Airbrush compressor recommendations?

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

My compressor went bang yesterday.  The cam on the end of the motor has sheared off. It is very old. I have tried a repair but it failed, I will try again today.  It is obviously a high stress area so needs to be a strong joint.

So now I am looking for a possible replacement.  Looking on Amazon I see two types:

https://amzn.eu/d/4o224iH this is very similar to the one i am replacing at £63. Otherwise I see there are ones with tanks such as Fengda Airbrush https://amzn.eu/d/aMEjEdu 

I am using this to power an iwata neo for painting my OO models.

Any recommendations?

Thanks 

Ian

Edited by ikcdab

• RMweb Premium

I've had one of the ubiquitous AS-186 models with a tank for quite a lot of years.  I say ubiquitous because the very same model seems to appear under a variety of different names, all retailing at round about the £80 mark. The Fengda on Amazon is one such.  They are of course made in China and there must be millions of them in use all over the world.  In any event, mine has given me excellent and troublefree service and I'd recommend it.  Tank or no tank?  The general online view appears to be that a compressor with a tank avoids possible pulsating and delivers a steady and constant airstream, that it allows fior much quieter operation in that the motor only operates when the tank needs to be repressurised which means that its working for only about half the time that a tankless compressor works, and because of that it should also last longer - see https://www.airbrushmodeler.com/airbrush-compressor-need-tank/ .  If you're not worried about it being a little bit heavier and bulkier I'd suggest you pay the extra tenner and get the one with the tank.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies.  I visited my local wargaming and RC model shop and chatted to them. They recommended the timbertech kit (no tank) and I bought one.  Its been great so far!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/01/2023 at 20:21, Enfys_Rainbow said:

I know a lot of people like the bigger versions with a tank, but I've never seen the attraction personally.

The question of which type of compressor is suitable will depend on how much you use it and for how long. A compressor without a tank will be banging away constantly, in order to maintain pressure, and will run very hot during a long session of spraying. When I started my career as an airbrush artist, many years ago, I could only afford a simple compressor. After a couple of years of heavy use it finally broke its con-rod when it seized up, so I bought a 'proper' one with a tank as replacement.

The biggest advantage of having a tank, apart from the guaranteed smooth airflow and lack of condensation, is that it gives the compressor a rest and the chance to cool down in the intervals when it's not working.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

The question of which type of compressor is suitable will depend on how much you use it and for how long. A compressor without a tank will be banging away constantly, in order to maintain pressure, and will run very hot during a long session of spraying. When I started my career as an airbrush artist, many years ago, I could only afford a simple compressor. After a couple of years of heavy use it finally broke its con-rod when it seized up, so I bought a 'proper' one with a tank as replacement.

The biggest advantage of having a tank, apart from the guaranteed smooth airflow and lack of condensation, is that it gives the compressor a rest and the chance to cool down in the intervals when it's not working.

David

Thank you.  The one I bought does not have a tank.  But I find that the compressor only runs for about 50% of the time, certainly it is not running continuously.  It does have a long hose, maybe that acts as a tank. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

But I find that the compressor only runs for about 50% of the time, certainly it is not running continuously.

It looks like the simple compressors like yours have moved on a bit since I had mine. Yours has 'auto stop & start', so presumably you must also have a long air line to allow that to work, and also heat protection.

Happy spraying!

David

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2023 at 23:43, Torper said:

The general online view appears to be that a compressor with a tank avoids possible pulsating and delivers a steady and constant airstream, that it allows fior much quieter operation in that the motor only operates when the tank needs to be repressurised which means that its working for only about half the time that a tankless compressor works

Pulsating airflow is a fallacy. My compressor has no tank and it does not pulsate at all. If there is any pulsing generated by the pump, the pressure regulator will be smoothing it out along with the hose.

Noise-wise, they aren't exactly noisy anyhow, certainly for short modelling sessions. It if was my Makita compressor powering my airbrush, it would be a different matter. If you're going to run one all day everyday, then one of these AS186 types is probably not the best option anyhow.

Regarding overheating mentioned elswhere, again small modelling sessions of 2-3 wagons haven't taxed my tankless compressor. Lack of condensation is down to the condensation trap which works on either model. My big Makita gets plenty of moisture in the tank, i'd say is more prone to it than a tankless one.

On 28/01/2023 at 10:00, ikcdab said:

My compressor went bang yesterday.  The cam on the end of the motor has sheared off. It is very old. I have tried a repair but it failed, I will try again today.  It is obviously a high stress area so needs to be a strong joint.

So now I am looking for a possible replacement.  Looking on Amazon I see two types:

https://amzn.eu/d/4o224iH this is very similar to the one i am replacing at £63. Otherwise I see there are ones with tanks such as Fengda Airbrush https://amzn.eu/d/aMEjEdu 

I am using this to power an iwata neo for painting my OO models.

Any recommendations?

Thanks 

Ian

I bought the one in your second link with the tank , couldn't fault it but only used it a few times before upgrading to this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185510216768 which is essentially the same but with a fan and I preferred the colours 😁 

Edited by sulzer71