Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

'The one that got away' - what's the one loco model that you wished you bought before it sold out (and hasn't had another release since)?

On 25/02/2023 at 22:18, AyJay said:

Not a locomotive at all...

In the first series of 'Hornby, a model world', that's when I first heard about the 'Winston Churchill Funeral Car'.

However, by the time it was run on TV, it had already been sold out !$%@**$!#

Simon Kohler, are you listening!  Do a rerun please. 

Keep watching. They turn up quite often.

But bear in mind it's less than two years to the 60th anniversary of the funeral. If they don't release it in some form I'll eat my hat!

Jason

On 25/02/2023 at 23:21, Talltim said:

Scaletrains Conrail GE C39-8.

I was skint when they came out and the chances of finding a second hand one in the UK is minuscule, importing from the US is now far more expensive than when they came out.

image.jpeg.5964d1f0ca048ce772f9502ee6a460c4.jpeg

And a couple of months later they've re-run it!

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2023 at 17:17, finelines said:

I think the question could be Which one did you miss and now can’t afford?!

Roger

Bachmann/Kernow 2H DEMU - they do come up occasionally on eBay, but at crazy prices...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann Scotrail (Spotrail) Turbostar

I already had the NatEx and First liveries and thought really no space for a third , but its the longest lived of the liveries . I think they were as low as £84.95 for a while . If it is ever released (Bachmann said a long time ago they were updating ) I doubt there will be much change out of £350.

Not so much RTR but a few kits that now go for extremely high prices when they do appear. Not essentials, just would be lovely to have. Mostly from Gibson/M&L and apparently the moulds/tooling is worn out on those.

GWR The Great Bear 4-6-2

GWR Achilles 4-2-2

LNWR Cornwall 2-2-2 with or without the Coupe

A bit of an oddball.

Jackson Evans GWR 39XX 2-6-2T

Hopefully this may reappear from Nucast and I'm sure would be popular. They have done the K Class, so fingers crossed.

SR N15X Remembrance 4-6-0

Jason

• Like 1

O gauge W1 at Warley several years ago for £600, kinda wish I'd bought it now. On the plus side I managed to pick up a 'mostly complete' LMS Turbomotive on Ebay a while later for £300 something notes.

Swings and roundabouts really.

I like this question!

The stand out for me is the BCC Fairburn in CR Blue. I don't know why exactly. I am fond of the Fairburns for their Southern connections, but the real thing wore this livery before I was alive and as far as I'm aware, never visited other railways in this condition.

I have plenty of Pullmans but I also regret missing out on the Hornby 12 wheelers.

I held off buying an Olive S15, hoping that a preserved example, or at least one with the flush sided tender would follow. Not too late I suppose. Similar for the Hattons P, but at least they are doing a re-run!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

I like this question!

The stand out for me is the BCC Fairburn in CR Blue. I don't know why exactly. I am fond of the Fairburns for their Southern connections, but the real thing wore this livery before I was alive and as far as I'm aware, never visited other railways in this condition.

I have plenty of Pullmans but I also regret missing out on the Hornby 12 wheelers.

I held off buying an Olive S15, hoping that a preserved example, or at least one with the flush sided tender would follow. Not too late I suppose. Similar for the Hattons P, but at least they are doing a re-run!

Have you see how much the incorrect Wrenn one goes for!

One of the few Wrenn models that seem to have kept their worth. BR 4MT rather than a Fairburn though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165956522160?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3Da999d2ffe5534e02ac4997943092a93b%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26b%3D1%26sd%3D175657366927%26itm%3D165956522160%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Out of the limited editions it's the KWVR Ivatt I wouldn't mind having. I know it's not up to current standards but I reckon it would go well with the USA Tank. They do come up frequently though.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Bachmann's LMS 10000 diesel.

