Β 

Gulf, Atlanta & Eastern - into the second decade

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Ian - I really enjoyed chatting and my brief time watching Roundhouse. I was taking mental notes from your very well-weathered coaling tower, as I've just built the N scale version (which is a hell of a complicated kit, I'm guessing the HO one is the same - did my head in making all those chutes and pulleys.).

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations on being a cover star. Roundhouse (NMRA mag) arrived yesterday.

Β 

Wow, news to me! But since I've been away for the weekend, I haven't actually looked at my post yet!

• RMweb Gold

My Roundhouse was in the mailbox - excellent! It's only a small piece but it has prompted me to think about doing a longer one for one of the paying magazines, now that there seems to be enough of the layout done to get a variety of viewpoints.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Surprised to see in Roundhouse that Peter North is disposing of all his stock for the Virginian layout, which is described as abandoned. Given the coverage that this unusual and interesting layout had in Continental Modeller last year, and on the DVD, that's quite a turn of events. I hope all is well and it's just that Peter has had a change of direction. (By the way, don't, as I just did, google "Peter North" - not recommended).

Yes, Peter has an unfortunate name-sake. I must say that I must be totally depraved (what Mums always say to the daughter's about Musicians) because when I first heard of Peter North's layouts my thought was: "Well, he can't be all bad, then".

Β 

Best, Pete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not a recent purchase, but this Intermountain FP7 A and B unit has only just been equipped with decoders, so other than testing on DC, now's the first time it's had a decent chance to run on the layout. The detailing on the FP7 is exquisite - check out the windscreen wipers and that gorgeous flush glazing. This would look good in HO; in N it's stunning. Not sure about the number boards...

Β 

post-6720-0-31411400-1339709524.jpg

Β 

post-6720-0-66128200-1339709553.jpg

Β 

Another couple of recent arrivals are these RS-3s - again, one of them has been waiting a decoder for some time. The newer of the pair is the recent Bachmann model which comes with DCC onboard as standard. This is a nice running model which has been doing sterling switching duties for a couple of weeks.

Β 

post-6720-0-02469800-1339709642.jpg

Β 

Below is an Atlas RS-3, one of three running on the GA&E. This is an older model but the detailing and finishing is still top-notch. The Bachmann version has the edge, though, in terms of a more realistic ride height and some painted details such as guard rails, cab window trim etc. Think I prefer the lettering on the Atlas. However the difference in ride height is really only apparent when you get your eye low, so it's swings and roundabouts. Both look like the real thing. I'm rapidly developing a bit of a "thing" about RS-3s, in fact. There's something so purposeful and American about them.

Β 

post-6720-0-67581900-1339709788.jpg

Β 

Side by side for comparison. The arrangement of front headlights presumably reflects prototype variations, although I'm not sure which (if either) would be correct for the Southern.

Β 

post-6720-0-06565600-1339709847.jpg

Β 

And finally ... a bit of modest progress on the layout itself. Here you can see the start of a junction off the high-level branch, which will eventually bring the track out onto the detachable peninsula. This is the tightest bit of visible trackage on the layout but my intention is that it will generally only be traversed by 4-axle diesels and 40' box cars, minimising the visual impact of the curvature. This area is still quite sketchy at the moment (I don't like to over-plan as it takes the fun out of it for me) but there will eventually be a reasonably well developed town on this part of the layout.

Β 

post-6720-0-18622400-1339710000.jpg

Β 

Thanks to Digitrains for handling the decoder installation in the RS-3s and the FP7s, and to Bromsgrove models for some recent DCC bits and bobs. And thanks for reading, and apologies for the odd bit of fluff on the lens in some of these shots.

• Like 4

They all look very good, indeed.

Β 

I'm always surprised by the truck/bogie detail on American outline models from the manufacturers (yes, there are always exceptions), using the brake actuaters as a standard (the design is almost identical spanning the Atlantic) the 3D quality compared to say most 4mm/OOGauge RTR diesels is astonishing nowadays.

Β 

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Layout looking superb. Looking forward to seeingm ore photos as it develops. When you say detatchable penninsular - will that be an exhibitable one?

Β 

Pete

I agree that USA N scale is generally superb. British stuff is pretty good but let down by running qualities depsite similar mechs to USA locos.

Β 

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Β 

Β 

Possibly, or it may end up that the peninsula itself has a smaller detachable bit sitting on top of it.

Β 

Ah, you've talked about a similar concept before Mr Ten, I seem to recall...

I think it would be a good idea

The majority of US stuff you tend to see at shows is 0-16.5 or HO (certainly locally)

Would be nice to see an N gauge small layout

built to the sort of standard you have built GA&S...

