Minor Points: Annie's layout projects.

18 hours ago, Annie said:

'Selsey' in its rebuilt form is looking interesting.

Dunno what you mean...

am20_orig.jpg.6aa628dc59be291ca19b64b3efe31c9d.jpg

http://www.ragstonemodels.co.uk/agenoria.html

...I may or may not have sent those very photos to a loco-builder just the other day...y'know...just in case. Great minds! (Although I rather thought shorter side-tanks as rebuilt, but keep the fun original cab - swoopy bunkers are cool!)

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Schooner said:

...I may or may not have sent those very photos to a loco-builder just the other day...y'know...just in case. Great minds! (Although I rather thought shorter side-tanks as rebuilt, but keep the fun original cab - swoopy bunkers are cool!)

Originally designed by Colonel Stephens to be the ideal light railway locomotive, - which 'Selsey' certainly was.  It's a pity in many ways that 'Selsey' didn't end up being the prototype for a whole class of similar engines, - but of course as railway modellers we can say, 'But what if it did.....'

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

With all this stuff, I’m getting baffled with the old 00 track and On16.5 wagons and O locos? What’s intended, have I missed something?

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Northroader said:

With all this stuff, I’m getting baffled with the old 00 track and On16.5 wagons and O locos? What’s intended, have I missed something?

My main interest is to build an On16.5 light railway layout based around the Bishop's Castle trackplan and that is what the old Wrenn 'Universal' points are going to be used for.  I also have a long time interest in coarse scale 'O' gauge so I've also been musing a little about doing something in that direction which is why the late Iain Rice's modified 'Art of Compromise' trackplan has entered the discussion.  If I had more energy and unlimited resources combining both 'O' and On16.5 would be very nice, but I don't so it will be the On16.5 layout first and then I'll see what happens after that.

Having spent money on a On16.5 loco body kit from Smallbrook Studios as well as purchasing the Wrenn points the die is pretty much cast as to the direction I will be taking.  Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I have officially hoarded my first cardboard cereal box of 2023.  I threw out all my cardboard stash around the middle of last year because I thought I'd never be doing any more cardboard modelling.  Next job is to find all my modelling tools.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

River Wear Commissioners No.4.  A Barclay box tank, No.52 of 1866.  Posted purely for interest's sake since Box Tanks have been discussed a bit lately.

WGEIqlt.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the explanation, Annie, this threads been running just over two weeks and got to five pages already, and it’s been hard keeping up. Good luck with your n.g. bits to start with, then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Annie said:

River Wear Commissioners No.4.  A Barclay box tank, No.52 of 1866.  Posted purely for interest's sake since Box Tanks have been discussed a bit lately.

WGEIqlt.jpg

Oh I adore that, I'm going to let my 2000s child show and ask if anyone knows who the river commissioners were?, local form of a modern waterways trust maintaining rivers and artificial waterways and to that end this little engine would have been pottering up and down on temporary track? 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Player of trains said:

Oh I adore that, I'm going to let my 2000s child show and ask if anyone knows who the river commissioners were?, local form of a modern waterways trust maintaining rivers and artificial waterways and to that end this little engine would have been pottering up and down on temporary track? 

"Operating from 1717 to 1972, the River Wear Commissioners (RWC) helped Sunderland become the greatest shipbuilding town in the world. Responsible for the management and improvement of the river, they created its piers, including the landmark Roker Pier, and dredged the river so it could be used by larger ships."

Sunderland Echo

The RWC took over George Hudson's Sunderland Dock Co upon his bankruptcy and disgrace - they also acquired his portrait! - and the Hudson Dock had associated dock railways, so dock railways were part of it and referred to as extensive. Whether there were also lines from time to time associated with any further dredging operations I do not know. It seems, at least from the web, to be a rather under researched system.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, Annie said:

My main interest is to build an On16.5 light railway layout based around the Bishop's Castle trackplan

My Midsomer Brevis layout is based around the Bembridge IoW* trackplan, though I chickened out of the turntable at the end of the platform bit in the first iteration.  I may have another shot at it with the turntable for Mk2...

Cereal boxes?  I recently chucked out a dozen of the things because I wasn't going to use them, likewise a large number of cardboard moving boxes!

* http://disused-stations.org.uk/b/bembridge/index.shtml

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Hroth said:

My Midsomer Brevis layout is based around the Bembridge IoW* trackplan, though I chickened out of the turntable at the end of the platform bit in the first iteration.  I may have another shot at it with the turntable for Mk2...

Cereal boxes?  I recently chucked out a dozen of the things because I wasn't going to use them, likewise a large number of cardboard moving boxes!

While I tend to use mount board (1.5mm think and very workable) for walls and floors of structures, cereal packet card is a great source of thinner card which is often required. I keep them against the day I need them and then either need them just after I've re-cycled the stock pile or when I have mislaid a stash.  

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Bembridge, - interesting.  It would make a very nice subject for a model.

Tsm9k7o.jpg

40 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The cardboard used in cereal boxes is of surprisingly good quality.  Something to do with food safety regulations I expect.  No point in buying posh art grade cardboard when much the same thing gets delivered each week with my daughter's favourite breakfast cereal.  It also means if I make a hash of things due to lack of practice it won't really cost me anything.

The stout box I've got my eye on for an experimental cardboard baseboard project is being guarded by my next door neighbour's cat because it's a favourite sleeping place.  I shall have to pick my moment and strike swiftly to claim it.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, Annie said:

Bembridge, - interesting.  It would make a very nice subject for a model.

