Warley NEC National Show 25th & 26th November 2023

Chris M

• RMweb Gold
On 18/11/2023 at 14:24, Phatbob said:

I've been using the interlocking foam mats for years now.  Thoroughly recommended by my knees and ankles! ;-)

Yours are getting a bit worn out now but they have had a lot of use and abuse behind our layouts over the years. They will certainly be handy crawling under Star Lane but luckily I wont be doing much of that at Warley as I will have a comfy seat on the demo stands.

Unfortunately we only have these mats when Bob is helping as our car is often loaded to the max with layout and operators so no room for the mats.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 18/11/2023 at 14:34, MarkSG said:

I'm thinking of taking the train all (or almost all) the way to Warley this year. Even with a change at New Street, Worcestershire Parkway to BIH is significantly quicker than my door to door driving route from home, and that's before taking into account roadworks. Although driving to Parkway first, rather than driving all the way to the NEC, does result in, at least theoretically, a longer overall door to door time from home to the NEC, I suspect that a fair bit of that will be offset by a shorter distance from the station to Hall 5 than from the car park to Hall 5, and if the traffic is as bad this year as it was last year then the headline time of using Parkway for park+ride will be quicker than the real world drive time.

That does, though, assume that the trains run on time. Given that I'll have to be going on the Sunday (as I have another event I need to be at on the Saturday), that may not necessarily be guaranteed. So I probably won't make the decision itself until that day, and I'll check the departure boards first before deciding whether to drive or ride.

4 of us meeting in Churchdown and then heading up to Worcestershire Parkway to get the train on Saturday. As you say has to be better than driving … as long as the 10.14 isn’t just a 2 car unit! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

I can’t even get past the initial make a booking tab, it flashes up then disappears and take me back to the card details screen. It’s either broken or so crap it given up on itself in disgust for being so difficult. 

I managed to get my car booked in but only as 'Restock Vehicle' for the Saturday morning between the times of 07:30 & 08:00, which considering I'm coming from deepest darkest Wiltshire means I need to be out the house for 06:00 at the latest and then I can't guarantee to be there between those times.

Anyone know what is happening for breakdown on the Sunday?? Will it be a free for all to get a parking space near Hall 5?? I don't need to get into the Hall for breakdown, but I can't cart the stand stuff all the way across to the Car Park!!

Regards

Neal. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

17 minutes ago, Calnefoxile said:

I managed to get my car booked in but only as 'Restock Vehicle' for the Saturday morning between the times of 07:30 & 08:00, which considering I'm coming from deepest darkest Wiltshire means I need to be out the house for 06:00 at the latest and then I can't guarantee to be there between those times.

Anyone know what is happening for breakdown on the Sunday?? Will it be a free for all to get a parking space near Hall 5?? I don't need to get into the Hall for breakdown, but I can't cart the stand stuff all the way across to the Car Park!!

Regards

Neal. 

All I can say about breakdown is see pages 5 & 6 of the exhibitor manual. I'll be in the same boat as everyone else only worse. I have to load two layouts at opposite ends of the hall into a van and pick up any bits that the lorry hasn't got room for from the organiser's office. The lorry has a 12 metre trailer which will be full. It will go over to the clubrooms after the show and be unloaded on Sunday night. After dropping off one layout at a house in Birmingham I will take the van over to the clubroom to help unload the lorry and anything in the van (except the second layout which will be sorted Monday morning). I may be a little tired by the time I get home on Sunday night. I expect I will think I'm getting too old for this game.

• Friendly/supportive 5

On 18/11/2023 at 21:44, Ian Morgan said:

Last time I went to the Warley show, they has an electric car charger in the multi-storey car park. This year, they have nearly 200 chargers in the car parks. Better still, the charger at the hotel I believe we are booked in to takes my company  Allstar card for payment.

The X1 Bus route (Coventry-NEC-Birmingham) has also gone fully electric.

14 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

Has anyone had the misfortune of using the NEC Voyage Control website for booking vehicle passes for build up? It must have been designed by someone who absolutely hates IT and anyone that wants to use it. I'm stuck in an infinite loop trying to book a slot and now think it would be easier to catch the train and walk in. I downloaded the user guide and that has 18 steps of how to make a booking. Its utterly ridiculous. I really cant be bothered and its putting me off ever wanting to go there again.

I did offer to help a friend unload and set up, due to my last minute availability and ability to get there on public transport.

"Too late, I'm afraid, names have already been submitted". Not sure how fixed in stone this is but it just seems like another hurdle of unnecessary administration that saps the fun out of volunteering to do anything for that venue.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, 298 said:

I did offer to help a friend unload and set up, due to my last minute availability and ability to get there on public transport.

"Too late, I'm afraid, names have already been submitted". Not sure how fixed in stone this is but it just seems like another hurdle of unnecessary administration that saps the fun out of volunteering to do anything for that venue.

We’ve had to swap people around before due to late sickness, they just assume the others name badge and hotel room. It’s only really the layout owner / contact that is tied down because of emails. The stewards weren’t worried as long as you were within your booked crew. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

As promised earlier, I've spent a bit of time putting together an unofficial show guide that people can download and print off, given that there won't be an official one this year.

It's very rough and ready, I haven't made much effort to make it more presentable, and it's likely to contain errors so please don't rely on every aspect of it! 

Here's a first draft, I will do an updated one by the end of the week if I get any corrections or additional information:

unofficial-warley-2023.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarkSG said:

As promised earlier, I've spent a bit of time putting together an unofficial show guide that people can download and print off, given that there won't be an official one this year.

It's very rough and ready, I haven't made much effort to make it more presentable, and it's likely to contain errors so please don't rely on every aspect of it! 

Here's a first draft, I will do an updated one by the end of the week if I get any corrections or additional information:

unofficial-warley-2023.pdf 56.95 kB · 16 downloads

You are doing what I sort of do every year once the guide arrives.

I make up lists of the traders, the layouts and anything else, in aplha and numerical order and also append the floor layout with many occupants. making pdf files to load onto the tablet.

It helps find my way around to where I want to go.

This year it has been harder with some of the info on the site incomplete and having to get the remaining crumbs from wherever I can

A layout and list at the show is a bit late for me.

• RMweb Premium

On Saturday I'll be going all the way by bus, but Sunday due to lack of Sunday services, I'll try Hampton in Arden car park for the first time and a short train ride to the NEC.

Anyone else park at Hampton?

1 hour ago, Phatbob said:

Thanks for that, really helpful.
One mnor point, E46, Star Lane is steam era, but most of the motive power is 3rd rail electric, just in case that's anybody's particular area of interest. 🙂

That's precisely the kind of useful information which will be included in the final release!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, DLT said:

Just spoken to the Accommodation Officer, and told all will be in the Welcome Pack.

Many thanks, Dave.

Good, just an email gone astray? Well as usual they’ve sorted it fast that’s why I don’t worry as they’ve always been very helpful with any questions. When Chris M was there in his official capacity he was one of those who sorted questions fast 😀 One of the reasons despite the size it’s always been fun and I’ve had similar help from NEC staff for access. Even the first year when they moved breakfast to the hall they sorted the minor hiccup fast. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Thanks for that, really helpful.
One mnor point, E46, Star Lane is steam era, but most of the motive power is 3rd rail electric, just in case that's anybody's particular area of interest. 🙂

Being local to me i’m interested to see this layout! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

Is the RMweb bunga bunga party on this year again or wot?

ive got an after party:

dancing girls, cocktail bar, champagne fountain, gangster rapper in a bling jacket, chocolate fondue and a oo gauge unboxing live stream….

Edited by adb968008
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5