Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Level Crossing Collision on NYMR

Aire Head

Just after 14:00 a train and a car have collided at the Yatts Road level crossing at Newbridge. Reports are the driver has sustained serious injuries with no reports of any other injuries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-65665628?at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_format=link&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_id=AAFAC0CE-F7E3-11ED-BB4B-42AEECABB293&at_link_type=web_link&at_medium=social&at_link_origin=BBC_Yorkshire

Edited by AY Mod
Facebook link replaced with BBC link - fewer idiots
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Obviously I cannot make any comments on this incident.

But in general terms, I have read that gated crossings are thought to be dangerous.

How can that be when the gates must be securely bolted before signals can be cleared? Apart from a car crashing through the gates, how can an accident occur at a gated crossing?

Ian

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

A spokesperson for NYMR said: “We can confirm that there was a collision at around 2pm on Sunday 21st May.

“A moving vehicle struck a generator wagon on the rear of the train at a Power Operated Gate Opener (POGO crossing) at Newbridge. 

“The driver of the moving vehicle has been taken to hospital. No NYMR passengers or crew injuries have been reported. 

“The police and emergency services are in attendance and the heritage railway is doing everything it can to fully cooperate, taking every precaution to ensure the safety of both staff and passengers, which is always our priority.”

The spokesperson couldn’t confirm whether it was a steam railway service affected. According to the roster the train was due to be a diner service pulled by steam locomotive 5428 ‘Eric Treacy’, dating from 1937.

The collision has been reported to the Rail Accident Investigation Board which is investigating.

• Informative/Useful 7

This crossing is about 80 yards south of the crossing at New Bridge

So, the train has been heading into Pickering and after exchanging the token with the signaller at New Bridge can't have been doing more than 10-15 mph, you can clearly see trains approaching from that crossing, although it does have a history of abuse.

I don't like the NYMR giving details of the collision though, that could prejudice the subsequent investigation that statement should just have stated a vehicle was in collision with a train and leave it at that.

Well, at least the RAIB are very familiar with the set-up at the NYMR these days.

Edited by Boris
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

I did think it may not have been the crossing in the various news articles as it's a POGO.

Assuming the motor vehicle did strike the rear vehicle in the train then I don't think there will be any issues with the investigation.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought POGO crossings were an elaborate type of occupation crossing, with user-operated gates which open away from the railway, rather than something found on a public road with gates that close across the line. I don't know the area, but could the mention of Yatts Road be a mistake?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

I thought POGO crossings were an elaborate type of occupation crossing, with user-operated gates which open away from the railway, rather than something found on a public road with gates that close across the line. I don't know the area, but could the mention of Yatts Road be a mistake?

They are, these were the prototype installation.  The UWC in question is about 80 yards south of the main level crossing, although there is some debate over the name of the road that uses the crossing, some call it Yatts Road, some call it Church Row.  It's basically the continuation of the original main road before the railway had it moved to the current position in the 19th century

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

Reads like one of those shouldn’t happen but you can see why due to an error on the road it did accidents*. A similar one in Glasgow today with a bus having the roof ripped off. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-65665113  

*my thoughts deliberately not stated as it will possibly end up in a court.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

If it is then it looks like an access to housing? I've no idea how that works.

P

Yes, that's the one. It's an occupation crossing on a private road giving access to the former railwaymen's (or quarrymen's?) cottages, a few yards south of New Bridge level crossing which is wheel operated. The gates are manual but power assisted, not unlike disabled access doors.

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

You might as well put a picture up:

image.png.8e7d901116569a08d9fa1652ba463ecf.png

Rail Advent had the correct details right from the start, before the normal hacks got their hands on it.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MarkC said:

I was on board this service - the 1230 Moorlander dining service ex Grosmont, hauled by 5428 Eric Treacy. Yes, it was the crossing just south of the one by New Bridge 'box, so not the one shown in our wonderful (sic) mainstream media. We had just passed New Bridge on our way into Pickering, when the brakes suddenly came on hard, and we stopped very abruptly. I said to my wife "that felt like an emergency stop. Has someone pulled the communication cord?"  Fortunately, our wine wasn't spilled... Anyway, a couple of minutes later an air ambulance landed nearby. We were told that there had been an incident, but no other details were known. Looking back, I could now see both railway staff and police officers inspecting the track & train. We now heard that a car had hit the train, and the driver was in hospital with serious injuries.

