Warley NEC National Show 25th & 26th November 2023

Chris M

Though I would start this topic early this year. The Warley NEC show is on again this year and all at the club are looking forward to it. There are no details about layouts, trade exhibitors etc yet but they will be posted as things get firmed up.  I'm told that the layout invitations have all been emailed over the last few days. The trade exhibitor invitations have not yet been sent out; we have a new volunteer who is learning how it all works. The trade invitations should be emailed within the next two weeks. The club usually invites all the trade exhibitors who were at the previous year's show. Some will not want to attend which will make space for new trade exhibitors. Contact details can be found on the club website.

poster2023.jpg.86656f73562511bb42502c171f164ae4.jpg

More details will be posted as they become available. There will be a Warley exhibition stand at Model Rail Scotland as usual.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Warley club open day is this Sunday. The first list of layouts for the NEC show will be on display. Also the open day will provide the first opportunity to buy advance tickets for the NEC show in November.

Advance tickets will also be on sale at Model Rail Scotland at our club stand.

• 3 months later...

Things are progressing nicely with this year's Warley show. Everything is coming together and we are all looking forward to it. All the layouts are sorted and lots of societies are coming as usual. There will also be plenty of demo stands and of course a real locomotive. I don't get told which loco until later in the year but I would put money on it being a preserved standard gauge steam loco.

There does appear to have been a minor male hen up regarding the trade exhibitors. Invitations were sent out later than usual and it does appear that a few trade exhibitors who were at previous exhibitions were somehow missed off the invitation list for this year's exhibition. If you were expecting an invitation to bring a trade stand but haven't received one yet please let the club know. You can PM me if you like and I will pass it on.  As always, it does look like a small number of trade exhibitors can't come this year so there will be a few trade exhibitor spaces available. Please contact the club or PM me if you are interested in having a trade stand at our NEC show.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 1

There does appear to have been a few issues for trade exhibitors for this year's show. I have been told that most of the invoices for invited traders who have accepted their invitation will go out this coming weekend. I have also been told that the email address on the exhibition website does not work so any emails sent to that address this year will have been lost. Apologies for all this. I am assured that everything is now under control. Any trade exhibitor who wants to contact Warley club should use traders@warley-mrc.org.uk . This will work. The club website should be changed to show this in the very near future. These problems appear to have arisen out of an unfortunate set of circumstances rather than from any individual.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Work progresses on the NEC exhibition all through the year. The 2023 exhibition, which will be on the 25th & 26th November, is now pretty much tied down and ready to happen. No doubt there will be a few last minute layout changes as there always are. The trade exhibitor space is effectively full although it might be possible to fit one or two more stands in if any more requests are received.

• 4 weeks later...

As usual there will be over 80 layouts at the Warley NEC show this year and over 100 trade exhibitors. There will also be a lot of demonstrators, modelling associations and preservation societies. The real loco will be 5164, a large prairie kindly loaned to the club for the weekend by the Severn Valley railway.  This will be nice to see as I have a Sonic large prairie on pre-order.

There will plenty of N gauge / 2mm layouts at the NEC show as follows:-
Crossharbour D4/5 - A wartime harbour layout
Copenhagen Fields - Brilliant modelling!
Freshwater - A charming an beautifully modelled southern area branch line.
Hawes Junction - A Warley club layout which is a close to scale replica of Hawes Junction (later renamed Garsdale) on the Settle & Carlisle
Barnwood - West coast main line set in the 1990s
Exe Halt - Featured in the September 2020 Railway Modeller. A well presented GWR branch line.
Bregenbach im Schwarzwald - A wayside halt in the Black Forest.
The Viaduct - A lockdown project representing current practice on the WCML. It features a rather brilliant viaduct.
Westwick - A large modern image layout. Was at TINGS in 2019.
Monument Lane - I know nothing about this layout.
Kinlochlaggan - Scottish based layout. Can be run in various eras. Great scenics. This layout has been featured in Model Rail.
Moors View - A lovely view of the moors. Railway Modeller January 2022. Won best layout in show at Taunton and Exeter last year.
Cucknoe - Mostly steam with an LM/LNE flavour.
Solent Summit - A modular US layout
Dawlish Warren - No need to comment!
Whartson Hall - Built by the West Midlands N gauge group. Represents a busy through station in the West Midlands carrying cross country traffic.
Obertonburg - I have no information
Tuerland - And another I know nothing about

I will post listings for other scales over the next week or so. Maybe a few photos as well.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 3

I am very pleased to report that my Chinese HO layout, BEIJIAO, has been invited for a return visit to Warley show in 2023 - a rare honour and one that is greatly appreciated.

