Kingswear track layout

• Moderators

Check the National Library of Scotland's map archives on their website for the OS maps for the era you are interested in. Large scale maps can give quite a bit of info.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Post 1928 Kingswear was a big station and does not compress sensibly especially the platform access to the carriage sidings and turntable.  It had a lot of dockside sidings and a lot of inwards coal traffic for Torquay Gasworks. 

I am surprised that there are no track plans.  I am fairly sure there are signal box diagrams and copious photos.

The track layout changed over the years, the NLS maps will probably be the  WW1 era to  mid twenties with short platforms and access from both platforms to the loco sheds possibly with the 1905  55 ft Turntable and limited carriage sidings before the final expansion  built on land reclaimed from Waterhead Creek and double track laid over the Waterhead Creek Viaduct.  By 1928 the platforms were much lengthened, access to the turntable was from the back platform only and a 65ft Turntable installed to suit King class. Currently the track plan has been slimmed dramatically the quayside tracks removed and much realignment has taken place in the post 1970s preservation era  I borrowed a book from the local library, the Newton Abbott to Kingswear Railway 1844-1988  by C.R.Potts  which has a lot of detail but lacks track plans.   EDIT I bought a copy today.

The pre 1905 track plan would make an excellent light railway terminus, being on a curve and fairly short and fat. Equally it would make a great correct to prototype model in the 1892-1905 immediate post broad gauge era, if you fancy scratch building almost everything

Edited by DCB
  • Like 2

Also - see R A Cooke Track Plans - section 14 South Devon - if you could find on the second hand market. I think Foxline - Newton Abbot and Torquay might have a plan. There are a number of models of Kingswear - appreciate these may have compromises on the track plan - see for example layouts section of gwr.org.uk (sadly no updates since 2022)

• Like 1