A Family TT Adventure

andrewshimmin

4 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Why? Surely, this also indicates the items that Hornby are not producing in the next 2–3 years so giving someone else an opportunity to produce something that's not on the list?

Apparently not. Both Heljan and GaugeMaster have said “no thanks” to TT120

Obviously I can’t speak to why

• RMweb Gold

Well, Heljan said it was due to the three models they'd proposed being in Hornby’s list. Though the 08 and J94 were only an aspiration, whereas the Hornby 08 is "coming soon" and their J94 is intended to be out early next year.

Gaugemaster were (AFAICT) upset that Hornby had gone online-only, however their planned range was mostly existing European items repurposed, with a vague aspiration of a class 66.

The point I was making, specifically as far as the long list of forthcoming items is concerned, is that other potential manufacturers now know what Hornby are not intending to produce any time soon …

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I find it intriguing  that Heljan have decided there is a big enough O Gauge market to re-tool their Deltic a mere six months or so from inferring they were gazumped by Hornby in TT120- perhaps this is an indicator of where they really identify their own little fiefdom?

On the other hand  new to TT120 European players are announcing forthcoming stock and indeed Continental customer interest in Hornby appears quite lively. Something that remains to be seen in the next year or so is how the lower price marks of Hornby as a 'UK' product will impact  developments across the board.

The upshot here is that any personal investment into TT120 modelling seems quite securely based into the next few years at least and that Heljan and Gaugemaster are really quite peripheral to the larger picture. All of this will only be grist to the mill of dedicated 'UK TT' scale modellers who will have broadening  sources for kit bashing.

(wishing I'd kept those Tri-ang DMUs!)

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

Am I the only one who finds the spamming of this forum by TT120 fanboys annoying and rude in the extreme?

Hardly spamming, we are 2 pages in and most of the posts are from the OP. There are plenty of fights going on elsewhere if you want them. Please don't try to stir things up on this thread as well.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

Am I the only one who finds the spamming of this forum by TT120 fanboys annoying and rude in the extreme?

I'm sure Andrew can speak for himself but I believe he is as much of a TT:120 fan as anybody, as you can see from his enthusiasm over his recent purchases (TT:120 Scotsman and ICE3).

The first sentence of the first post of this thread says:

"I wasn’t sure whether to post this in 3mm scale or 2.5mm scale, since it’s a mixture of both (if this horrifies you, look away now, this thread is not for you)."

So maybe you are the one that is being rude and this thread is not for you.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, PaulaDoesTrains said:

At the beginning there was a lot of chatter about TT120 before there were any models which went on and on, I've hidden those threads so they don't continue to bother me.

But I don't mind the TT120 threads where someone is actually building a layout or even reviewing an actual product, those are just your normal RMWeb topics which we see in many scales and gauges.  They only turn wrong when other people begin to draw the item away from the specific product or layout and into why Hornby chose TT120, how TT3 would have been better or how it will end it tears with no support etc. TT120 is currently not for me, but I can see that the product looks ok, the new HM7000 system is clever and will make DCC easier for those who choose it and I'd actually like to see Hornby do well with it.

RTR modelling these days does attract what you might refer to as fanboys - it's the nature of social media now, Accurascale has a similar following.  Perhaps another way to look at it, is that if something has fanboys, perhaps it is doing something right because it attracts such positive attention.

• Like 1

This reason I started this thread is that I am someone who likes railway modelling but hasn't actually done almost any since I was a teenager in the last century. The release of Hornby TT120 helped spur me into action, and made it easier and more affordable for me to build a layout for (mostly) my Grandpa's TT3 collection (plus some Hornby TT120 if I fancy it). So far it's been great fun and I've especially enjoyed being able to do it with my children. Sorry no updates recently, we've been too busy with other things to make any progress.

I'm not uncritical of Hornby, but I am very grateful and excited that they've brought out TT120. I'm enthused by the Hornby plan - I know some people are frustrated that their preferred models aren't on it (yet) but as I've explained above it works for me. The quality issues are very annoying but Hornby's customer service has been good in responding in my experience.

