Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0-Gauge, Chapter 2

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Structures and buildings are currently being knocked together from the usual combinations of ply and strip-wood:

I think your ply and stripwood station building is absolutely wonderful Kevin and I'm busy with taking notes here.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Glad it was only the thread that was closed although there was some good stuff in there including the discussions  about this layout.

Don

• Agree 1

Following this thread, as the other, with eager eyes. 

I ended up getting rid of my ACE and Darstaed stuff - a King Arthur, Schools, some Maunsell coaches, and a Terrier and some LBSCR coaches. I think in retrospect I should have held onto them - but I don't know that I'd ever have anywhere to run them! The only space I have for a large layout is a straight or L-shaped FY to Terminus affair in the garage. Though I'm in the final stages of track-laying and wiring this 'serious' layout I must admit the enthusiasm is flagging a little compared to the simple and direct attraction of tinplate and clockwork...

I'm doing a bit of model engineering on the side with a 5" loco (still in progress) but I'm currently working on a Traction Engine - I wonder if Gauge 1 in the garden is the best option for retro fun.

Edited by Lacathedrale
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Brilliant to see this (& photos) as a long time follower.

It’s given me the kick up the proverbial to get on with the resurrection of my ‘Old Albion’ coarse scale inglenook shunting puzzle but utilising Maldon track & point work for the aesthetics (the Merkur track & points I have are ok but a little harsh even for coarse scale). If I can fit it in there will be a passenger shuttle service running back & forth utilising an auto coach (& potential EMU/GWR railcar pending future purchases). There’s a chance I might be able to make it an ‘L’ shaped affair to increase operational potential. 

Given the lack of current space for a ‘roundy roundy’ to enjoy watching the trains, this will be remedied by loose lay sessions indoors and outdoors which affords the benefits of rapid construction/take down with the aspiration to one day have an indoor set up similar to the authors. 

greg 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Another topic to look forward to reading ,thanks for the updates Kevin ,Looks like I might be getting my Ace stuff out of hibernation and re building the Porthcawl and Nottage ! Those buildings look great cant wait to see them finished ! and Maldon track looks the part !

Glad to see the project is continuing; I look forward to posts on the layout!  One thing the last thread helped me realise is that I'm much more of a 'train set' person than a model railway person; much as I like and respect finescale model-making of detail-packed layouts like Copenhagen Fields or Black Country Blues, I find tinplate trains trundling around very uplifting :)

The station looks great- that woodwork is top-notch, and nice to see traditional methods and craftsmanship being used to for construction.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mervyn said:

Can I ask what make your baseboards are

For the first time in my life I bought baseboards, from White Rose Model Works. I chose them on the basis of quality, which is top-notch, but they aren’t the lightest things around.

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

is the one that’s going to the MK show?

That’s the idea/plan/hope.

Pity you can’t come, because it would be good to see you again.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I had a good chat with the guys from White Rose model works at a recent exhibition - they had some boards on show and I agree they looked very good.  The guys seemed to know their stuff too.

As for the launch of Chapter 2 - I’m just happy to be here, and looking forwards to the ride.  Hope that’s Ok, Keith.

• Like 3

That is brilliant, thank you!

Time for a quick burst of Rachmaninoff I reckon.

”It seems an eternity since that train went out of the station, taking him away, into the darkness. I was happy then.”

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I watched that again recently, and it always impresses me - it’s a work of really deep understanding, and I wonder whether it’s so ‘spot on’ because Coward understood the nature of love that can never openly be acknowledged.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. What does impress me is the embossed joints between the nosing stones and the bricks - the little brickies must have been strong lads to handle those bricks!

To be more serious the B-L enamelled signs are real gems. However, looking up "Certofix" gives allsorts of catheters first - you need to specify adhesive, then Google waxes lyrical regarding the aroma of the Fish glue from Hull, a relative of Seccotine (but that is from Belfast). This then brought "Pafra" to mind - sometimes recommended for whitemetal kits, with limited success.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 3