RMweb

Suggested Suppliers of White Discs for Engine Head Signals

• RMweb Gold

I've been using those supplied by Bachmann, but close-up photography highlights their depth, so wondered if anyone has a preferred alternative?  They're widely produced (Fox Transfers, Phoenix Paints, Roxey Mouldings, etc), hence trying to narrow down the field!

Some examples found online have the handle permanently upright, but looking at various photos, they were often hidden behind the disc when in position.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As well as those you have mentioned they are also available from @247 Developments

As one might expect there is little difference between them  considering they all represent the same 15" disc. With respect to the handle position as they are etchings it is simple to remove or fold down.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

20210308_182837.jpg.c0b207a37c1ce195c0425030b5d8a4c6.jpgHole Punch discs from decent card or even Plasticard is a dirt cheap way of doing it. However they won't pass front 3/4 close up scrutiny, but do pass the 3' Test with ease, as well as passing Trains. Once weathered and battered a bit, they arn't so in yer face.

The Etched ones from Roxey are lovely.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 20/09/2023 at 20:42, brightspark said:

And now ModelU.

Having considered the options kindly suggested above, I eventually commissioned Modelu to produce the discs.  The design was based on several pictures taken of an example at the Bluebell Railway.

3265506-C.jpg.c68204953772ea477d83fe1b63f8dd5f.jpg

Edited by greatcoleswoodhalt
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jafcreasey said:

Having considered the options kindly suggested above, I eventually commissioned Modelu to produce the discs.  The design was based on several pictures taken of an example at the Bluebell Railway.

3265506-C.jpg.c68204953772ea477d83fe1b63f8dd5f.jpg

Thank you for doing that dude.

That's brilliant that Modelu took that on. I know they are really innovative and super helpful, but this is a little gem of an accessory and I shall bet getting some to try out.

You being in that lovely county of West Sussex (Ex Horsham here) and myself having spent some lovely volunteer days at Kingscote back in the later 90s pre link to E.G., firstly I am jealous of your chance to just pop over and be there and then glad you can. This is because us SR Modellers could do with some other bits and bobs.

That's a wonderful pic too.

All the best

Phil (now at 36E)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Thank you for doing that dude.

That's brilliant that Modelu took that on. I know they are really innovative and super helpful, but this is a little gem of an accessory and I shall bet getting some to try out.

You being in that lovely county of West Sussex (Ex Horsham here) and myself having spent some lovely volunteer days at Kingscote back in the later 90s pre link to E.G., firstly I am jealous of your chance to just pop over and be there and then glad you can. This is because us SR Modellers could do with some other bits and bobs.

That's a wonderful pic too.

All the best

Phil (now at 36E)

Thanks, Phil.  Modelu were very accommodating and am pleased with the outcome.  The handle and rivet detail are both impressive, highlighted when photographing at close quarters.  Hopefully it has been popular for them (which may have sparked the LNER variant, also now available).

Modelu attended their Model Railway Weekend in July, so will be interesting to see if they took the opportunity to scan anything...  I know the intention was to create a few new products, such as bespoke crews for their locos and station staff in period dress.

Re the location, yes, very lucky to have the railway on the doorstep (plus the Spa Valley a stone's throw away).  The Engine Head Signal pictured above is a clue to where I grew-up, though an H Class would be more appropriate!

Edited by jafcreasey