I would prefer please if people could stick to discussing my modelling and related topics on this thread, and find / start another one if we want to have a debate about whether Hornby are heroes or villains. I'll happily contribute elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not much layout progress recently. I want to paint the baseboards but it's been too wet! When it was dry, I was busy or away... Finally got a first coat of primer on today. It will need at least another coat (and I still need to do the underside).

PXL_20230410_151913756_small.jpg.76deb4fd5cb8273bf281ee6013396b5f.jpg

Meanwhile my pre-ordered track packs have arrived, so I've been experimenting with the track plan I'd sketched out before. It seems to offer decent operating possibilities in a small space, which is encouraging.

PXL_20230410_130837209_small.jpg.d764395dcc587c7c11d6510f9a9e876d.jpg

The Hornby controller doesn't really like the Triang locos and keeps tripping out. My old eighties Graham Farish controller works fine, however. I'll use this for now, and probably switch to a Gaugemaster one later. I'm intrigued by the possibility of the Blue Railways wireless DC ones, so might also investigate that option.

• Like 2

Well, I very naughtily bought myself an A4:

PXL_20230413_180812261_small.jpg.da2dca647390665df2292c3c353307c5.jpg

I couldn't resist the double points offer. The children liked the blue A4 in the Hornby TT120 catalogue. I was torn between Mallard in LNER garter blue and Falcon in early BR express passenger livery. Normally I prefer pre-nationalisation and the garter blue livery is iconic, but I do really like the express passenger blue livery on an A4 (as worn by HNG). Ultimately, I just like the art deco effect of the garter blue and with the valences, and I'm hoping to get some LNER teak carriages in future so it makes more sense to go for Mallard. The children were also excited at it being the record breaker.

PXL_20230413_180848338_small.jpg.08eb49c0de4550a6ad30fe034628290f.jpg

As with Blink Bonny it's an exquisite model and runs really well.

PXL_20230413_185304727_small.jpg.b9ef3e9f5a78eb93105c45ea1aca732e.jpg

I really need to finish the baseboards so I don't have to keep laying track on the dining table and then taking it down again...

• Like 3

On 02/02/2023 at 14:24, andrewshimmin said:

I wasn’t sure whether to post this in 3mm scale or 2.5mm scale, since it’s a mixture of both (if this horrifies you, look away now, this thread is not for you). But since it started with 3mm scale and that will predominate I’ve put it here.

Hi Andrew, I must admit I did see a couple of TT3 kit-built GCR Class 9J (LNER Class J11) locos for sale a couple of months ago and was tempted to buy one, but in the end I decided to stick with TT120. I have not done any modelling for decades now, and wasn't sure how easy it would be to change the Tri-ang couplings to the type used by Hornby TT120 products. The slow roll-out of Hornby TT120 means it will be years before I see any ex-GCR locos or rolling stock. I'm not sure if I made the right decision! One went for just under £44-00 including postage. I can't find the listing for the other one.

I was also tempted to buy a Tri-ang DMU a couple of months ago and now wish I had. A three car DMU went for just short of £159-00, including postage. The advantage of a DMU is that it is unusual for it to be coupled to any other rolling stock, so changing the couplings would not be an  issue.  I'm still tempted to pick-up a TT3 DMU, though the prices are getting silly.

I know you are planning separate running session for TT3 and TT120 though you will have to adopt TT3 loading scales. Do you know of any published loading gauge for TT3? When I do find time to actually build something (in TT120) I'm planning to a use TT3 loading gauge for bridge clearances etc., just I case I do end-up buying some TT3 locos out of frustration at the limited amount of TT120 items available.

I know you are using the new Hornby TT120 track. Have you experimented with connecting it to the Tri-ang TT3 track? I have seen a couple of Tri-ang turntables for sale, another item not available for TT120, unless you buy what is an expensive item from the continent.

I hope your fun project works out well.

On 22/04/2023 at 20:08, MartinRS said:

Hi Andrew, I must admit I did see a couple of TT3 kit-built GCR Class 9J (LNER Class J11) locos for sale a couple of months ago and was tempted to buy one, but in the end I decided to stick with TT120. I have not done any modelling for decades now, and wasn't sure how easy it would be to change the Tri-ang couplings to the type used by Hornby TT120 products. The slow roll-out of Hornby TT120 means it will be years before I see any ex-GCR locos or rolling stock. I'm not sure if I made the right decision! One went for just under £44-00 including postage. I can't find the listing for the other one.

