Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

It wasn't just Triang that took liberties with liveries...Life-Like 'British Rail' F7

andyman7

I remember seeing one of these back in the 70s when anything in BR Blue stood out amongst the plethora of GWR, LMS and LNER models. However, Life-Like's attempt to penetrate the British market was arguably even more downmarket than early Lima, involving a very pale 'blue' with yellow ends livery applied to a General Motors F7 Bo-Bo complete with BR logo.

I've had half a mind to try and find one without actually wanting to spend any money so getting one as a part of an auction job lot of junk odds and ends fitted the bill. The 'number' is recognisable as a headcode - presumably the research involved a cursory glance at a Deltic. Note that the inner end is also faithfully finished in yellow as with one's eyes shut that could pass as another cab end. Now safely installed in my chamber of horrors!

PXL_20230530_215353294.jpg

PXL_20230530_215407536.jpg

PXL_20230530_215418092.jpg

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

That loco number, goes along with typical US practice of having the loco number in the illuminated headcode box, so not that a great surprise that someone thought it was a loco number.

The poor thing gives the impression that a left over batch of locos, was given to the production line ladies, along with a photo of a Deltic - the nose does look rather similar.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have one of those! She came from a boot sale at a Grifone-friendly price  (Newton Abbot and £5 IIRC - it was something like 20 years ago!) was ear-marked for a repaint into SP 'Black Widow' livery, but way down the priority list, as I have several other F7As and the almost identical (externally anyway) F9As.

I also have one of the Lima U.S.A.  Alco 0-4-0T 'starter' locos in BR livery as 41312.  I don't think there are any real 0-4-0Ts like this but I have seen a photo (once and I've never found it again) of a similar 0-6-0T.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 3

Rather forlorn thing isn't it, always thought it would make a fun what if for if British rail was allowed to approach American builders at least for pointers during the modernisation scheme. (pretty sure it was a policy of buy British even if most builders hadn't the knowhow) Although by the 50s and 60s would have been cut down GPs and SD types I think

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Player of trains said:

Rather forlorn thing isn't it, always thought it would make a fun what if for if British rail was allowed to approach American builders at least for pointers during the modernisation scheme. (pretty sure it was a policy of buy British even if most builders hadn't the knowhow) Although by the 50s and 60s would have been cut down GPs and SD types I think

I think if we had had EMD locos back then they may have been slightly smaller versions of those mohabs probably with discs or headcodes 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Lone Star also did an EMD in 'sort of' BR green when they did their later 9mm gauge pushalong Treble-0-trains for Woolworths.

Weird that they number it as a baby Deltic when they had previously done a passable baby Deltic 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kevinlms said:

That loco number, goes along with typical US practice of having the loco number in the illuminated headcode box, so not that a great surprise that someone thought it was a loco number.

The poor thing gives the impression that a left over batch of locos, was given to the production line ladies, along with a photo of a Deltic - the nose does look rather similar.

And there's something rather 'Hymek' about the yellow application too.....

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, russ p said:

I think if we had had EMD locos back then they may have been slightly smaller versions of those mohabs probably with discs or headcodes 

Either that or something like the exported EMD GL8s CiE purchased becoming their 121 class, have always wanted to paint one of the Murphy's Models ones in BR Blue but the gag doesn't justify the cost, so kitbashing an SD40 for the fun of it instead...

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Player of trains said:

Either that or something like the exported EMD GL8s CiE purchased becoming their 121 class, have always wanted to paint one of the Murphy's Models ones in BR Blue but the gag doesn't justify the cost, so kitbashing an SD40 for the fun of it instead...

Or perhaps like these - maybe a different body?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Railways_B_class_(diesel)

• Like 2

On 31/05/2023 at 05:39, Moxy said:

They also did a caboose in the same insipid 'BR' blue.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/unusual-lifelike-caboose-factory-244956900

Didn't have an F7, but I did have one of these cabooses in my American modelling days.  I may still have it somewhere.

Well blow me down having been reminded of that I thought I'd try and hunt one down. Guess what, someone on ebay has been trying to flog one for weeks and must have thought Christmas had come as I've now wasted spent £12 including postage to acquire. This kind of thing only serves to encourage the 'ebay madness' thread. I note the caboose has Triang type couplings fitted - presumably in retaliation for those Triang Transcontinental rolling stock items foisted on the US market in ATT boxes with NMRA couplers.

Caboose.jpg

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/06/2023 at 18:40, BernardTPM said:

It would be a monumental redesign given the loading gauge difference as shown here.

Thanks for that link, I haven't followed that Thread so missed that diagram - it's a great comparison!!

For years there was a distinct contrast and/or irony about the manufacturer name "Life Like", and the appearance of their models..... 🙄😆

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Thanks for that link, I haven't followed that Thread so missed that diagram - it's a great comparison!!

For years there was a distinct contrast and/or irony about the manufacturer name "Life Like", and the appearance of their models..... 🙄😆

It's alive! Aaaagh!

Frankenstein's_monster_(Boris_Karloff).jpg

On 05/06/2023 at 20:41, andyman7 said:

Well blow me down having been reminded of that I thought I'd try and hunt one down. Guess what, someone on ebay has been trying to flog one for weeks and must have thought Christmas had come as I've now wasted spent £12 including postage to acquire. This kind of thing only serves to encourage the 'ebay madness' thread. I note the caboose has Triang type couplings fitted - presumably in retaliation for those Triang Transcontinental rolling stock items foisted on the US market in ATT boxes with NMRA couplers.

Caboose.jpg

That price label brings back memories, Everybody's Hobbies, Ipswich. Originally in St. Nicholas St, they later moved to Great Colman St.

• Like 2