After about 2 hours, we were allowed to run into Pickering, run round & set off back. We could see the car, hard up against a post & with airbags deployed. On arrival at Grosmont, I looked at the vehicle that was now at the front -  a NPCS 4 wheel van with a genset in it for powering the dining train on-board services. The only damage to be seen was one footstep,which was bent up & back. Probably no more than a couple of hours' work to sort it out. The emergency stop had been initiated by the guard, who heard a bang & immediately reacted by operating his emergency brake. I cannot praise the NYMR staff involved highly enough - total professionalism by all involved.

Mark

11 hours ago, MarkC said:

I was on board this service - the 1230 Moorlander dining service ex Grosmont, hauled by 5428 Eric Treacy. Yes, it was the crossing just south of the one by New Bridge 'box, so not the one shown in our wonderful (sic) mainstream media. We had just passed New Bridge on our way into Pickering, when the brakes suddenly came on hard, and we stopped very abruptly. I said to my wife "that felt like an emergency stop. Has someone pulled the communication cord?"  Fortunately, our wine wasn't spilled... Anyway, a couple of minutes later an air ambulance landed nearby. We were told that there had been an incident, but no other details were known. Looking back, I could now see both railway staff and police officers inspecting the track & train. We now heard that a car had hit the train, and the driver was in hospital with serious injuries.

After about 2 hours, we were allowed to run into Pickering, run round & set off back. We could see the car, hard up against a post & with airbags deployed. On arrival at Grosmont, I looked at the vehicle that was now at the front -  a NPCS 4 wheel van with a genset in it for powering the dining train on-board services. The only damage to be seen was one footstep,which was bent up & back. Probably no more than a couple of hours' work to sort it out. The emergency stop had been initiated by the guard, who heard a bang & immediately reacted by operating his emergency brake. I cannot praise the NYMR staff involved highly enough - total professionalism by all involved.

Mark

...and coming from you with your experience in your work, that is praise indeed and could be of huge use to the investigation.

Glad your Wine was OK. Chilled or Coach Temperature?

ATB

Phil

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Statement from the NYMR. It appears that the car driver went through the gate and hit the side of the horsebox, i.e. after most of the train had already passed.

Why would a horsebox be on the rear of the diner train... was horse meat on the menu?

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

Why would a horsebox be on the rear of the diner train... was horse meat on the menu?

If you were paying attention you would know that it was carrying a generator to provide power for the dining car.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The reason for the tail load could be anything (running in, stock move, cosmetic, supplying utilities).

It could easily have bee a passenger coach that received the bent step.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, SHMD said:

The reason for the tail load could be anything (running in, stock move, cosmetic, supplying utilities).

It's this, acquired last year from Llangollen and now in maroon. Electricity supply for the diner set was previously provided by a genset mounted in a Pipefit, which was not especially photogenic. http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2194

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

It's this, acquired last year from Llangollen and now in maroon. Electricity supply for the diner set was previously provided by a genset mounted in a Pipefit, which was not especially photogenic. http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=2194

External finish "Good"...based on those photos, I wonder what "bad" looks like!

40 minutes ago, Titan said:

If you were paying attention you would know that it was carrying a generator to provide power for the dining car.

My bad, when I read in the quoted post it was a horsebox I thought he meant it was a horsebox.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

External finish "Good"...based on those photos, I wonder what "bad" looks like!

This is how it looks now, after a winter overhaul at Pickering. (Photo copyright the NYMR C&W FB page.) image.png.310c306a0b002d1b280003585b0270d0.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1