I was also tempted to buy a Tri-ang DMU a couple of months ago and now wish I had. A three car DMU went for just short of £159-00, including postage. The advantage of a DMU is that it is unusual for it to be coupled to any other rolling stock, so changing the couplings would not be an  issue.  I'm still tempted to pick-up a TT3 DMU, though the prices are getting silly.

I know you are planning separate running session for TT3 and TT120 though you will have to adopt TT3 loading scales. Do you know of any published loading gauge for TT3? When I do find time to actually build something (in TT120) I'm planning to a use TT3 loading gauge for bridge clearances etc., just I case I do end-up buying some TT3 locos out of frustration at the limited amount of TT120 items available.

I know you are using the new Hornby TT120 track. Have you experimented with connecting it to the Tri-ang TT3 track? I have seen a couple of Tri-ang turntables for sale, another item not available for TT120, unless you buy what is an expensive item from the continent.

I hope your fun project works out well.

Hi Martin,

I've not connected Triang track to Hornby - all my Triang track is absolutely shot.to be honest. It's more coarser, a physically chunkier rail, so I would imagine you'd need chunkier fishplates (OO gauge Peco ones should work I think). The heights look not too far off.

I haven't got a loading gauge for Triang TT - I always just make sure my stuff can fit through. But the 3mm Society probably has the information. I'd strongly recommend joining for anyone with an interest, however casual or cursory, in 3mm (including Triang TT) and/or 12mm gauge (some members are 12mm gauge but in other scales). The magazine is very good, the society shop is great, there's a eGroup which is very helpful and the modelling is inspiring.

• Thanks 1

After some delay caused by, well, life, I have managed to paint the baseboards (two coats of grey wood primer) and refit the clips.

PXL_20230428_192059895_small.jpg.b9571e27145ca9ade84dad719a45b79d.jpg

I've also added some self adhesive felt pads to the bottom to make it easier to slide out from under the sofa, and stop it scratching the floor or table.

Now to lay some track!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got some time to lay the track on the baseboards. The great thing about using the track screws (from Alan S Robinson http://www.alansrobinson.co.uk/model railway track pins and track screws.html) is I can fix the track down without being too worried about it being perfect - I can move it later.

PXL_20230518_143341689_small.jpg.2c2a5368f631f4a90ef9894046293764.jpg

I've laid this straight across the baseboards joints - later I'll remove fishplates here and ensure a slight gap. I've also not put in any of the section breaks I want for my eventual sections. With the track screws, all of this can come later. I'm using the power track from Hornby just now, but later I'll solder in wiring direct to the track.

The children and I had a lot of fun. We started with the Hornby TT:120 stock (Blink Bonny, Mallard, and the pullmans) and the Piko ICE3. Later we added in some Triang:

PXL_20230518_152554396_small.jpg.469fcf7c15ae9b4a5dc4633833bd8c70.jpg

The track layout seems to work well, given the space constraints. It would be nice to have a couple more sidings but that could only be achieved at the expense of shortening the existing ones.

The children enjoyed running the new stock round, but quickly decided there was as much if not more fun to be had in shunting the old Triang goods stock

PXL_20230518_155636042_small.jpg.d72f743a390b561d9c23a1a0cca9172d.jpg

Contrary to what Hornby keep saying in the TT Club Magazine, the Triang stock runs ok on the new track. The point check rails will need a slight shave, as the wagons in particular skip over them. But that's an easy modification.

Edited by andrewshimmin
  • Like 4

We've been enjoying some more running sessions with the layout. I want to do a lot of testing before going to final track laying/wiring/ballasting to make sure this is the track plan I really want.

PXL_20230521_191223993_small.jpg.37610c2bd7946b9423459c66a293ca76.jpg

Yesterday we had a "Triang only" session. It's nice to see that even before some much needed cleaning/lubrication the locos run okay.

