Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

'The one that got away' - what's the one loco model that you wished you bought before it sold out (and hasn't had another release since)?

A part of me wishes I'd bought a Stirling Single, especially given that the Hattons Genesis coaches provide it with something to pull (one of the reasons I didn't buy it at the time). I also sort-of wish I'd bought a Bachmann Blue Pullman in the first run, before they started doing ridiculously expensive "collectors editions". But, on the other hand, they just would join my APT-E, Hornby Rocket, Hattons/Heljan Garrett and the forthcoming Rapido Titfield Express (which I have ordered) as things which only get the occasional run-out on the test track rather than having a place on a layout I'm actually building. So I'm not that regretful about it.

If/when I ever do get the loft conversion done and have space for a big roundy-roundy (which I've been promising myself for nearly ten years, but there's always something else which takes priority), then I might be more in the market for this kind of one-off, just for the fun of it. But, for now, I'm probably better off not buying it.

Back in the earlier days of my active return to the hobby, about 15 years ago (good grief, is it really that long?) I missed out on several everyday items that I would have bought, because I didn't realise how much the world had changed and how much I needed to either buy on pre-order or immediately after release, rather than waiting until I felt like it. But, on the other hand, a lot of that sort of stuff does crop up every now and then on eBay and exhibition trade stands at reasonable prices, so there's not a lot that I really have missed out on completely.

Because the same regret tinged with both melancholy and lingering smugness (over previous financial prudence) applies to Auction lots, a very large number. Yes, with auctions you can always bid more on the rare occasion that the perfectly-correct used model comes up, but that way lies poverty and lack of domestic harmony.

Most recently a couple of Bachman Spectrum 0-4-4-0 geared logging locomotives in On30.

Mamod SL1 set, for about £30 at a swapmeet in 1988 when I was a teenager and it was still alot of pocket money. I probably would have found out that they are dire and I've since scratched that garden railway itch with an Edrig. 

I can't say I'm too bothered about anything recently, if I've wanted something I've built it myself. It just takes longer...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Fun, though!

Can't think of any RTR model that I want for Cwmdimbath that I haven't got, though I would certainly buy an 1854 or 2721 pannier if somebody made one, and will find it very hard to resist the upcoming Rapido 44xx (and the other small prairies come to that, though funds might scupper my desires and the Baccy small prairies are pretty good).  A Collett 1938 31xx would be nice as well; I'm not wishlisting, honest, just flagging up possible RTR models that I'd be sorry to miss.  Diagram N or A10 autotrailers and A20 TVR twin set gangwayed autotrailers as well, while we are wishlisting flagging up possible RTR models that I'd be sorry to miss!

Not a locomotive at all...

In the first series of 'Hornby, a model world', that's when I first heard about the 'Winston Churchill Funeral Car'.

However, by the time it was run on TV, it had already been sold out !$%@**$!#

Simon Kohler, are you listening!  Do a rerun please. 

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann S stock, I remember at the time all the hoo ha about it being expensive at £280, oh to have a Time Machine

there are also locos etc that I have owned and sold on that I really wish I didn’t such as London midland desiro bought new for £90 from the bargain table at Ian Allen

edit: just found this picture in my photobucket of a layout I did at my old house back in 2004, how I wish I still had all those wagons and coaches, certainly can’t afford to replace them now 

Picture_1864.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, big jim said:

Bachmann S stock, I remember at the time all the hoo ha about it being expensive at £280, oh to have a Time Machine

there are also locos etc that I have owned and sold on that I really wish I didn’t such as London midland desiro bought new for £90 from the bargain table at Ian Allen

edit: just found this picture in my photobucket of a layout I did at my old house back in 2004, how I wish I still had all those wagons and coaches, certainly can’t afford to replace them now 

Picture_1864.jpg

You placed more trust in those shelf brackets than I would have!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Aaargh, indeed I still feel the pain! A Chivers Finelines D20 kit. Not only that I didn't buy one when I should have, but long after they were out of production, and C&G Models in Darlington were closing down and selling off all manner of stuff, I walked into the shop to witness another person buying one!!!  And by way of salt into the wound - at a very knocked down price.

😭

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

Two for me - one quite common, the other less so...

My first is the Queen Anne/Longmorn Distillery Ruston 48 - I do see them on eBay sometimes, but usually in the "sold" section. I will snag one one day. 

The second is one of two loco's - Bachmann's London Transport Class 20 - Sir Joihn Betjeman or Sherlock Holmes. When I first realised that I can't live without one of these in my life, I looked on eBay and there were two for sale, so I made the ridiculous assumption that they were commonly available and didn't bid. Haven't seen one since. Unlikely to ever see one again.

Although I have been fairly fortunate to get most of the things I really want, there are a handful of Bachmann multiple unit models that show no sign of being reissued and even if if they were they would be many multiples of their original price in the 2005-2015 period. Top of mind are the FGW livery Class 166, Chiltern 168 and CrossCountry Voyager sets.

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, DickBrowne said:

My first is the Queen Anne/Longmorn Distillery Ruston 48 - I do see them on eBay sometimes, but usually in the "sold" section. I will snag one one day. 

The second is one of two loco's - Bachmann's London Transport Class 20 - Sir Joihn Betjeman or Sherlock Holmes. When I first realised that I can't live without one of these in my life, I looked on eBay and there were two for sale, so I made the ridiculous assumption that they were commonly available and didn't bid. Haven't seen one since. Unlikely to ever see one again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266231645792 - no connection with the seller but might be of interest?

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, DickBrowne said:

I sold one on eBay a couple of months ago, I let it go for £50 in the end after a few relistings at £60 with no interest at all