DCC chip availability

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

It reads as though they may not be as good value as the MX range - but they do tend to quality so not a big surprise if they do go up a noticable amount - although perhaps them buying more of the more expensive chips means they can negotiate a lower unit cost. Who knows? :)

I'll be very surprised if they don't cost at least 50% more than the MX range.  I suspect the industry trend over the next few years will be a marked reduction in the price differential between with and without sound.  Unfurtunately I don't think that will be manifested as a reduction in the price of sound, at least in the short to medium term.

Looking at the Zimo announcement, as per RONronron, there is no mention of a replacement specifically for the MX600R. When I started on DCC with a stable of locos to convert, I was hoping to use this same decoder for as many locos as possible. Having to buy replacements at double the price, perhaps because the supplier has installed functionality I dont need, would lead me to switch. Lets hope its not double.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Looking at the Zimo announcement, as per RONronron, there is no mention of a replacement specifically for the MX600R. When I started on DCC with a stable of locos to convert, I was hoping to use this same decoder for as many locos as possible. Having to buy replacements at double the price, perhaps because the supplier has installed functionality I dont need, would lead me to switch. Lets hope its not double.

The MN300R looks closest?

http://www.zimo.at/web2010/products/mn-nicht-sound-decoder_EN.htm

Obviously no idea of pricing yet.

• RMweb Premium

Looking on the YouChoos website it seems the MX600/MX615/MX616 will continue for now with the others from the MX617 onwards being given replacement MN series numbers which are the new version non-sound replacements. But no prices are stated which does seem to suggest they will rise considerably further encouraging me to consider I have more than enough locos and will now concentrate on other areas of modelling in the future.

Bob

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Looking at the Zimo announcement, as per RONronron, there is no mention of a replacement specifically for the MX600R.……..

10 hours ago, Izzy said:

Looking on the YouChoos website it seems the MX600/MX615/MX616 will continue for now with the others from the MX617 onwards being given replacement MN series numbers ………..

Zimo do say that a few of the old MX decoder models won’t be replaced immediately, due to what they call “ technical reasons”.

I’d expect those cheaper models to also be replaced in the not too distant future.

Buy them while you can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The prices of Zimo decoders has gone up because of the difficulty and increased expense in sourcing chips of a high enough quality, Zimo had for a long time absorbed the increased cost but it has gotten so high that they have no choice but to pass on some of the increases to customers. This was detailed very specifically (including the exact increases) up front by Zimo in one of their newsletters a while ago.

They've also been focused on Sound decoders as that is where they make most of their money, in particular supplying model manufacturers like Roco. This combined with the shortage of chips led to non-sound MX decoders becoming difficult to source and delaying the introduction of the replacement MN range.

ESU on the other hand seem to have gone the other direction and sourced what ever they can get hold of, speculation being that they are sourcing lower quality components to maintain production and not raise prices (though these do seem to have gone up slightly of late), but even with ESU there are some decoders that seem to have been out of stock everywhere for some time (Loksound 5 21 pin NEM 660 for example).

On top of all that you also have the 'UK mark-up' due to all Zimo products going through a single importer (much like a lot of European models all coming via Gaugemaster) and the poor exchange rate since 2016. Not sure what the status is of ESU in that regard but generally prices seem to be higher here than in Europe. For example I can usually source a blank Zimo MS450 or MS440 or Loksound 5 for around €95 (£83, then minus VAT, so really about €79/£69).

On 29/05/2023 at 11:10, Stefan88 said:

ESU on the other hand seem to have gone the other direction and sourced what ever they can get hold of, speculation being that they are sourcing lower quality components 

That doesn't necessarily follow. We were able to carry on business as normal  throughout the pandemic with minor substitutions (e.g., we redesigned a PCB to use a different package) and minimal price increases. We certainly don't have the buying power of ESU or Zimo but our production partner was able to source everything. There was a lot of scalping going on but we managed to avoid it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Think yourself lucky you aren't Raspberry Pi.