PXL_20230521_191258051_small.jpg.278bdcfe52f46002cf5c34a53948fbb8.jpg

It was nice to get the regional liveried Mark 1s out for each loco. The Large Prairie runs really well. The Pony truck is slightly dodgy on crossover pointwork (as yet not modified):

PXL_20230521_191238405_small.jpg.621d96bec14b1f2b3d45119305b202c4.jpg

The Merchant Navy looks great on the SR train but can't really haul more than two carriages comfortably at the moment, it seems to lack adhesion. It just about got round with three.

PXL_20230521_191246035_small.jpg.26db325bf666ece8460dbd1c8ea05fcd.jpg

However the Britannia (Boadicea) is in much better condition and hauled four carriages with ease. She just about managed a seven coach train!

PXL_20230521_191312561_small.jpg.3d28ab488a90b4fb2538823ac950a650.jpg

There is some reluctance to go through closely spaced points, and some of the carriages (especially the suburbans) were derailing through the frog/check rails at times. I think some modification is needed for reliable running - either to the check rails/frogs or to the back to back (or both). This was also happening with the goods wagons.

But a very enjoyable running session.

PXL_20230521_194749614_small.jpg.42baf8b7a67f12328decf605c2703f3e.jpg

Despite the slight snags with the Triang stock and the Hornby track, it's still a lot easier (and cheaper!) way of getting a layout for running Triang than anything I've tried for over twenty years. Certainly it's more reliable than old Triang, Wrenn etc track and also track built by me, and even the 3SMR points I had before.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

We had a fun time populating the layout board with buildings etc from my Grandpa's box:

PXL_20230617_071652600_small.jpg.8dfb006c38c84e82eca78631db53c91d.jpg

They're 3mm scale not TT120 but it's not too ridiculous with the Hornby stock:

PXL_20230617_074859629_small.jpg.2f1fe38ff9b0c21210fe73a857d09f8f.jpg

Obviously this is just temporary, but the children (mine and neighbours) really enjoyed moving them around so it may stay like this for a while.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

No layout developments to report, but we have been enjoying running both Hornby TT120 and Triang TT3, generally on different days!

The two LNER pacifics run well and look brilliant:

PXL_20230702_202413323_small.jpg.1562cec957a11d079eed8926cf72b98a.jpg

The Piko ICE3 is a great runner and the epitome of modern high speed:

PXL_20230702_195620592_small.jpg.1c49db805d1150eec2f82ec5e3a9a867.jpg

Various Pullmans speeding through Yorkshire:

PXL_20230702_195528463_small.jpg.9799b6d83d0b3a82abcb427ec150dc60.jpg

PXL_20230702_194642303_small.jpg.1dcdec6dfad5e5a6ec762aaf45479fe2.jpg

• Like 4

I hadn't intended to buy any of the Hornby TT120 Mark 1s. I have plenty of the Triang TT3 ones! Also, long ago I volunteered in a C&W workshop and while working on the frames and undercarriage of Mark 1s was great, the bodywork I found a pain...

However I only had the Pullmans to run with my two pacifics, and while I believe LNER Gresley teaks are due eventually that won't be for ages. I'm hoping to get a train of Stanier LMS carriages, which were hauled north of York by LNER express locos, but they also seem to be many months away still.

I do like the carmine and cream livery (blood and custard), and I have a vague idea of eventually getting a Peppercorn A1 and/or Princess Royal in BR express passenger blue if they are made eventually (those two classes are on the future plans list, but who knows about livery 🤷‍♂️). I think that blue livery is gorgeous.

My idea would be to have a mixed rake, all in carmine and cream, of ex LMS and LNER and a couple of Mark 1s. In contemporary photos to trains always seem to be made up of fairly varied types of carriage.

All of which is to say, I have found a way to justify getting a couple of Mk1s!

PXL_20230713_202213340_smsll.jpg.0a2700d6e3d210bc0259e989cfff7564.jpg

They are very nice models, and run well (none of the issues others reported with early examples). It gives a short second train while I wait for the other carriage types which I want.

Edited by andrewshimmin
Typo
  • Like 4

I really like this- sometimes it is just fun to have trains whizzing around a board! I got rid of a box full of Triang TT just before this new track hit the market (like you, I'd not had any luck trying to run the trains on ancient, failing Triang and Wrenn track), I'm wishing I'd hung on a bit now, seeing the success you're having with the new stuff.  Looking forward to seeing this develope! 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1