Tsm9k7o.jpg

The cardboard used in cereal boxes is of surprisingly good quality.  Something to do with food safety regulations I expect.  No point in buying posh art grade cardboard when much the same thing gets delivered each week with my daughter's favourite breakfast cereal.  It also means if I make a hash of things due to lack of practice it won't really cost me anything.

Naturally appeals to me because of my thing with using TTs to close loops, though the IoWR's were not TTs, in that they did not turn 360 degrees. Rather they were traversers that looked like turntables. I've a fancy they're called 'fan tables', though I may have just made that up.

Anyway, yes, really great station to model. 

43 minutes ago, Annie said:

The stout box I've got my eye on for an experimental cardboard baseboard project is being guarded by my next door neighbour's cat because it's a favourite sleeping place.  I shall have to pick my moment and strike swiftly to claim it.

If you purloined this feline's home by stealth, would that make you a cat burglar?

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, RodneyS said:

Kerry station is supposed to have had a similar arrangement to Bembridge but I've never seen a good photo of the turntable.

It is mentioned in this link and can possibly (?) be made out in the picture of the 0-4-0ST on a mixed train.

Rodney

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k/kerry/index.shtml

The NLS doesn't have a 25 inch to the mile OS map unfortunately, but the turntable is definitely shown as being there on the 1884 6 inch to the mile OS map.  It's a nice enough track layout though and could form the basis of a pleasant model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Went to a photographic exhibition this afternoon and picked up a bundle of skinny coffee stirrers....  🤪

I'm still waiting for the ones that I ordered to be delivered.  Of course I know what's going to happen once they arrive, - the ones that I've misplaced will immediately be found.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

19 minutes ago, Annie said:

I'm still waiting for the ones that I ordered to be delivered.  Of course I know what's going to happen once they arrive, - the ones that I've misplaced will immediately be found.

I know what you mean!

As soon as I saw them in the cafe, I thought....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to a post by Brother Schooner I was informed of the existence of Diagram3D  https://www.diagram3d.com/index.php?route=common/home  and the laser cut kits they make.  I wasn't that impressed with some of their 4mm kits, but their 7mm kits certainly looked useful.  Due to a couple of their 19th century LNWR 4 wheel coaches being updated they had the earlier version on the clearance shelf for cheap so I decided to purchased them.

One is a delightful three compartment tri-composite one of which survived on the Mawddwy Railway until 1900.  A little tri-comp coach like this one would be every impoverished light railway company's dream.

kJqiKQu.jpg

The other is a 4 compt 3rd that's based on a surviving grounded coach body the LNWR society found somewhere.  I would imagine this type of coach would have ended up being sold to minor and light railway companies, - so one ended up being sold to me as well.  😁

Both coaches are in post 1880s condition with continuous footboards.

XRwEzAs.jpg

I'm not that wild about MDF as a material, but it can be classified in moments of abject enthusiasm as being wood, - and with the rest of the detailing bits being laser cut from card the kits very much suit me and the kind of model making that I like.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Mawddwy had some other rather nice carriages too including this one.

Mawddwycarriageno5.jpg.328de86c40a34ca469ca515ada28a18d.jpg

If you like early carriages how about these:PICT0017.JPG.2640b41d64740f719ad60791fa80a2f6.JPG

Built from drawings in a book about the Rhymney Railway, the first carriages the company owned. Note that the only brakes are on the brake van.

Jonathan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

The Mawddwy had some other rather nice carriages too including this one.

Mawddwycarriageno5.jpg.328de86c40a34ca469ca515ada28a18d.jpg

If you like early carriages how about these:PICT0017.JPG.2640b41d64740f719ad60791fa80a2f6.JPG

Built from drawings in a book about the Rhymney Railway, the first carriages the company owned. Note that the only brakes are on the brake van.

Jonathan

Thanks for the photo of the Mawddwy luggage 3rd Jonathon. I'd seen a photo of it before, but not such a nice clear one as the one you've posted just now.  Its simple construction would certainly lend itself to being modelled using stripwood and 1mm ply.

The Rhymney Railway carriages are of interest too and are models that very much appeal to me.  You've made a very nice job of those.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ironhorse Hobbies is about the only adequate source of model railway items here in NZ, - though I must confess to thinking of them as 'The Out of Stock Model Shop' as almost anything I want has a notice with those word on it plastered across the page.  But that being said they did have a free postage offer for Kings Birthday Weekend so I went and had a look about to see if there was anything that they actually stocked that I wanted.

These point levers by Caboose Industries caught my eye so I purchased one for research purposes.  Caboose Industries 218S Sprung Ground Throw with .165" travel for HO and N - with Selectable End Fittings was wot it was described as so I thought it was worth a punt.  I imagine it will work with the Wrenn 'universal' points so I'll see how it works out. 

xSP68XZ.jpg

I also purchased a packet of Peco track pins and a packet of code 100 track joiners.  That little lot cost me $NZ 25.00 so I was glad not to have postage on top of it.  Oh please come back the 1970s all is forgiven, - at least back then I could buy model railway stuff at pocket money prices.

Nearly everything for 'O' gauge was in the 'Out of Stock' section except for a small random selection of Peco 'O' gauge points with eye watering prices attached.  Last week I saw that someone was trying to sell a damaged pair of 'O' gauge Bassett Lowko large radius points for $NZ 500.00 on the TradeMe website.  I've got one that's in good condition, but I doubt very much that I could get that kind of money for it. 

No, - I have pretty much decided that when it comes to 'O' gauge track that I'll either stay with all the 3 rail Marx and Lionel track I've got, - or else hand lay my own if I need something towards the finer end of the coarse scale standards.

2ZPtFUl.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2