Β 

Haven't looked at this thread in much too long

seeing those lovely pics in the mag at the weekend prompted me to have a peek..

Now I'm glad I did :)

Some smashing pics there sir

Β 

Speak soon

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Any updates

Dunno, but thanks for 'bumping' this thread as I've obviously missed the June pictures!! I tell you what - those F-Units are utterly superb!

If N Scale had been that detailed when I was doing it 20 years ago, I would've had a much harder decision to make when it came to choosing between N & HO... :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Jumpin' jack flash...

Β 

The new N scale Gas Electric Doodlebug from Bachmann, with decoder and coach lighting already fitted. This is a very nice model - runs well and it's a complete train. I got the undecorated version with a view to adding GA&E lettering at some point.

Β 

post-6720-0-74093800-1352067237.jpg

Β 

post-6720-0-80848300-1352067283.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Any updates

Β 

Sorry, I missed this post. No, not done anything on the layout in months, other than run the occasional train to keep the track and switches

in order. But I've recently started planning the next "push" so there should be some progress soon. I find I have two settings in my brain -

00 and N - and I tend to get stuck on one for months on end, perhaps because once you get the kits and parts out on the workbench, it's

easier to stick with one than keep chopping and changing.

• RMweb Gold

Dunno, but thanks for 'bumping' this thread as I've obviously missed the June pictures!! I tell you what - those F-Units are utterly superb!

If N Scale had been that detailed when I was doing it 20 years ago, I would've had a much harder decision to make when it came to choosing between N & HO... :O

Β 

They are good models, yes. But the grass is always greener isn't it? I often hanker after the sound-equipped HO stuff. There's just that bit more

variety of models in the larger scale, too. But no regrets.

Β 

The only things I don't like about the Intermountain units are the distance between them when coupled (fixable) and their slightly tippy-toes look when put alongside a Kato F-unit. That being said, both my ATSF F7A/F7B/F7B/F7A set (guess what they pull) and my CN FP9A/F9B set are exquisite.

Β 

I missed out on the various PRR releases, unfortunately, but they would still have needed modification to add the Trainphone antennas (like almost every other RTR N-scale PRR loco from the period). I have this perverse penchant of liking railroads (and railways) that did thing differently...

Β 

I always thought the RS-2/RS-3 looked undernourished, but then I'm a fan of the GP7/GP9 family (and in my modern NS stuff, SD70s and SD80s).

Β 

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle

......If N Scale had been that detailed when I was doing it 20 years ago, I would've had a much harder decision to make when it came to choosing between N & HO... :O

Β 

I agree sir - "N" has not only improved drammatically in appearances

It now runs so well too

Β 

I dabbled a little in N many years back, and it ran dreadfully!

I now have a small N collection (which I still have to put to some use!)

and it runs really well

Β 

Indeed, if it had run so well back then,

I would possibly have completed a layout,

instead of a half built one in a chilly loft.......

Β 

Looking good Barry

Edited by marc smith

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Barry

Β 

Thanks, sir - and by the way, postie just delivered the new BRM with your article on Poynton Sneer in it - nice job,

reads very well and a good joke about the iron still being warm... nice also to see the other layouts, sort of

Smith's Greatest Hits.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In N scale, there isn't anything like the range of models that you get in HO, so you take what you can get. Pacifics are very short on the ground, at least those suitable for my neck of the woods - in fact the list begins and ends with exactly one model, the Model Power USRA 4-6-2. And even then, I don't know how particularly accurate it is since MP seem to use the same body casting over their USRA 2-8-2 as well.

Β 

Never mind, though, I fancied one so earlier this year I picked one up off ebay. I'd heard decidely mixed views of the Model Power locos - it was said that if you got a good one, they ran really well but the pickup arrangement was hit and miss. Also, they aren't DCC ready, requiring a hard-wired decoder. I had also had doubts about the moulded handrails and a tendency for the cab to look a bit droopy in some of the examples I'd seen - but as I say, you take what you can get and the wheels and motion looked well up to scratch.

Β 

When I got my model I was suprised at how sloppy the loco-tender connection was - it seemed to be retained only by the wires, with the drawbar doing nothing. When I eventually opened the tender to look at the wiring, I could see that a small plastic spigot was missing, which gave the drawbar nothing to hook over. I fashioned a replacement from plastic rod. I then tested the model on a short stretch of DC test track. It ran very slowly and smoothly, if a little noisier than a contemporary Bachmann model.

Β 

There matters rested until I found the nerve to wire in a Lenz silver mini decoder. It turned out to be relatively straightforward, provided I accepted the headlamp being on permanently. Dismantling the loco, to get at the headlamp wiring, is apparently a significantly harder job so I kept well away from that.