I was going through a phase of paying little attention to the hobby when it was released.

plenty on eBay, some with no bids at £90-100 

• Like 1

A resin kit for a rebuilt Alco RS3M, which fitted on the chassis of a Kato/Atlas RS3. At one time, the kits were permanently on E-bay. The ‘donor’ RS3s were there, too, but always IMO rather pricey. Eventually, I got an RS3 at what I thought was a good price and went back to find a kit - none there! I even messaged the seller to see if he had any left. He didn’t, but said he was going to start 3D printing them, but that never happened.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/04/2023 at 16:12, DickBrowne said:

My first is the Queen Anne/Longmorn Distillery Ruston 48 - I do see them on eBay sometimes, but usually in the "sold" section. I will snag one one day. 

Hereford Model Centre have 8 brand new Queen Anne’s versions in stock for £71.99 each.

On 29/04/2023 at 04:30, MattR said:

Hereford Model Centre have 8 brand new Queen Anne’s versions in stock for £71.99 each.

Oh Matt, if only we'd met last week. Allow me to explain that comment :-)

It's been quite the week. Bucoops posted a link to a Bachmann Sherlock on eBay, and I popped it on my watch list with no real hope of being able to afford it. 

In order to console myself, I drove to Manchester (the long way around) via Sheffield on Wednesday, and whilst on my way I popped into Olivia's Trains, who I'd seen had two Queen Anne's in stock. When I got there, they only had one left, so I tbought I'd better snap it up, which I did - at full price (although they did then give me 10% off for cash, as I also bought a Class 03 at the same time).

The eBay auction for the Class 20 ended at half-seven tonight, and having had a weekend of midelling, I thought I'd settle down with a cup of tea and watch where the auction went. It had been at £155 for a number of days, but I predicted a late flurry of enthusiasm from bidders. With three minutes to go, I popped £165 in as my opening bid. Outbid. I increased to £185. Outbid.

I'd already set my mind that £200 would be the absolute maximum I would go to, so I bid £220; go on, judge me. We've all been there! and I was the high bidder.

For about 15 seconds. 

Darn it, I'm not biddign any more, I promised myself as my bid for £250 went in. Once more I was the high bidder and there was a minute to go. I sipped my tea and watch the seconds tick away. 15 seconds to go, I was still high bidder. 9, 8, outbid! 

What the heck? £275 and that really would be my final bid, even if only because there was insufficient time for another bid. 

Then the message - You've won it! Said eBay, with a silent "by paying way too much". My wife re-entered the conservatory which she'd vacated whilst the final tense minutes were lining up, and was possibly even more delighted than I was. 

I ended up paying £266, which may have been too much, but I'm not unhappy with the result - it appears to be in excellent conditon, and it's a loco I've wanted for quite some time. I'm happy to have won it, and if it's as good as the photos make it look, I'll be over the moon.

Thank you to Matt and to Bucoops for the pointers. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Many moons ago, Merlin Models produced a live steam model of the ex Sierra Leone Government Railways 2-6-2T (as running on the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway). My credit card limit had just been increased to £650, the price of the loco and surprisingly, I was not owing anything on it! I was tempted but in the end bottled out of paying that much.

Many Bachmann locos passed me by too, as at the time they appeared, I couldn't afford them - good old "limited run batch production!!!!"

Being a BOF, I hanker for the days I could go into a model shop and have an equal chance of buying what I was after!

Nowadays, modelling in N gauge has really limited my missing out on stuff.....

Edited by flyingsignalman

I thought too long about one of the Model Rail USA tanks in SR sunshine black.  Unusually for a Big Four model, it was one of the first to sell out.  Maybe they made far fewer in that livery.  They still have loads in other liveries, including the Marmite K&WVR brown and silver.

for me - all released at a dire time in my life and just unable to afford / justify

Heljan O gauge blue class 25/3 ............................ hoping for a re-run

Heljan OO gauge Lion 

Corgi Aviation 1/72 B-17 Flying Fortress US33306

• RMweb Premium
On 30/04/2023 at 21:59, DickBrowne said:

With three minutes to go

I'm afraid your post perfectly demonstrates why you just end up paying more if you don't wait till the last few seconds to bid.

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2023 at 22:48, melmoth said:

DC Kits Hastings units

Tbh, pretty much any of the DC Kits kits. I was rather lucky to pick up a 2-Hap kit a few years ago off the 'bay (i've almost finished it), but gave a 3D Oxted kit a miss when it went northwards of £150 on the same action site.

• Like 1