airfix 2-6-0 motorising kit

I've possibly asked this question before, but I have an Airfix 2-6-0 which I built many years ago with a Kemilway chassis kit. It nver got finished due to life getting in the way, but now i'm finishing a lot of these 1970s projects! I'm missing a couple of bits of valve gear, can anyone remember who took over the Kemilway range? Was it Comet  or someone else? I may have to scratch-build the bits i need from some scrap shim. The chassis has a Kean Portescap motor/gearbox driving on the back axle, the motor hides nicely in the firebox. I may need a new body for the loco as well as the present one is also missing a few bits. Is it still available from Dapol?

• RMweb Gold

I may have an unused or unfinished Kemilway kit hidden away. I’ll look tomorrow 

in the early 80’s I was building all the standards and I think I had the second chassis for another loco. Well done on fitting the Portescap. I seem to recall it was designed with an X04 type motor in the tender and some horrible UJ design to the back axle

• Agree 1

Comet do a chassis kit for 76xxx. I built one a long time ago to use under the Airfix kit. Also do a tender chassis to suit. Used a Buhler motor with Ultrascale g/box, which they were marketing at the time as a complete unit. Drives middle axle with motor in firebox. I still have it.

Edited by Carnforth

4 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Comet should do the valve gear fret separately, they certainly do (or did) for other chassis in the range.   

Yes they do, LM46 but you'll still need the pony, cylinders etc. Most of their chassis kit (LCP) consist of an amalgam of otherwise seperate kits from their range.

My Airfix/Perseverence 76xxx is powered by a DS10, well hidden in the firebox. Lovely chassis to assemble - I built it as a Flexichas unit, and the completed loco had a good run on Little Bytham back in 2019, during a visit there.

I've recently found another Perseverence 76xxx chassis kit - yes, it's an old design, but to me it holds up well against more modern offerings. Another one in the roundtuit pile!

Good luck sorting your model out, roythebus1.

Mark

I've got the valve gear assembled, what is missing on both sides is the link that goes from the bottom of the crosshead to the drop link. also on the left side there's a bit missing that covers the top of the drop link, so I don't really need the whole valve gear kit.

The Kemilway chassis did indeed have a motor in the chassis with a UJ driving on the back axle. My kit sat half made for a few years in the 1970s until the Portescap motors became available then it became obvious the small motor would hide in the firebox! But now i'm also missing the bottom of the firebox!! Hence the need for another body kit...and the pony truck assembly to go with the missing valve gear bits. See photo below.

C3A1331F-643E-4B1F-82F6-3529B348FE19.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You should be able to fashion a couple of union links from brass or nickel silver, I'd have thought.

Brassmasters (and I think Comet) do a bogie kit.

I've not seen the Kemilway Walschaerts valve gear bettered in 4mm scale.

I actually built my 76XXX with an X04-pattern 5-pole motor in the tender, driving via the universal joint. Not my favourite solution but that was almost 40 years ago now! It's slightly noisy, due to the reverberations of the motor in the tender, but it runs smoothly.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Comet for the front pony truck. I like this because I managed to add some extra springs (Gibson) inside the unit resting on the 2mm axle. Then had a spring pushing down onto the pony truck from the chassis with extra springs for side control.  These are just nickel silver wire.

It is a sure footed beast and runs beautifully through pointwork.

• 6 months later...

Revisiting this project, I wasn't happy with the Kean/Portescap motor in the firebox as it took up a lot of the cab as well. I bought a new body kit from a trader at the Faversham show the other week so decided to fit a High Level Gears set-up which I can actually hide indie the firebox without cutting the cab away.

However I'm still missing some of the valve gear. If anyone has a scrap fret or where I could get one it would be helpful. It seems I'm missing more than I thought! I managed to ose the eccentric crank and rod whilste working on the chassis yesterday, the carpet hasn't revealed it yet, not has the workbench.

The new body kit provided the from pony truck I used a couple of 2mm bushes on the axle and they run in 1/8" driving wheels fitted into the pony truck box. Not ideal but it ought to work.

If Comet are still trading maybe I'll try them again for a spare fret. Ther "Branchlines" range seems to have disappeared.

Edited by roythebus1
  • Like 1

Hi Roythebus.

I think that Comet are still trading.

Branchlines are still trading, but have not had a website since the current owner took over.  Look for their advert in the magazines and give them a call. They do all the valve gear rivets etc.

If Kemilway/Peter K did do a chassis, I believe that they are in the throws of winding up the business. I think that the owner has retired and the website may have been taken down now.

I hope that this helps.

All the best

Ray

The 4MT 2-6-0 is an absolute sod to motorise as a layout locomotive. The frames and valve gear are so prominent and intricate that you have to paint the frames and components before assembly or you will never have the heart to take it all apart again to paint it.  For similar reasons the black Airfix / Kitmaster kit is a lot easier to male look good than the grey Dapol as much of the black plastic can remain unpainted.   

Edited by DCB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, DCB said:

The 4MT 2-6-0 is an absolute sod to motorise as a layout locomotive.

Mitsumi motor plus HL Roadrunner Plus, with the drive extender fixed at 45 degrees facing backwards, and the motor will be on the boiler centreline.

Just applying the transfers to mine, which has been far too long in gestation.

CJI.

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I ended up using a high level models gearbox in the firebox with the motor as cctrans suggested. I done a search for branchlines and that gos straight to our Australian friend who does the Black Beetle motor bogies! I'll try the link above...I did contact them a year or so ago when I re-discovered this project, I'm sure the lady there said she may have some damaged frets lying around.

Yes, painting the thing is pain, hence the need to strip it down to get the chassis painted!! Nest problem was the crank covers that I superglued to the Romford driving wheels...try getting 40 year old superglue off! I broke one of the Romford axles wiggling the wheel to get it off. I'll remember to paint the new Dapol body before I go too far with the project. Of course we never thought of these things back in the day. I've still got at least 4 K's Black Fives to finish off, 3 of them have Kean Portescap motors and are all missing parts. :( And 2 full-sized BEA half deck coaches to finish. Retirement is fun.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Looks like I'll have to get the Comet valve gear kit. With my fading eysight and arthritis trying to make small bits is difficult these days, unless anyone comes up with bits of a Kemilway fret.. I've spent a few hours making up the Dapol tender, cutting out the dummy coal and fitting the inside of the bunker, replacing plastic handrails with metal and proper handrail knobs.

The High Level gearbox and motor now fit snugly in the firebox. I note there's a shortage of Markits 21mm driving wheels, I need some for other round tuit projects!