airfix 2-6-0 motorising kit

55 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

Thanks, useful, I've just been offered the parts I need from someone on here. Could I muster the enthusiasm to do another one? Maybe...

Just finishing one; two more to do - plus a couple of 3MT 2-6-2Ts on the same chassis etches.

CJI.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've decided to give up on this kit. Other bits have become damaged over the years, I'll take out the High Level motor and gearbox and the Romford wheels and chuck the rest in the scrap bin. It's taken up far too much of my time trying to get it to go right. Although I enjoy these old kits I'd rather concentrate now on getting my layout not so much finished, but running roundy-roundy. 

I've found a good secondhand Bachy model on Hattons at a sensible price. Anyone want an unmake Dapol kot or an Airfix tender? I may keep the tender as I prefer the loco with a small tender, though maybe not right for a Southern loco.

• Friendly/supportive 3

Well, the 2nd hand loco from Hattons turned up today, looks good and runs well. even the b-t-b are right! someone may have doctored it a bit in the past. apart from the tender to loco coupling pin being a bit broken, it looks the part. I don't like the big BR1 tender with it though, I may well use th Dapol tender instead.

So if anyone wants bits of a Kemilway chassis and valve gear, let me know. Thanks everyone for your help. I've just had a delivery of wheels from Markits, so maybe my Wrenn R1 with new chassis will get done, I started that project in 1974 by super-detailing the body and fitting Romford wheels; then there's my Metropolitan F class 0-6-2T to finish, and an Airfix 4F with a new chassis...

• Like 1