Mark 1 Catering Vehicle Photos

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Apparently the number 975878 was allocated but not carried and it now resides on the Mid Hants. https://www.departmentals.com/departmental/975878

Paul

... where it sees regular use serving light lunches on midweek trains  and curry and chilli to passengers on the real ale train.  Currently it is in the carriage works for a bit of TLC but it should be coming back out to play in April.

Keith

Alton.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No idea about that I'm afraid.

For completeness here's the other side of the Griddle at Oban:

Griddle car SC1105

By Stuart Mackay on Flickr

The pic before this in the Photostream has a better view of the Sleeper but no number unfortunately.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

Those two coaches seemed to move about being at Crianlarich in 1984:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/48992-crianlarich/?do=findComment&comment=3306122

Caption states going to Fort William (maybe just going to Crianlarich): https://railphotoprints.uk/p789775444/h35832cfc#h35832cfc

Wonder if they were used for staff installing RETB equipment as that was around that time 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

... though  the Griddle was, supposedly, preserved on the Mad-Hints in 1982 !!?!

The earliest reference to 1105 which I have been able to find in Watercress Line sources is in December 1982, at which point it had apparently been purchased from Inverness but not delivered.  This would put the 1984 date of the Crianlarich photos in doubt (or the griddle car shown is not 1105).

Keith

Alton.

• RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2023 at 18:21, Moxy said:

Is this the one? 

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/23113

According to railcar website, it was the only one converted from Class 123 to Class 309, to replace an accident damaged one.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-123/numbering

You can see the different profiles

On 16/02/2023 at 18:26, russ p said:

The fastest DMU car from the west!

Great find first time I've seen a picture of it. It is quite different to the rest unit 

I have been in DMUs going faster than they should!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

... though  the Griddle was, supposedly, preserved on the Mad-Hints in 1982 !!?!

7 hours ago, russ p said:

Wonder if they were used for staff installing RETB equipment as that was around that time 

7 hours ago, keefer said:

Someone certainly thought the Sleeper was 'letting the side down' as it was repainted into b/g - would hint at it moving around and being more visible.

6 hours ago, 45655 said:

The earliest reference to 1105 which I have been able to find in Watercress Line sources is in December 1982, at which point it had apparently been purchased from Inverness but not delivered.  This would put the 1984 date of the Crianlarich photos in doubt (or the griddle car shown is not 1105).

Keith

Alton.

I've just re-read the Crianlarich thread i linked to earlier and if you read down towards the bottom there's a post by young37215:

"37043 had a headlight fitted by June 1984 which suggests that the date of the picture is wrong. She also had a white stripe by October 1983 although this was subsequently removed at a date I am unaware of. She was large logo by early 1985.

If you flick through John Chalcraft's website you can see a picture of 37005 departing Crianlarich dated August 1982 where the weather appears very similar to the 37043 picture. I suspect that this is the more likely date of the working."

The next comment also mentions the shabby finish on the Sleeper and suggests that this is the coaches being removed (to Inverness?) for storage/scrap.

If so, that would fit better with the Griddle's preservation timeline.

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1

Somewhere up-thread there's a discussion of the S.R. through-wired catering vehicles .... well, their history is nothing compared with the re-formations of the REP & TC sets in the late eighties : - 

337_18.jpg.464858ebdb03af2af8ffce897429b555.jpg

Clapham Junction : 17/9/88.    No.69025 originally RU No.1935 and converted in for use in REP 3014 - but shown as formed in 5TCB 2808 ( one time 4TC 404 ) !

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Actually now an RK as passenger accommodation removed to provide more preparation areas. Note it is numbered in line with the purpose-built RKs (in the NPCCS series)

Edited by keefer