddly specific question: is there room in a 77L box to put two BB029 sets, one placed upside down such that the two together essentially form a cuboid, or does one alone fit in too snugly? A spare 3 or 4mm on each side should be enough? Got a couple of layout ideas that might work if a second fiddle yard module could be squeezed in.

It might just go but it would be very tight. The fitting of the lid might be the issue to be honest.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, ScaleModelScenery said:

It might just go but it would be very tight. The fitting of the lid might be the issue to be honest.

Two BB029's just received. Dry assembly of part of one baseboard indicates that what@newdecade1986suggests  should work, depending on what structures are on the layout board, as there seems to be room to tuck the backscene of the upside down board in front of the baseboard that's in the bottom of the box. Might mark the end backscene or the front of the layout board.  

Andrew

Edited by Sitham Yard

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Which boards are needed to fit the 77l box? Is it the BB29? 

Yes. BB029 actually comes in two parts that have to be joined and has one end backscene board that can go either end. I think BB017 also fits and has two end backscene boards although it is not clear (to me) from either the website listing or the blog  

Andrew

• RMweb Gold
On 27/01/2023 at 23:15, newdecade1986 said:

Thanks Andrew, if you get the chance to do a full test fit to confirm it would be hugely appreciated! You've got what I was thinking. 

Still no further than dry run assembly but having tested using two complete baseboards,  the lid will not fit and there will definitely be damage to the backscene as it is a very tight fit.  Dry run was straightforward once I realised that the cross members only fit one way round. Particularly with an end backscene, masking tape to hold the joints is very helpful in the absence of a third hand.   

The modular construction means that with a baseboard fitting a 77L box you have 2 modules that are only really joined below baseboard level with the actual baseboard and backscene board just butt joins. For a permanent joint, I would be inclined to join the backscene on the visible side with a glued piece of MDF or ply disguised by a building.

I think I have now sorted out my confusion. The best thing is to just refer to the guide mentioned which is actually a blog. @ScaleModelScenery I think the description of BB021 on the website is confusing in that it mention BB020 which does not appear to exist and I presume should read BB029.

Andrew

12 hours ago, Sitham Yard said:

Still no further than dry run assembly but having tested using two complete baseboards,  the lid will not fit and there will definitely be damage to the backscene as it is a very tight fit.  Dry run was straightforward once I realised that the cross members only fit one way round. Particularly with an end backscene, masking tape to hold the joints is very helpful in the absence of a third hand.   

The modular construction means that with a baseboard fitting a 77L box you have 2 modules that are only really joined below baseboard level with the actual baseboard and backscene board just butt joins. For a permanent joint, I would be inclined to join the backscene on the visible side with a glued piece of MDF or ply disguised by a building.

I think I have now sorted out my confusion. The best thing is to just refer to the guide mentioned which is actually a blog. @ScaleModelScenery I think the description of BB021 on the website is confusing in that it mention BB020 which does not appear to exist and I presume should read BB029.

Andrew

There should be no problems fitting an assembled BB017 or 29 in a 77L box. Yes the boards are only joined at baseboard level. If you want a permanent joint at the top we're happy to supply an offcut of 4mm MDF which can be glued at the top of the backscene joint. It's what we did on our Dunn Street Yard layout.

The BB020 is actually a thing. It's a special we did for BRM magazine and it's actually just 2 x BB021 boards. 

Thanks

J