Conrad Austerity 2-8-0 on Jouef chassis

locomad2

Picked up this rough looking white metal 2-8-0 kit from a toy fair recently I believe it might be a Conrad kit from 70's, its on  a Jouef 2-8-0 chassis, tender driven can anyone confirm this ?

20230703_020428.jpg.d21e68f0d601e21448afdbd65f24302a.jpg

its well built, looks the part, and performs very well, there are no pick ups on the loco chassis the whole tender mechanism is self contained. The tender chassis has two bo-bo type bogies one been driven, hence cope with quite tight curves

Unfortunately i ripped off the white metal chassis to tender coupling trying to pull 40 HD wagons backwards

• Like 2

On 03/07/2023 at 18:59, Steamport Southport said:

Might be. Never seen one so can't really comment on how good they are.

However it's Cornard rather than Conrad. ISTR they ended up as part of the McGowan range.

Jason

Your right its a Cornard kit made by a firm in Notts, did they make any other white metal kits ?

Trader i purchased it from told us it he though it was a "Conrad" but it came without a box.

The tender drive works quite well, smooth motor no grinding noise like the Hornby versions in late 80's &  90's.

Definitely a Cornard one.  A couple of Wakefield clubmates had them BITD ('70's) and they performed well for that era.  I do however have a nagging suspicion that they might be a tad underscale?  Or is it that they use an HO chassis and I'm getting confused (as usual....)

On 07/07/2023 at 11:44, 5050 said:

Definitely a Cornard one.  A couple of Wakefield clubmates had them BITD ('70's) and they performed well for that era.  I do however have a nagging suspicion that they might be a tad underscale?  Or is it that they use an HO chassis and I'm getting confused (as usual....)

That's right. No idea how accurate they were scale wise. But ISTR that using the Jouef HO 2-8-2 chassis (with the rear wheels removed) the wheels were about the correct size for OO gauge.

Superseded by the DJH kit in the early 1980s.

They do come up quite frequently on eBay. I suppose that getting the Jouef chassis for a reasonable price is the difficult part. You may as well just buy a Bachmann version unless you are looking for a challenge.

Jason