Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Model Railway Journal 294

Not Jeremy

On 14/02/2023 at 13:21, Killybegs said:

Salansons was the go to shop when I was a lad. Remember ogling the K's kits but realising that at that time I was safer with Kitmaster.

... which is exactly what I experienced! Eventually after a long time saving my pocket money I had enough for a GW 14xx, £4-4s-0d I seem to remember, an enormous sum! (This was c.1963).  I excitedly cycled down to Salansons only to find K's prices had just gone up & I didn't have enough. I was totally gutted, my first experience of inflation. However I can report a happy ending. In MRC which I had just started buying I found the old prices being advertised by East Kent Models (or a similar name) & for the first time ever I resorted to mail order & a 14xx at the old price arrived a week or so later. (I could obviously afford the postage!)

Edited by martinT
typo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I remember going to Max Williams in Bristol, with enough money saved up for a K's 14XX kit, but coming away with a '1361' saddle tank kit instead. At this remove I'm not sure whether this was because they didn't have a 14XX kit in stock or because I didn't actually quite have enough for the 14XX.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I really enjoyed this issue. I totally agree with @Not Jeremy about Steve Hall's editorial piece - it embodies what we should be encouraging in our lovely hobby. His article about Drighlington and Adwalton was very interesting to read and I have taken a lot away from it.  

During the national lockdowns, Steve produced a couple of videos for online Scaleforum. I've posted them below - thoroughly worth watching. 

More of Steve in the chair, please!

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 10

I'e looked at a couple of the mag in my local shop and was  disapponted in the quality of the photos of Drighlington, quite few of them did not appear very sharp unlike the one of Brush Junction. Slightly annoying considering it was mainly a photo rich article and very unusual for MRJ.

On 17/02/2023 at 11:02, westerner said:

I'e looked at a couple of the mag in my local shop and was  disapponted in the quality of the photos of Drighlington, quite few of them did not appear very sharp unlike the one of Brush Junction. Slightly annoying considering it was mainly a photo rich article and very unusual for MRJ.

Picked up a copy of MRJ 294 in Tywyn newsagents this weekend. A good read and I second the comments about hoping for an article on Brush Junction. 

I too found the photo reproduction standards to be less than brilliant. The double page spread of the County running on Pendon being particularly poor. Almost like a bad smartphone app converting a photo to a painting rather than good quality photography. Shame for those who’s models they are. 

Andrew

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...