Minor Points: Annie's layout projects.

52 minutes ago, Annie said:

I considered 'Bishop's Wood', but the ghostly sound of legions of small schoolboys giggling put me off that choice.

Even better, Bishop's Stump.

Stump crops up as a place name a reasonable amount, and then there is St Botolph's church, Boston, known as the Boston Stump.  One can surely posit a Bishop under whose patronage a church tower of prodigious height was constructed. such that it served as a navigational aid for sailors, earning it the sobriquet, Bishop's Stump. 

image.png.ee54ad9454636afbaaa72939c3a6ab0b.png

EDIT: I suggest we should be grateful that the eminence known as Bishop Knob is safely far away in the Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia.

Take me home, country road.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Even better, Bishop's Stump.

I did consider Jim's 'Bishopton', but 'Bishop's Stump' might have just won the prize.  Thanks for that James.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My order from Ironhorse Hobbies arrived in a tiny package and it would have to be the most useless lot of overpriced tatt I've ever seen.  😒

In better news I've ordered a Tamiya Razor Saw (with spare blade) and one of their Handy Craft Saws.  I've owned something like their craft saw handle and blades before, but the Tamiya razor saw is new to me.  I couldn't find the one that I used to prefer using on sale anywhere and all of the others I saw looked too flimsy to me.  The Tamiya one had good reviews and it looks like a proper piece of kit to me so I should be able to do some good work with that.

i6X1PjL.jpg

hzC5Bhd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Hawkhurst station in October 1947.  Photo by H. B. Priestley via Disused Stations website.

I must confess to liking this style of station building and since I've just found a large amount of special corrugated art cardboard I'd hoarded away plainly with the intention of building model buildings I'm now going, 'Hmmmm.......'

UMYNTfd.jpg

Hawkhurst mid 1950s.  J.L. Smith photo.

QIQbi4C.jpg

Hawkhurst early 20th Century.  Lens of Sutton photo.

suIxU1f.jpg

Edited by Annie
more pictures
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

You don't think Hawkhurst is a bit posh?

Seriously, a very nice prototype for your kind of line.

Jonathan

A certain Mr Stephens before he became a colonel was the engineer on the line so it does have a light railway connection of a kind Jonathon.  The station building at Hawkhurst is larger than I would want, but my main interest is to do with the materials used and the general style of the building.  If you could imagine Thaxted station done in corrugated iron that would be about the size of it.  Should do very nicely for the Bishop's Stump Light Railway.

Edited by Annie
More words needed.
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

No 'Episcopis' in Scotland, but plenty Kirks! 😁

Jim 

Any stumps?

1 hour ago, Annie said:

Hawkhurst station in October 1947.  Photo by H. B. Priestley via Disused Stations website.

I must confess to liking this style of station building and since I've just found a large amount of special corrugated art cardboard I'd hoarded away plainly with the intention of building model buildings I'm now going, 'Hmmmm.......'

UMYNTfd.jpg

Hawkhurst mid 1950s.  J.L. Smith photo.

QIQbi4C.jpg

Hawkhurst early 20th Century.  Lens of Sutton photo.

suIxU1f.jpg

Classic Light Railway, notwithstanding the line was (a) built before the Act and (b) operated by a mainline company!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Annie said:

Hawkhurst station

Verrr nice!

...with a couple of intruiging wrinkles

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.6&lat=51.06344&lon=0.50532&layers=168&b=1

(On phone, no embedding, sorry)

Is the independent access off the running line a sign that it is a bay platform, not a loading dock? It certainly looks that way by the '50s...?

Any idea what the cheeky little kickback is about? Looks to be a way to eke out a little extra useful siding length from the topography...?

A glorious bit of inspiration, ta :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Verrr nice!

...with a couple of intruiging wrinkles

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.6&lat=51.06344&lon=0.50532&layers=168&b=1

(On phone, no embedding, sorry)

When I had a peek at the OS map I had a very much tempted moment since Hawkhurst has a lot going for it as a BLT.

But then I can't go about getting my head turned at every little country BLT that winks at me or else I'll never get anything done.

A photo taken some time after the line was closed shows a small cattle dock on the short stub of platform next to the bay platform.  And I would say that the bay platform is intended for passenger use even if it sometimes gets used for cattle van loading and end loading vehicles/traction engines/etc along with parcels and such.

I wouldn't have  clue what that extra kickback is for, but it does look useful.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Schooner said:

In other O16.5 news (or not as the case may be)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/manninmodels/Isle-of-Man-7mm-scale/_i.html?store_cat=34425725014

I'd previously been eyeing up (and have shared in this parish, I think) their O gauge LSWR 4-wheeler set, but I just remember the bulk of their range may be of interest here

Also available outside of ebay here: https://www.didcotdesignandprototyping.com/shop-3

The postage to NZ using ebay's 'Global Shipping Programme' tends to be far more expensive than it should be.

That said though they certainly have some fine looking models that are very tempting.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I always thought one of the joys of 3D printing is a smile and a gentle word (+ cash, sadly but inevitably) could secure the file for local printing... :)

In totally unrelated news, spending the weekend with some of my kinsmen and your countrymen. Getting my ear back in with the official primer:

😇

Edited by Schooner
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Schooner said:

I always thought one of the joys of 3D printing is a smile and a gentle word (+ cash, sadly but inevitably) could secure the file for local printing... :)

Apart from obtaining the file the difficulty here is finding someone with the right 3D printing set up who can do a decent job of printing it at an affordable price.

43 minutes ago, Schooner said:

In totally unrelated news, spending the weekend with some of my kinsmen and your countrymen. Getting my ear back in with the official primer:

That was very strange.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Annie said:

When I had a peek at the OS map I had a very much tempted moment since Hawkhurst has a lot going for it as a BLT.

