Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

'The one that got away' - what's the one loco model that you wished you bought before it sold out (and hasn't had another release since)?

Bachmann 39-000L BR Blue 'Newspapers' GUV 2-pack, weathered. Limited edition for Modelzone. Would go fantastic with my '80s newspaper empties rake. No telling how much they'd cost today.

On 04/05/2023 at 22:26, Hal Nail said:

I'm afraid your post perfectly demonstrates why you just end up paying more if you don't wait till the last few seconds to bid.

Of course, you are absolutely correct. I am an IT consultant by trade, now working in data security, but previously in business transformation. I was around at the north of Amazon and eBay amongst others, and one of the central points of the eBay business model at startup was “ bidder anxiety” which was predicted to add 15-20% to year three and four earnings. Think of the volumes of business eBay we’re undertaking in the late 90’s, and the lack of Buy it Now and you’ll see why it was such a key part of corporate strategy. 

In this case, I think I did pay more than I could have done, but it was significantly below what I would have paid, given the right model. 

it arrived yesterday and it’s really good. The seller said it looked like it had never been out of the box, which I always take with a large pinch of sodium, but this time I’d agree with him. It is absolutely in as new condition. The wheels have no signs of any clag on them and it runs like an absolute dream. 

Bachmann are about to release the same engine in N gauge, which I will be buying for my conservatory layout, and that is £100 less than I paid for this, and it’s not a limited edition (or at least I don’t think it is), so the price I paid, whilst on the high side, isn’t excessively so. 

Might have got it cheaper with a last second bid though :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DickBrowne said:

one of the central points of the eBay business model at startup was “ bidder anxiety” which was predicted to add 15-20% to year three and four earnings. Think of the volumes of business eBay we’re undertaking in the late 90’s, and the lack of Buy it Now and you’ll see why it was such a key part of corporate strategy. 

Very interesting to read this.

Of course everyone's perception is clouded, if that's the right word, by their priorities and I'm just bloody tight! As a result i generally get bargains but of course there will be many models I miss by small margins around my limit and other strategies may well avoid that!

• Agree 1

Absolutely agree - what may seem a bargain to me (and I’m not claiming this to be a bargain) may not to you, and vice versa

One of my pleasures in this hobby is buying non-runners at often just a few pounds and resurrecting them; I know people who will do nothing but this, and I know people for whom a screwdriver is nothing more than an instrument of torture, and somewhere in between is me! 

I have a number of hobbies - I fish, I restore vintage watches and I enjoy the challenge of vintage cars and motorbikes. The thing I enjoy within all of these interests is the variety of people, subject matter and opinion found within a community seemingly united by a common interest. 

The enjoyment is in the nuance. 

• Like 3

Never bid on eBay until the last 14 secs clocks in.. it's when the snipe bots place the bidders max bid. Even then you need to hold off till the last few secs, this also stops you bidding over your set max bid.

Can't remember the Murphy's model number but rails of Sheffield did a beautiful weathered Irish that I always regret.

• Agree 1