Β 

However, the model ran terribly on the layout. It was still smooth and controllable, but it stalled at every opportunity. It turns out that the Model Power pickup arrangement is quite poor - a straight length of plain test track is no substitute for a layout with pointwork, curves, etc! The tender bogies are each live to one rail, so you're only picking up from two wheels at a time. Yes, there are pickups on the loco but the wheelbase is short and the problems seemed to happen when the loco was going over point frogs, leading to the driving wheels dropping slightly into the crossing. At that point the tender is doing all the pickup work and it's not sufficient.

Β 

Trawling the internet, I read that some people had done a straight swap with a Bachmann USRA tender, which has a proven and reliable eight wheel pickup arrangement. That seemed like a good idea, and Bachmann tenders are relatively easy to obtain, so (again to ebay) I got myself a spare. (I actually ended paying more than if I'd gone straight to Bachmann's spares department - lesson learned, there). But that was about 6 months ago as I couldn't immediately find a way to dismantle the Bachmann tender. I kept putting it off, never quite feeling up to the job of transplanting the decoder and sorting out the wiring and drawbar connection to the new tender. I think partly it was the fear that if this didn't work, there were not many other options.

Β 

As it happened, with a freshly tidied layout room, I felt like giving it a shot and it turned out to be one of those jobs that was much, much easier than I expected. Dismantling the Bachmann tender - a snip, just needed to be a bit more forceful. Inside, everything unscrewed very easily and the Bachmann wiring convention was very straightforward. I made a diagram just to be sure and then snipped and resoldered the Lenz chip into the Bachmann chassis. I also found that - thanks to a cunningly placed screw - it was a matter of seconds to work in a new drawbar connection. The model was tested and the difference in performance was fantastic - not a stutter or stall, even with the pickup coming entirely from the tender. I then reconnected the loco pickups as well, just to be 100%.

Β 

The only remaining job is to hack a bit more plastic away from the Model Power tender shell so that it can sit nicely on the Bachmann chassis - you can see it riding high in the pics - but if that fails, I still have the undecorated Bachmann tender shell as a fall back. The only thing I've discovered tonight is that no one seems to do Southern steam locomotive decals in N. Bit of a surprise, that, as I have a couple of other steamers I'd like to paint and/or renumber.

Β 

In terms of the body detailing it's still a bit of a mixed blessing, the MP USRA pacific, but it looks nice and purposeful and it is very heavy, being all die-cast. I think it will look good pulling some Southern green heavyweight coaches and from normal layout viewing distances, those moulded handrails aren't going to matter...

Β 

post-6720-0-54437300-1353452264.jpg

Β 

post-6720-0-89670900-1353452336.jpg

Β 

Cheers and thanks for reading.

• Like 2

In N scale, there isn't anything like the range of models that you get in HO, so you take what you can get.....

Β 

That surprises me a little, as a non-us modeller

I do see a lot of American HO,

but my perception as an "outsider"

is that I seem to recall seeing quite a lot of American N at exhibition.....

Β 

I was really impressed with the running quality of not just your layout the other evening,

but some of the slow running locos really performed well,

and on track you had conefssed to rarely cleaning!

Β 

It's looking good, and all coming together very nicely :)

Β 

Cheers again

Β 

PS. Thanks for the kind words re: Poynton

Many of my jokes / light-hearted comments are usually edited from my text,

but Steve at BRM seems to want to include them - well, most of them ;)

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

There is a good range of well running North American N-gauge locomotives, but typically only for specific roads. There is so much variation between the various roads that the manufacturers can't cater for all of them. This eased a bit during the early diesel years, but there were still variations. Barry Ten chose one of the roads that has less interest and therefore less road-specific locos are available. The Southern was also a road that went its own way a bit in later diesel years, specifying high short hoods and backwards running for their GP38s and GP50s, a problem that still plagues me with my modern(ish) Norfolk Southern stock. For my transition road I picked a very popular road that tended to go its own way (the PRR) and hence have a similar issue there. Oh well, it does force you to do some modelling. This road-specific variation is still true to an extent in the modern day - e.g. there isn't an accurate N-scale Dash 9 bodyshell for Norfolk Southern since they chose a different lighting layout to the big western roads.

Β 

I don't know about the Model Power pacific, but the MP Mikado (2-8-2) is a good representation of a USRA Light Mikado (The superb* Kato one is a USRA Heavy Mikado) . The headlight is, as mentioned, a stupid setup but fortunately I will be dispensing with the one on mine as the PRR modified the few (5) that it inherited by moving the headlight. I'll have to source a Bachmann tender for it.

Β 

*albeit distinctly DCC unfriendly

Β 

Adrian