Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Blogs...I don't look at them.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting thread about blogs. 

i guess I blog needs to be thought about and written almost like a non fiction book, which I what I’ve tried to do to make the topics clear and the content accessible. Maybe it’s just through education I prefer structure content. 

I guess a thread is just “easy” by adding a post and then letting it flow (usually off topic!). 

Not sure which way to go with this. Continue with the Blog or start a thread. 

There is also the issue of then transferring the context and whether it’s worth the effort!

I think if you want something that will go off in different directions then a thread is fine, but where is started will quickly disappear and you might lose the direction you wished to follow.

With a blog your main point of the entry always remains pinned, the comments appear below and can wind away but the point of the post always remains front and centre.

So a slow burn layout blog or a 'how to' series would be fine to me, people can still comment but you don't lose the bit you actually wanted people to read about and you decide the order of play not the other people throwing in their two penneth's worth.

• Like 2

Spurred on by this discussion, I've just had another look at the Blogs and I see there is lots there, but however do I find anything in a long stream of date-order subjects? I think if I could understand this better I might look more often. For instance many people refer to @Mikkel's apparently superb blog but how on earth would I go about finding it? 

Perhaps the blogs are for people who actually understand how to use ICT and the threads are better for numpties like me!

• RMweb Gold

Nobody on here is numpty, even you as you are a railway modeller. Blogs did come from the tech world and I was a professional blogger at Microsoft for 10 years, though I stopped in 2017. If you ask me why I blog it's to help others.  For that to work they need to be found that's partly on you to understand how search works and on the blogger and platform to make sure searches return useful results.  RMWeb is  a good platform and actually if you search just on line in Google or Bing (OK I do work for Microsoft 😁) you'll get hits in here  - I know this because I have been trying to figure out a tech problem with turntables and iTrain and RMWeb comes up in the results.  So if you can use the internet for search then you should get the results you need, and then everyone wins you get your info the blogger feels useful and RMWeb attract more members.  However it's be great if member could post short 3 4 min videos too on her if you are listening @AY Mod to show our layout working or problems we have fixed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Interesting - I did find it by googling it - sorry I actually use Bing but it's become one of those words hasn't it?

Looks like there is much interesting reading in there and it has helped me to understand why one would blog - all your content in one place, properly indexed, etc. It makes for a very professional looking body of work. Will try harder to keep up going forward!

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, deepfat said:

However it's be great if member could post short 3 4 min videos too on her if you are listening @AY Mod to show our layout working or problems we have fixed.

Users can embed YouTube videos into posts/blogs etc. With video file sizes it would place too much load on resources if they could be uploaded directly - it's facility that would be abused with people uploading any old stuff and I wouldn't have time to screen all videos for content and quality.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I couldn't get on with the blogs, they seemed to be a one shot deal, miss it and it's gone.

But, spurred  on by this thread, I've had another look. 

Finding the button to take me to the previous entry opened up a whole new world and it all makes a bit more sense now. 

More time exploring and getting used to them required methinks. 

Andy

Edited by SM42