Where to buy Liquid Lead / Lead Shot

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has been discussed recently, does anyone know where fine Liquid Lead dust shot can be purchased please?

I recently bought some from DCC Concepts but was dismayed to find the balls are approx 2mm diameter, the old Liquid Lead sourced via the defunct Eileen’s was 0.5mm-1mm, a more useful size for getting in those nooks & crannies on underframes! 

If anyone has any pointers to fine dust shot that would be very much appreciated please!

Many thanks,

James

Edited by James Makin

Another possibility that the Model Railway world has yet to look into is from the printing world Some enthusiasts are still working the old letterpress process with separate letters of type.  They space their lines apart with type metal (more or less pewter) strips  always .750 of an inch wide,  usually not longer than about 12 inches, and the thicknesses are called one point, two  point, three point, and six point.  A point is about 13 thousandths of an inch.  So,  long thin strips which fit very nicely in a OO coach floor

in a pleasing variety of weights.  A vast range of other cube shapes are also available. Ask your local letterpress printer, they do exist. Try British Printing Society , amiable nutters all.

• Informative/Useful 1

Just a word of warning, have heard of a case, where the boiler was filled with shot, do not know if steel or lead, fixed with PVA glue, over time there was a reaction, the filler expanded, splitting the boiler.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, fulton said:

Just a word of warning, have heard of a case, where the boiler was filled with shot, do not know if steel or lead, fixed with PVA glue, over time there was a reaction, the filler expanded, splitting the boiler.

That's lead and PVA, they react and the lead expands. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I bought lead shot from our local gun shop. Mr Tilney from the Antiques Roadshow!

I took a coffee jar in and he filled it up, weighed it and charged accordingly.

Use super glue not PVA for fixing.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Depleted Uranuim at a density of 19.1 grams per cubic centimeter is much heavier than lead (11.3 g/cc)  Warning -has side effects lol, and I don't know where to buy it.

Car park of the Twin Pines Mall?

Side effects - doesn't need a separate power supply?

• Funny 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

What is now sold as lead shot is in fact lead-free, so the reaction with PVA is not to be feared. Lead is one of the more reactive metals; the metals such as tungsten and bismuth in the substitute alloy very much less so.

• Informative/Useful 1