Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0-Gauge, Chapter 2

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Structures and buildings are currently being knocked together from the usual combinations of ply and strip-wood:

I think your ply and stripwood station building is absolutely wonderful Kevin and I'm busy with taking notes here.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad it was only the thread that was closed although there was some good stuff in there including the discussions  about this layout.

Don

• Agree 1

Following this thread, as the other, with eager eyes. 

I ended up getting rid of my ACE and Darstaed stuff - a King Arthur, Schools, some Maunsell coaches, and a Terrier and some LBSCR coaches. I think in retrospect I should have held onto them - but I don't know that I'd ever have anywhere to run them! The only space I have for a large layout is a straight or L-shaped FY to Terminus affair in the garage. Though I'm in the final stages of track-laying and wiring this 'serious' layout I must admit the enthusiasm is flagging a little compared to the simple and direct attraction of tinplate and clockwork...

I'm doing a bit of model engineering on the side with a 5" loco (still in progress) but I'm currently working on a Traction Engine - I wonder if Gauge 1 in the garden is the best option for retro fun.

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Brilliant to see this (& photos) as a long time follower.

It’s given me the kick up the proverbial to get on with the resurrection of my ‘Old Albion’ coarse scale inglenook shunting puzzle but utilising Maldon track & point work for the aesthetics (the Merkur track & points I have are ok but a little harsh even for coarse scale). If I can fit it in there will be a passenger shuttle service running back & forth utilising an auto coach (& potential EMU/GWR railcar pending future purchases). There’s a chance I might be able to make it an ‘L’ shaped affair to increase operational potential. 

Given the lack of current space for a ‘roundy roundy’ to enjoy watching the trains, this will be remedied by loose lay sessions indoors and outdoors which affords the benefits of rapid construction/take down with the aspiration to one day have an indoor set up similar to the authors. 

greg 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Another topic to look forward to reading ,thanks for the updates Kevin ,Looks like I might be getting my Ace stuff out of hibernation and re building the Porthcawl and Nottage ! Those buildings look great cant wait to see them finished ! and Maldon track looks the part !

Glad to see the project is continuing; I look forward to posts on the layout!  One thing the last thread helped me realise is that I'm much more of a 'train set' person than a model railway person; much as I like and respect finescale model-making of detail-packed layouts like Copenhagen Fields or Black Country Blues, I find tinplate trains trundling around very uplifting :)

The station looks great- that woodwork is top-notch, and nice to see traditional methods and craftsmanship being used to for construction.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mervyn said:

Can I ask what make your baseboards are

For the first time in my life I bought baseboards, from White Rose Model Works. I chose them on the basis of quality, which is top-notch, but they aren’t the lightest things around.

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

is the one that’s going to the MK show?

That’s the idea/plan/hope.

Pity you can’t come, because it would be good to see you again.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a good chat with the guys from White Rose model works at a recent exhibition - they had some boards on show and I agree they looked very good.  The guys seemed to know their stuff too.

As for the launch of Chapter 2 - I’m just happy to be here, and looking forwards to the ride.  Hope that’s Ok, Keith.

• Like 3

That is brilliant, thank you!

Time for a quick burst of Rachmaninoff I reckon.

”It seems an eternity since that train went out of the station, taking him away, into the darkness. I was happy then.”

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I watched that again recently, and it always impresses me - it’s a work of really deep understanding, and I wonder whether it’s so ‘spot on’ because Coward understood the nature of love that can never openly be acknowledged.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. What does impress me is the embossed joints between the nosing stones and the bricks - the little brickies must have been strong lads to handle those bricks!

To be more serious the B-L enamelled signs are real gems. However, looking up "Certofix" gives allsorts of catheters first - you need to specify adhesive, then Google waxes lyrical regarding the aroma of the Fish glue from Hull, a relative of Seccotine (but that is from Belfast). This then brought "Pafra" to mind - sometimes recommended for whitemetal kits, with limited success.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 3