Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Downtime - 22 Mar 2023

• Moderators

Apologies for the downtime which was at Invision's end.

"Downtime Incident

Early this morning, our launch configurations that have been in place for some time started failing. An internal utility at AWS that has been in place for years was no longer operating. A work around has been put in place and we are investigating with our AWS account representative as to the root cause of this failure. They do not yet know at this time. Our sincerest apologies for this downtime event. We have monitoring, automatic scaling, and various systems in place to prevent just such an issue. However, with such a low level piece of the AWS systems failing without warning, we were unable to quickly recover. At this time we have no further information but can promise we will work with AWS to determine root cause."

• Thanks 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Legend said:

Whenever I cant find you I always assume its something my end !  Thanks for explanation 

If it's a significant issue I always post a notice on our Facebook page when the site is offline - https://www.facebook.com/rmwebupdates

You don't have to be a Facebook user to read the updates.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Apologies for the downtime which was at Invision's end.

"Downtime Incident

Early this morning, our launch configurations that have been in place for some time started failing. An internal utility at AWS that has been in place for years was no longer operating. A work around has been put in place and we are investigating with our AWS account representative as to the root cause of this failure. They do not yet know at this time. Our sincerest apologies for this downtime event. We have monitoring, automatic scaling, and various systems in place to prevent just such an issue. However, with such a low level piece of the AWS systems failing without warning, we were unable to quickly recover. At this time we have no further information but can promise we will work with AWS to determine root cause."

That’s a very long winded was of saying someone pulled the plug out!

4A57E796-5BD4-4894-BF4B-BDEF2264C991.jpeg.2a5b5a7377651d46bc553215d385d213.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Stuff like this happens with lots of websites - I'm not exactly screaming about it.

As Bill Shankly is reputed not to have said:

"It's not a matter of life and death - it's nowhere near as important as that."

For most of us using this site, short outages are a minor irritant - nothing more - we can always log in later, or tomorrow.

I've certainly got other stuff stressing me out far more than the status of a hobby website - even a good one, like this one.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Stuff like this happens with lots of websites - I'm not exactly screaming about it.

As Bill Shankly is reputed not to have said:

"It's not a matter of life and death - it's nowhere near as important as that."

For most of us using this site, short outages are a minor irritant - nothing more - we can always log in later, or tomorrow.

I've certainly got other stuff stressing me out far more than the status of a hobby website - even a good one, like this one.

Quite, I was forced to do some actual modelling:
IMG_20230322_123228.jpg.437e13cead8a3afef7b5e172ee220f42.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

There was me assuming that maybe Hornby had not only managed to release something vaguely the right shape, but maybe they'd also managed to paint it the right colour too, the resulting interest from RMWebbers then crashing the site!

Or, the only other possibility being that maybe Accurascale had left an obscure rivet off something and actually made an error.

I know, unbelievable right?

Cheers,

Shed.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Whenever I cant find you I always assume its something my end !  Thanks for explanation 

Whereas I think that if the rest of the internet is working, then it's RMweb! At least it wasn't days like the previous host!