uv activated glue.

I was reminded of this stuff yesterday when I had to have a cracked filling replaced.

Then it popped up on Facebook.

I now see it seems to be available on a certain suction site too.

Has anyone used it in our hobby?

Interesting that my dentist went to amber lighting, squeezed the stuff into place, spent five minutes carving it, then activated it.

I'd have thought that would be useful?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, JeffP said:

Yes, I did give this glue a go. It did work fine, although I can’t now recall what specifically I used it on. But I’m not sure it was easier to use, or better as sticking, than other suitable (for job in hand at the time) glues I had at my fingertips at that point. Well worth a try, and I probably would use again at some point. Just not such a significant success that I’m wholly committed to it.

ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a tube.

Points to note:

It's not a glue. It works best if there is a cavity for it to get a grip in. I'm not sure if it sticks to itself. Instructions ask for a rough surface.

It has a long time before you have to make it set. Lots of adjustment time.

It needs to be visible to the UV light.  Mine says that it should be 2 feet away from you!  (25")

It does a good job holding something in a hole that's slightly too big. You may need 3 hands for this job.

I bought a UV glue kit a couple of years back.  My thought was that it would work well for attaching the gubbins on diesel buffer beams, hold the hose in position, then shine the light.  It worked, but gel super glue or epoxy worked as well, and held better.  I'm still using 5 minute epoxy.  I like super glue, but its shelf life is short.  5 minute epoxy in the bottle last years,  and you have plenty of time to to position the part while it sets.  Plus, if you are gluing etched brass hooks on wagons, IMO nothing beats epoxy.  If you are just pushing wagons around on a shelfie, all three glues will hold your hooks in place.  A big layout, with helixes and long rakes of weighted wagons, use epoxy on those hooks.

1 hour ago, TheEngineShed said:

................................. I like super glue, but its shelf life is short.  5 minute epoxy in the bottle last years,.................

While you have no control over how the retailer stores his stock of super glue,  I always refrigerate it to extend the working life.  I also stand the tubes upright once the seal on the end of the nozzle is pierced to prevent the glue setting in the nozzle.  I also avoid like the plague all the inexpensive brands found in those two dollar stores as not only is the shelf life minimal,  the quality is rubbish.  In days of old a Japanese brand "Network" was the ant's pants but I have not seen the brand for a very long time.  The label actually stated to store in a refrigerator. A pity as it worked wonders.

• RMweb Gold

I find pound shop superglue has a use precisely because of it’s rubbish quality.  It can be used to hold parts in position but the seal can be easily broken should you wish to take them apart again.  I am adept at losing body retaining screws, which sacrifice themselves to the Carpet Monster, and have (I’m not proud of this) locos with bodyshells secured to the chassis in this way.  

Any need to get inside is met by levering the bodyshell off gently with an old screwdriver, cracking the cheap glue, which can then easily be scraped off and replaced when the loco is re-assembled.  This means that you can save your ‘good’ superglue for applications where it’s strength is necessary,  load-bearing jobs or where handling is expected.  

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I am aware that the thread is about UV activated glues,  however, the following is the super glue that I currently favour.  It is cheap and works well.  I purchase it from the local "Reject Shop" where it is sold in a pack of two tubes for around $6.00Aud.

https://www.bostik.com/australia/en_AU/catalog/product/DIY/apac/australia/product-super-glue-industrial-st/

Hi,

I've been using it for a while. I've found its good where you can get the UV light source to illuminate all of the resin/glue. It is very good where you need to adjust things a lot before setting the resin. I've found some clear materials can be glued to something else by passing the UV light through the clear material. I've been experimenting with making low cost split axle holders using selected heat shrink tube with the outer layer being clear tubing and putting UV glue between the two tubes and then shining UV light through the outer sleeve.

Regards

Nik

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 15/03/2023 at 08:27, JeffP said:

I was reminded of this stuff yesterday when I had to have a cracked filling replaced.

Then it popped up on Facebook.

I now see it seems to be available on a certain suction site too.

Interesting that my dentist went to amber lighting, squeezed the stuff into place, spent five minutes carving it, then activated it.

I'd have thought that would be useful?

I've just spent five minutes trying to work out what a suction site is 🙄

• Funny 6

I've had a few of these.

I'd recommend them for almost anything.

Things to note are:

The battery lasts just long enough for the amount of resin. Always switch off asap

Easy to use tube.

Glues almost anything

Place a spot (or larger) of resin, hold the item in place and shine the LED. 5 - 8 sec.

The UV LED light must be able to reach the resin. It cannot be in a hole etc. but it will shine through itself.

Dave.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265632277210?epid=28044635574&hash=item3dd8eae2da:g:--UAAOSwFgNdaSaa&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4Lqgf7k%2Bv7ioyq%2BzViGiPZ4lGbhdZ%2BAC5gvfvRA3n3IrQxJaEZNcfB0qRxjjTKHPgwWhjwappcIDz2sQLWyoGuoNDTmBc9RyYfrv5htXIxao%2BaQ5ReDZmu%2B7C1JluspmbFxdquqw9kJLuq264Z27JmQwdTmjKkCwSiZ8ixaAVvtGEMyBdBwffeeKZbmcL1PRr3ELFrcIlpri29XM17uKENxABGLu7PGkWvr5sq5aVbiOLFZILMGz2qB4qvntCpfu%2FqwfvX8usrOI5evwSOHsjfCaaBYXMd7GgGmsLPnejFBA|tkp%3ABFBM5PTcrt1h

image.png.eec3013d29e4984e11c590834fdb5100.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

The battery lasts just long enough for the amount of resin. Always switch off asap

How fussy is the glue about the UV wavelength?  It might be easier if you could you use an ordinary AA-powered UV torch such as this one* to do the job.

* I use for checking UV fluorescent security markings, in case you were wondering.  We don't have a dog... 

On 16/03/2023 at 15:59, ejstubbs said:

How fussy is the glue about the UV wavelength?  It might be easier if you could you use an ordinary AA-powered UV torch such as this one* to do the job.

* I use for checking UV fluorescent security markings, in case you were wondering.  We don't have a dog... 

Sorry but I haven,t the faintest.y