Siphon spotting

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darryl Tooley said:

There was an article by Steve Banks in the January 2004 issue of Model Rail entitled 'Rabbits to Sheffield' which mentioned the use of of siphons on the LNER on that traffic, which might perhaps be germane.  

Now that's interesting. Presumably in LNER day the route would have been via Banbury and Woodford Halse. But that route wasn't available in c. 1900 - the date of my photo - so Great Western rabbits by Midland would perforce be the only option. Possible points of exchange would be Bristol or Worcester, I think.  

• Like 3

In the 1930's rabbit traffic was usually an old Dean 40ft van ex K14/5, with an allocated van on the Kingsbridge run. Rabbits were despatched from all over the west country, some places just a few hampers, through to a complete van.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/05/2023 at 12:36, Compound2632 said:

From my limited knowledge of such things, I believe this is a diagram O1 6-wheel Siphon, with arc roof.

That's my inclination as well. It's too long to be a 4-wheeler.

Edit:  the 6-wheeler with an arc roof is an O2. (I always get O1 and O2 mixed up!)

Edited by Miss Prism
wrong diagram
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2023 at 18:08, Not Jeremy said:

All of David's corrections (and very much more information besides) is all included in to the new edition of Jack's book written by John Lewis.

It is in the final stages of editing and will be published this year by Wild Swan Books.

It is very pictorial and illustrates well the detail differences between the successive diagrams from the beginning to the end.

Simon

Hi Simon, is there a date for release of this book? I had a look on the Wild Swan site but couldn't see it listed yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/09/2023 at 22:15, 57xx said:

Hi Simon, is there a date for release of this book? I had a look on the Wild Swan site but couldn't see it listed yet.

Hi Ric

the  final proof has been circulated and we are just about to put the resulting revisions into the text. They are very minor. I have a price for the printing and expect to get the book out in time for the Warley NEC show.

Apologies for what by now feels like a delay, various other things happened this year(!)

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1