But then I can't go about getting my head turned at every little country BLT that winks at me or else I'll never get anything done.

A photo taken some time after the line was closed shows a small cattle dock on the short stub of platform next to the bay platform.  And I would say that the bay platform is intended for passenger use even if it sometimes gets used for cattle van loading and end loading vehicles/traction engines/etc along with parcels and such.

I wouldn't have  clue what that extra kickback is for, but it does look useful.

Hawkhurst was always very busy during hop-picking season.

5 hours ago, Annie said:

The postage to NZ using ebay's 'Global Shipping Programme' tends to be far more expensive than it should be.

You are too polite. I consider that the GSP is extortionate, in the true sense of the word.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Hawkhurst was always very busy during hop-picking season.

Information filed away for future reference.

7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You are too polite. I consider that the GSP is extortionate, in the true sense of the word.

I was being polite, - perhaps excessively so.  Ebay's GSP is utter daylight robbery and the major reason why I won't buy anything on ebay anymore.

The worst example I've struck was when some vapid trendy twit was selling genuine railway company technical drawings as wall art without any clear understanding of what they had since they'd got them from a deceased estate auction.  There was a pair of drawings I wanted, but ebay's GSP was set at almost £95.00.  Eventually I was able to get a lower postage price by negotiating with the vendor, but it still ended up being far too expensive.  After that I refused to buy anything more from ebay.

Just recently I purchased an 'O' gauge kit from a UK vendor and the postage was £4.00.  On ebay the going rate for postage seemed to be around £17.00.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

My 'Hero' kitset has arrived from Smallbrook Studio and I have to say I'm impressed.  The polyurethane resin castings are finely moulded, smooth and clean without any flaws or blemishes which is definitely a good thing and is very pleasing.  After comparing prices for 3D printed models with Smallbrook's prices I'm seriously considering staying with what Smallbrook has to offer.

I must mention as well that the instruction sheet included with the kit is very good with everything explained clearly as to how the kit should be assembled.

1657602952.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Oops!

When I purchased the 'Hero' kit I asked, 'Does this fit a 'Smokey Joe' chassis because I've got one of those?'

I was told it did, - so I though all was well in the land.  However I forgot that my old and ancient model railway hoard was just that, - old.  My chassis was one of the early diecast ones with a footplate attached.

Vp50GUo.jpg

HNaoU8N.jpg

What is required is one of these.

cp2ti61.jpg

Checking on our local on-line auction site I saw a good many Hornby 0-4-0 powered objects and I must admit it's endlessly amusing to see what Hornby has done with that poor little experimental GWR tank engine.  But all the ones for sale must've had a gold content going by the prices folk are wanting for them.

I had another dig about in ye ancient model railway pile and found a pair of American 'Mantua' brand 0-4-0 chassis complete with really nice 5 pole motors.  I have no idea where I got these from, but I was very pleased to see them.  The wheels are of course RP-25 standard and are very fine, but that's why I got those Wrenn 'universal' points so I wouldn't have to worry about wheel standards.  The wheels are 11 spoke and measure out to 2ft 2in or so in 7mm scale so they will do.  Wheelbase is 3ft 6in in 7mm scale so I think 'Hero' might just end up with a trailing pony wheel.  I don't think I'm skilled enough these days to start cutting about two 0-4-0 chassis to make an 0-6-0.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I think its highly possible to carefully detach the cast footplate to reveal the basic 0-4-0 chassis lurking below.

A bit of careful levering with screwdrivers might do the trick!

This article seems to show that it should be possible

https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016347640-R782-0-4-0-Smokey-Joe

though I don't think you'd be considering DCC...

Edited by Hroth
link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I think its highly possible to carefully detach the cast footplate to reveal the basic 0-4-0 chassis lurking below.

A bit of careful levering with screwdrivers might do the trick!

This article seems to show that it should be possible

https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016347640-R782-0-4-0-Smokey-Joe

though I don't think you'd be considering DCC...

Got it! - Thanks very much for your help.  It's one of the old series with Made in Great Britain on the underneath and it was such a tight fit into the footplate that I thought it was a one piece casting.  😲

Oh well the two Mantua chassis can go back into their box and no doubt I'll figure out something to do with them eventually.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Annie said:

Got it! - Thanks very much for your help.  It's one of the old series with Made in Great Britain on the underneath and it was such a tight fit into the footplate that I thought it was a one piece casting.  😲

If I'm not mistaken (and so often I am) the die-cast footplate and bits and bobs are (and always have been) part of the saddle tank (the Caledonian  pug). Those two pillars at the front of the cab poke up through holes in the plastic moulding - their rough knobbly tops are the coal in the bunkers.

And as you've found, underneath it's always the same chassis.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2023 at 16:46, Annie said:

In better news I've ordered a Tamiya Razor Saw (with spare blade) and one of their Handy Craft Saws.  I've owned something like their craft saw handle and blades before, but the Tamiya razor saw is new to me.  I couldn't find the one that I used to prefer using on sale anywhere and all of the others I saw looked too flimsy to me.  The Tamiya one had good reviews and it looks like a proper piece of kit to me so I should be able to do some good work with that.

i6X1PjL.jpg

My Tamiya razor saw has arrived and what a thing of beauty it is.  I love good hand tools and this saw is absolutely perfect.  When I was still able to make things and maintain a proper workshop I would often prefer it to be a silent workshop with all the power tools put away and only hand tools in use.  True enough I had my lathe and drill press & all the usual noise makers, but if it wasn't essential to use them I wouldn't.

The small craft saw is nice as well and it's going to be very useful, but the arrival of my new razor saw has been a maxima cheer up for me this afternoon

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1