Mark 1 Catering Vehicle Photos

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, keefer said:

M1627 at Wolverhampton is a cracker for those little details, like the window ventilator & frames and the 'door and a third'.

And the smoke stains from the kitchen window vents.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The two RMB posted above were replacements for two RB vehicles (S1758/9) which were converted in 1968 for use with the new Bournemouth stock (REP/TC).

1759 was used in the unique 8-VAB unit from 1968-75 but was then withdrawn as it had been more permanently modified for EMU use meaning it wasn't worth converting back to l/h standard (removed buffers, fixed-head buckeye, EP brakes and modified power supply).

1758 was more 'standard' and was used between units or in special trains as required.

After the RMBs were converted, 1758 went back to l/h stock on the LMR in 1974.

https://www.bloodandcustard.com/BR-3TC-4TC-4REP-Bournemouth-1966.html#PushPull

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Arun Sharma said:

Anyone got any pics of the griddle cars in the class 309 units? - The four car unit in the six car set that went to Clacton had a griddle car in it.

Not got a picture but one was apparently converted from a class 123 buffet car 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Arun Sharma said:

Anyone got any pics of the griddle cars in the class 309 units? - The four car unit in the six car set that went to Clacton had a griddle car in it.

Is this the one? 

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/23113

According to railcar website, it was the only one converted from Class 123 to Class 309, to replace an accident damaged one.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-123/numbering

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Is this the one? 

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/23113

According to railcar website, it was the only one converted from Class 123 to Class 309, to replace an accident damaged one.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-123/numbering

The fastest DMU car from the west!

Great find first time I've seen a picture of it. It is quite different to the rest unit 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

While we're still on a Blue & Grey theme, here's 1861 ( with NSE branding ) at Kings Lynn : 20/4/88 : -

293_03.jpg.fd16c6fd8ee8c464d93d6cee5e270372.jpg

293_06.jpg.46dd230cde61595811c0bfa2d4cbad83.jpg

Keeping with 1861 but after blue/grey

PA260120.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

Close crop of Griddle Car - note the GE-prefix.

Screenshot_20230217-114215_Chrome.jpg.e39a3a6eb7ca98b4b9a89ce03f3dc183.jpg

Image by Owen Smithers on Flickr

There is a great side-on pic of the other side somewhere but can't remember where! There are two blank panels rhs of the centre door, like on an RMB.

This is the best i can find at the 'mo. There seems to be a toilet window lhs of the door:

Screenshot_20230217-120211_Chrome.jpg.7bd48adc5b9bd05d5c3e64cb4cbc4a67.jpg

By Michael Taylor on Flickr

I'll keep looking for the other, better pic (it's a maroon unit).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Better view (of a model)

Screenshot_20230217-134203.png.45bcabbae2c71b6ba2557e7a10132ebd.png

From http://www.britanniapacific.co.uk/Overhead 309.htm

EDIT: I was trying to work out why the doors/window spaces don't quite add up compared to a l/h coach but realised there are no toilets at the end of the coach (like a TSO or SK), so giving room for the toilet 'inside'.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 15/02/2023 at 21:17, keefer said:

The two RMB posted above were replacements for two RB vehicles (S1758/9) which were converted in 1968 for use with the new Bournemouth stock (REP/TC).

They were also used in the 2 8MIG units on the Portsmouth line when the 4BIGs were being taken off for Asbestos removal in the early 80's.  Ultimately the route lost all it's BIGs and got the all 7 of the Refurb 4BEPs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, keefer said:

Thanks for that @frobisher, I must admit I hadn't looked further at the RMBs but now you mention them, I remember the 8MIG.

They're on my mind at the moment as I recently unearthed my old spotting books and these two are pencilled in with the whole formations.  Growing up in Godalming, those two units were something exceptional to see at the time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/02/2023 at 21:41, Wickham Green too said:

The one peculiar modification I remember from looking round 1872/3 at Carlisle was a little ramp in the base of each gangway - so the floor level must have been lower than standard or the floor level in the electrics higher !!?!

Thats because the floor levels ramp up towards the front gangway in the driving cars of CIG / VEP / REP / CEP / TC units!

This in turn is due to the gangway door assembly which obviously has to be much more robust when its forms the leading end of the train as opposed to a mere intermediate gangway within the train.

Naturally this is no problem when two units are coupled together as the ramp up on one unit is matched by a ramp down on the adjacent one - however quite obviously a ordinary Mk1 coach (or the gangways within each unit) will be flat and as such if the RMB was inserted between units (as opposed to being added within a single unit) then the RMB will need a ramp fitted to overcome the height difference between it and the REP / VEP/ CIG / CEP / TC unit

Edited by phil-b259
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2