Ex GWR Diagram O30 steel open

RonnieS

Good Morning all.

I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a Fitted Ex GWR Diagram O30 steel open in BR days? I have photographs of 2 unfitted ones.  One  I purchased from Paul Bartlett's site but cannot find the photo of the fitted one I had at one time!

• Like 1

@Adam built a model of a O30 with retro fitted vacuum brakes, although the photos have been lost here.  I don't know if the GWRJ article mentioned contained photos or not. 

Typically, you tend find photos of the things you want after you've made some educated guesswork and finished the job only to find it's invariably wrong!

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Unlikely any O30s received vacuum brakes !!?!

Thinking N30 loco coal?

Edited by 41516
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hmrspaul said:

W124000 - 124195 listed as diag O.30 and O.32 are in the document for vacuum braking of wagons, December 1958. ...

I can believe the 10' wheelbase O.32s ( 124000 to 124145 ) being earmarked for upgrading but I'm sure the 9' wheelbase wagons - the O.30s - are in error : could be someone simply mis-copied a '9' in place of a '4' p'raps ? *

*Thought, of course, it's always possible that such an error was actually translated into hardware !

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 41516 said:

@Adam built a model of a O30 with retro fitted vacuum brakes, although the photos have been lost here.  I don't know if the GWRJ article mentioned contained photos or not. 

Typically, you tend find photos of the things you want after you've made some educated guesswork and finished the job only to find it's invariably wrong!

Thinking N30 loco coal?

I have a snap of the article somewhere but obviously, it wouldn't be within copyright to share it here. The wagon I built is here, and was copied directly from that picture, including the Dowty buffers.

GW_030_003.gif.b37698a40dec953a6c88702edac41aeb.gif

HTH

Adam

PS - I've reinstated the photos for those posts and a few around them (everyone else in the house is ill today).

Edited by Adam
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I can believe the 10' wheelbase O.32s ( 124000 to 124145 ) being earmarked for upgrading but I'm sure the 9' wheelbase wagons - the O.30s - are in error : could be someone simply mis-copied a '9' in place of a '4' p'raps ? *

*Thought, of course, it's always possible that such an error was actually translated into hardware !

If Paul, Cambrian Models and all else I have read are listing O30s as 10ft wb then I am wondering where you obtained your info on 9ft wb? I am not saying you are wrong, maybe I have misread the information ( I just wired up a polarity switch wrong!)  but?

1 hour ago, RonnieS said:

If Paul, Cambrian Models and all else I have read are listing O30s as 10ft wb then I am wondering where you obtained your info on 9ft wb? I am not saying you are wrong, maybe I have misread the information ( I just wired up a polarity switch wrong!)  but?

6 hours ago, Adam said:

I have a snap of the article somewhere but obviously, it wouldn't be within copyright to share it here. The wagon I built is here, and was copied directly from that picture, including the Dowty buffers.

HTH

Adam

That is a very nice, I wasn't aware a kit was available of this unusual wagon. 

I have posted a copy of the GWR diag for O30, it has a 10ft wheelbase. 

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwropenmerchandiseowv/e564b158d

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Adam said:

HTH

Adam

Great! Not sure where my pic came from (or where it is!) John built one too

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmweb.co.uk%2Ftopic%2F57232-recently-outshopped-from-the-cambridge-wagon-works%2F&psig=AOvVaw2NDr8mtRHtuu19FYD9-RlZ&ust=1675613099094000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwitotitn_z8AhV7XqQEHVC-DeEQr4kDegQIARAs

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Same chassis as the O.24 according to the GWR 'bible' ................. perhaps that was meant to be O.32 !!?!

According to my edition of the bible (third edition 1998) "Underframe same as O31/2." Logical as these are of the same period.

Great Western Journal No. 40 has a copy of the diagram confirming 10'-00 wheelbase with details and photos of some wagons but no mention of any being retrofitted with vacuum brakes. Only 50 built as an experiment.

Andrew

Edited by Sitham Yard
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yeah ......... It does say that by the drawing - I now see - but it also says "Underframe details as Dia.O24 ..." in the photo caption lower down the same page ! ( Too many cooks authors, I reckon.) 

I didn't spot that.

Andrew

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

but it also says "Underframe details as Dia.O24 ..."

This may be literal - O24 was the first diagram with RCH 17ft 6ins underframe and the note may be referring to the use of RCH details [such as for buffers] rather than GWR.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RonnieS said:

Research is a minefield! However a problem on rmweb is a problem halved (or solved} I have a photo that I can't post here for copyright reasons of an U/F O30 circa 1950  but I think it's ok to pm stuff?

If it is on a website you could link it perhaps?

• Thanks 1