There's been no Pi 3 or 4 and only limited numbers of many other models for well over 12 months with Zero2 W and some others due in Sept 2023 and rest not until 2024!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, melmerby said:

Think yourself lucky you aren't Raspberry Pi.

There's been no Pi 3 or 4 and only limited numbers of many other models for well over 12 months with Zero2 W and some others due in Sept 2023 and rest not until 2024!

Hi

Pimoroni had some Pi4s a couple of weeks ago but you had to fit their eligibility criteria to order one.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Pimoroni had some Pi4s a couple of weeks ago but you had to fit their eligibility criteria to order one.

Cheers

Paul

I'm on their "mail me when they are in" list, but didn't hear anything.

(I'm on the Pi Hut list as well)

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I'm on their "mail me when they are in" list, but didn't hear anything.

(I'm on the Pi Hut list as well)

Hi

Depends which memory size as these were 4Gb. I wasn't allowed to order a bare one but I can have a Pi4 with their essentials kit. I wanted to upgrade my Picade to a Pi4 so don't need all the other bits.

Essentials kit

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-4-essentials-kit?variant=40110476132435

The ordering rules

https://shop.pimoroni.com/pages/ordering-restrictions-for-raspberry-pi

I didn't qualify as the account I used to have with all my purchases was removed and I had to create a new account a while back.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulCheffus said:

Hi

Depends which memory size as these were 4Gb. I wasn't allowed to order a bare one but I can have a Pi4 with their essentials kit. I wanted to upgrade my Picade to a Pi4 so don't need all the other bits.

Essentials kit

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-4-essentials-kit?variant=40110476132435

The ordering rules

https://shop.pimoroni.com/pages/ordering-restrictions-for-raspberry-pi

I didn't qualify as the account I used to have with all my purchases was removed and I had to create a new account a while back.

Cheers

Paul

I wanted a 4Gb Pi 4 and I have bought qualifying items from them before the cut off date. (ie in 2022) so it looks like even if they had them you didn't necessarily get notified!

Edited by melmerby

On 29/05/2023 at 11:10, Stefan88 said:

The prices of Zimo decoders has gone up because of the difficulty and increased expense in sourcing chips of a high enough quality, Zimo had for a long time absorbed the increased cost but it has gotten so high that they have no choice but to pass on some of the increases to customers. This was detailed very specifically (including the exact increases) up front by Zimo in one of their newsletters a while ago.

They've also been focused on Sound decoders as that is where they make most of their money, in particular supplying model manufacturers like Roco. This combined with the shortage of chips led to non-sound MX decoders becoming difficult to source and delaying the introduction of the replacement MN range.

ESU on the other hand seem to have gone the other direction and sourced what ever they can get hold of, speculation being that they are sourcing lower quality components to maintain production and not raise prices (though these do seem to have gone up slightly of late), but even with ESU there are some decoders that seem to have been out of stock everywhere for some time (Loksound 5 21 pin NEM 660 for example).

On top of all that you also have the 'UK mark-up' due to all Zimo products going through a single importer (much like a lot of European models all coming via Gaugemaster) and the poor exchange rate since 2016. Not sure what the status is of ESU in that regard but generally prices seem to be higher here than in Europe. For example I can usually source a blank Zimo MS450 or MS440 or Loksound 5 for around €95 (£83, then minus VAT, so really about €79/£69).

All ESU Decoders are in stock and available, with the sounds loaded & speakers from: 

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=68

There is no shortage here !!!!!    Charlie

Legoman Stand at MK.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 17/02/2023 at 15:17, Wear Valley Wanderer said:

I've rather taken to Train-o-matic DCC chips, finding them ideal when converting non-DCC ready locos. In particular I've been using the Lokommander 2 Micro, although some sellers seem to get them mixed up with the 'mini', and I ended up with three of them! Still, I was able to find a use for them.

For a while now thought I've found them to be out of stock everywhere. Are they still in production? If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions for available like for like alternatives I'm all ears.

If you're still looking for them, Roads & Rails have them on special offer today as a Black Friday deal