How were PCA cement tanks discharged at receiving terminals ?

rob D2

Hi,

As above please - I’m looking at an 80s siding , to maybe utilise the Hornby resin cement what not that fills road tanks, but how did it get out the PCAs into the silo thingy ?

Was it hose and pressured out , or did it come out the bottom into some kind of drop pit ?

Any gen appreciated , cheers 

8 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Hi,

As above please - I’m looking at an 80s siding , to maybe utilise the Hornby resin cement what not that fills road tanks, but how did it get out the PCAs into the silo thingy ?

Was it hose and pressured out , or did it come out the bottom into some kind of drop pit ?

Any gen appreciated , cheers 

Would be hose and pressure Rob.

• Informative/Useful 2

We have had a thread or two before about cement terminals, I posted a couple of my pictures,

but I can't find them now,

scan0027.jpg.b7a135252e7d6fac5483ed35989d844a.jpg

Exeter Central Blue Circle Cement depot. I believe last time I posted this photo the brick building located this

side of the cement silo was identified as the compressor house. Note that the former Fyffes warehouse

on the right hand siding was by then used by Premier Transport, who handled cartage and cranage for Speedlink traffic including Guinness from Park Royal, 17/7/85

cheers 

• Like 4

It all depends on the terminal facilities and wagons used!

The Hornby chevron PCA is a DP duel purpose and can be pressure discharged or by gravity, the Metalair ones from Bachmann are primarily intended for pressure discharge but can also be gravity discharged, however it messy.

Th Accurascale PCV, LA light alloy is air assisted gravity discharge!

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

We have had a thread or two before about cement terminals, I posted a couple of my pictures,

Exeter Central Blue Circle Cement depot. I believe last time I posted this photo the brick building located this

side of the cement silo was identified as the compressor house. Note that the former Fyffes warehouse

on the right hand siding was by then used by Premier Transport, who handled cartage and cranage for Speedlink traffic including Guinness from Park Royal, 17/7/85

cheers 

What is the wagon right next to the Premier Transport shed? Is it one of the Accurascale PCA type wagons?

3 hours ago, Rivercider said:

cheers 

Funnily enough, I was looking at that last night as I’ve just taken delivery of your books on freight trains in the 80s, and freight in south Wales. I think I have all 4 now.

But I can’t see the discharge kit - that’s what I need to model it really . If it’s just a hose , I guess any hose will do, but must be a compressor or something to blow it out 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

It all depends on the terminal facilities and wagons used!

The Hornby chevron PCA is a DP duel purpose and can be pressure discharged or by gravity, the Metalair ones from Bachmann are primarily intended for pressure discharge but can also be gravity discharged, however it messy.

Th Accurascale PCV, LA light alloy is air assisted gravity discharge!

That’s interesting . I have 4 of them , and 2 Bachmann ones of the metal air type. Trying to give them a siding to do something in .

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Funnily enough, I was looking at that last night as I’ve just taken delivery of your books on freight trains in the 80s, and freight in south Wales. I think I have all 4 now.

But I can’t see the discharge kit - that’s what I need to model it really . If it’s just a hose , I guess any hose will do, but must be a compressor or something to blow it out 

The compressor would normally be housed in a brick-built shed, often with louvred doors. It would only be visible when the doors were open (to blow off condensate, for example)

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Wummyock said:

What is the wagon right next to the Premier Transport shed? Is it one of the Accurascale PCA type wagons?

Yes, it is. As is the second wagon back in the siding next to it. And there are Metalair examples there too in amongst the depressed centre “V” tanks. A nice mix of types in that one picture.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Hi Rob, this view of Lawrence Hill shows a sizeable mobile compressor and pipes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard_davies_collection/11368311104/in/photolist-ijzyPS-2kzaAuF-2krBX42-7tpLG8-4J6bTC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Hi Rob, this view of Lawrence Hill shows a sizeable mobile compressor and pipes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard_davies_collection/11368311104/in/photolist-ijzyPS-2kzaAuF-2krBX42-7tpLG8-4J6bTC

So could one could model a siding with these wagons being unloaded directly into a 'Pres-flo lorry' with a model of a 'pneumatic drill compressor'?  E.g., this, when in stock:

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/ax098-oo-compressor-with-jack-hammer--tow-bars-oo4mm176-7220-p.asp

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Edit - thanks for buying the books, if they have helped anyone modelling the 1980s that is a good thing. I always like the freight based layouts you have produced. 

Here is another photo off Flickr of Exeter Central with 31456  by Steve McMullin taken  20/6/88, with some pipes visible.

Blue Circle cement terminal Exeter Central

Photo by Steve McMullin. 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

Edit - thanks for buying the books, if they have helped anyone modelling the 1980s that is a good thing. I always like the freight based layouts you have produced. 

Here is another photo off Flickr of Exeter Central with 31456  by Steve McMullin taken  20/6/88, with some pipes visible.

Blue Circle cement terminal Exeter Central

Photo by Steve McMullin. 

cheers

There are a couple of compressors visible to the right of the loco nose, and I suspect there are others in the red brick building in front of the silo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Air discharge is the most common. An air connection on the tank with a valve and pressure gauge on the pipe work, inside the tank is an aerator pipe which causes the powder to act like a liquid when the pressure reaches the relevant pressure, the discharge valve is opened and the powder will be discharged. The Presflos had the method of operation painted on the side of the vessel.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3