We originally exhibited at the NEC in 2019 and things have moved on a lot since then - hence our return visit. I thought a 'then and now' comparison might be of interest..

This was us in 2019 ..................

DSC_0186(2).JPG.30b171be9a399675ce9d9f8ea5abe735.JPG

And here is basically the same scene today. I spoke to a lot of visitors back in 2019 and asked what they liked and (most importantly) what they didn't like about the layout. They didn't like my idea of the dark and dismal backscene - so we changed it! They thought that the front of the layout was rather barren - so we changed it!

DSC_0002(1).JPG.33e379e2a84041093f51f44b9d417004.JPG

There are many other new or upgraded viewer-friendly features since 2019 and we are looking forward to showing you all of them in 2023.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Advance tickets for the Warley NEC show are on sale this weekend at the Stafford model railway exhibition. The Stafford exhibition is one of the biggest and best on the country ( but obviously nowhere near as big as our NEC show). It’s well worth going to the Stafford show. If you do go say hi to the folks on the Warley stand and grab your chance to buy an advance ticket for the Warley NEC show without any booking fee. Both cards and cash should be accepted.
61fce6e9-ae9e-439a-a90a-63463344358a.jpeg.e3507532afd9ab3d01f8b2d695907a8a.jpeg

0848c4fc-85a5-45d7-93eb-abb2732aa607.jpeg.5ae772563014af92af0a5271ed2e2394.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a list of shows where Warley Advance tickets will be on sale:-

Warley Macmillan Coffee morning in the clubroom 30 Sept

Miniatura Stoneleigh 30 Sep/1 Oct (see Alf stand H3)

Cradley Heath 7 Oct (see Alf or Andy on the Warley promotion stand)

Fareham 7 Oct (see Rodney with his Quarry railway)

Farnham 14/15 Oct (see Chris with his Dawlish Warren railway)

Castle Bromwich 28 Oct (see Ed with his Todmorden railway)

Dublin 28/29 /30 Oct Blackrock College, Dublin (see Craig with the T Trak railway) £ & € accepted

Solihull 11 Nov (see Pete/Tom with the club’s Burford railway)

Slightly off topic but I mentioned it above - Warley Club are hosting a Macmillan "Coffee & Trains" morning on Saturday 30th September. Please note our coffee morning is on Saturday not Friday. There will be layouts running and coffee & cake for sale  - what more could you possibly want? Could be a good chance to buy advance tickets for the show.

macmillan.jpg.e43e056dd7867fb31fbc0c3fa43fd090.jpg

Edited by Chris M

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a complete list of all the layouts due to be at our Warley NEC show on 25th & 26th November. The count is 83 at the moment. This excludes layouts that a brought by trade exhibitors which will form part of their stand. I expect stands such as Hornby Magazine will have a few layouts of their own on show.

image.png.988f14f57686af60a47a3e6a30150e59.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2023 at 11:12, TEAMYAKIMA said:

I am very pleased to report that my Chinese HO layout, BEIJIAO, has been invited for a return visit to Warley show in 2023 - a rare honour and one that is greatly appreciated.

We originally exhibited at the NEC in 2019 and things have moved on a lot since then - hence our return visit. I thought a 'then and now' comparison might be of interest..

This was us in 2019 ..................

DSC_0186(2).JPG.30b171be9a399675ce9d9f8ea5abe735.JPG

And here is basically the same scene today. I spoke to a lot of visitors back in 2019 and asked what they liked and (most importantly) what they didn't like about the layout. They didn't like my idea of the dark and dismal backscene - so we changed it! They thought that the front of the layout was rather barren - so we changed it!

DSC_0002(1).JPG.33e379e2a84041093f51f44b9d417004.JPG

There are many other new or upgraded viewer-friendly features since 2019 and we are looking forward to showing you all of them in 2023.

Looking forward to seeing this layout again. I saw you at Model Rail Scotland and it was really good to see something so different, and modelled to such a high standard. 

The club raised £305 at the coffee morning and this has been donated to Macmillan.

Just a couple of photos of layouts that will be at the show

Bouillere - this layout is coming all the way from Belgium.

20190120_193308.jpg.faa3542957b101d83ce52e14f95570b0.jpg

Rosebury Goods

Pix1021-11-01_211543_MB_R4_S3.jpg.6d74ea23d4fcd698d6130e35af7dd1c9.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Chris M said:

That is a bit surprising. I thought we  agreed last week not to put the floor plan out until a couple of weeks before the show. Never mind.

Yes I was surprised to see it this early, ultimately it’s not much use without the list of stand numbers though so we will wait patiently for those.