3mm/14.2 Dead rail class 24 build, chassis complete now onto the 29, 37 amongst others.

Red Devil

Hi

Good idea for the bogie but will it have enough traction with only one axle being driven on the loco. do they do similar motors with double ended shafts. I'm  a great believer in jigs for things I often get completely sidetracked making jigs to help build stuff and never finish the original builds. this is a jig I built to experiment with building wagon chassis using society W irons.

DSCF7864.jpg.ffb4f2e5736598debdb78cbbc66ccbe9.jpgDSCF7862.jpg.10db85c6365a6729107446c1aeb486cc.jpg

Regards Simon

Edited by Heacham
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

40 minutes ago, Heacham said:

Hi

Good idea for the bogie but will it have enough traction with only one axle being driven on the loco. do they do similar motors with double ended shafts. I'm  a great believer in jigs for things I often get completely sidetracked making jigs to help build stuff and never finish the original builds. this is a jig I built to experiment with building wagon chassis using society W irons.

DSCF7864.jpg.ffb4f2e5736598debdb78cbbc66ccbe9.jpgDSCF7862.jpg.10db85c6365a6729107446c1aeb486cc.jpg

Regards Simon

DSCF7862.jpg.10db85c6365a6729107446c1aeb486cc.jpgDSCF7864.jpg.ffb4f2e5736598debdb78cbbc66ccbe9.jpg

Brill idea 💡 

• Agree 1

So we have brass tube.......

It's slightly larger than the motor but fortuitously when soldered to the brass section of the chassis gives a perfect mesh.....why isn't everything this simple!!

Currently sleeved into position with a couple of shims of 5 thou evergreen plasticard but I'll try some heatshrink tubing for a finished job.

Overall I'm now vey happy with the 'how to' and I'm set up to knock these out very easily.

I was toying with the idea of knocking up a class 40 bogie using a 1020 Tramfabriek double ended motor in a 1-A-1-1 model config. I have the motors, gears etc but may put that on hold until I hopefully have a bogie frame to play with. But all the Derby type 2s I want to build are going to be plain sailing now. 

If I ultimately decide on all axle power I'm pretty certain that the shorter Tramfabriek motor with a double shaft will just about fit, all it'd need is another gear slot cutting in the chassis plate......dead simple.

Quick test video and pic of bogie....

406526600_328931273259052_2722464881058915371_n.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

4 hours ago, Heacham said:

Hi

Good idea for the bogie but will it have enough traction with only one axle being driven on the loco. do they do similar motors with double ended shafts. 

Note to self.....read replies before posting!.....I'd semi answered your question without even seeing it ...but....

Answer to that is 'dunno'!  In reality I'll only ever want them to pull a few wagons or a couple of coaches, so will try the two axle over two bogie drive and see, if not I'll open the other axle out to take a gear and fit the shorter Tramfabriek double ended 10mm motor.

Patently living in Yorkshire has rubbed off and the current way saves me about £16 a bogie..... I'm not tight but if I can get the result I want without spending another £32 per loco I will......Someone has to have a bash and find out..... 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Devil said:

So we have brass tube.......

It's slightly larger than the motor but fortuitously when soldered to the brass section of the chassis gives a perfect mesh.....why isn't everything this simple!!

Currently sleeved into position with a couple of shims of 5 thou evergreen plasticard but I'll try some heatshrink tubing for a finished job.

Overall I'm now vey happy with the 'how to' and I'm set up to knock these out very easily.

I was toying with the idea of knocking up a class 40 bogie using a 1020 Tramfabriek double ended motor in a 1-A-1-1 model config. I have the motors, gears etc but may put that on hold until I hopefully have a bogie frame to play with. But all the Derby type 2s I want to build are going to be plain sailing now. 

If I ultimately decide on all axle power I'm pretty certain that the shorter Tramfabriek motor with a double shaft will just about fit, all it'd need is another gear slot cutting in the chassis plate......dead simple.

Quick test video and pic of bogie....

406526600_328931273259052_2722464881058915371_n.jpg

Very neat.. I know what you say about moving to Yorkshire🤪 I moved over border 30 years ago but seems like last week.

When mounting on underframe are you putting powered end towards fuel/battery box area as like prototype under power front wheel / leading gets less traction under power bogies lift at front hence class60s have slightly differential power to each wheel...(and under slipping front wheel allowed to creep sightly faster to condition rail to alow better traction for other 5 axles).

Very tempted to use your solution for 14.2mm. 

Keep updates coming 

G

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Very neat.. I know what you say about moving to Yorkshire🤪 I moved over border 30 years ago but seems like last week.

When mounting on underframe are you putting powered end towards fuel/battery box area as like prototype under power front wheel / leading gets less traction under power bogies lift at front hence class60s have slightly differential power to each wheel...(and under slipping front wheel allowed to creep sightly faster to condition rail to alow better traction for other 5 axles).

Very tempted to use your solution for 14.2mm. 

Keep updates coming 

G

Didn't know that..... will try that and drive on inner axle. I've just found some bargain 400mah batteries that going off previous trials should give up to 6 hours running....and they're dead cheap, the longer I live on the wrong side of the Pennines the deeper my pockets get...... 😉

• Friendly/supportive 1

.....and then there was four.....

Well sort of, two still need the gear wheel slot cutting out but they're pretty much there now.

Gear mesh has been pretty much perfected, by shimming up the bottom of the motor by 10 thou, that also gives a nice snug fit for it in the brass sleeve 

I've worked out how the bogies will be attached to the side frames and also some more bits and pieces so hopefully coming together, the second set will be for a 25 which is expected sometime after Christmas and I'm also thinking about a 29....

Still contemplating that class 40 bogie though....😄

IMG_20231220_180834.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

A very quick test video of one of the new bogies with side frame friction fitted....lashed up with a 100mah lipo and receiver.

Overall and it has zero running time I'm reasonably happy with it, gears obviously need to bed in a touch but slow speed etc is as good as earlier version, so happy with build concept. Just a quick edit to add that on a crawl it took 7mins 11secs to cover 18inch of track.....not videoing that as it really wouldn't be interesting.

Whilst they're not intended to run silly fast I think I'll probably add a voltage up converter in the circuit to give a little more top end if ever required.

Class 29 body shell ordered.....need to build some more bogies!

Edited by Red Devil
add more text.
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

4 minutes ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Very impressive work, can't wait to see it all run as the 24. Side frames look good on your own engineered power bogie / mechanism. All looks very sweet running to me, so a result.

Cheers

TT

Next job is to start messing with the fuel tank battery box print, I need to fit the on/off switch and charge port in there then start building up and out from that, I'll fit a fair bit of lead in there and just above then battery and rc gear above that in between bogies....pretty much sussed it all out how it's going to go together.....First one is always the 'working it out' after that it becomes very easy....he says!

• Informative/Useful 1

Well the building up and out from the fuel tanks is well under way, the print was filled with lead bar a slot for the on/off switch and charge port, charge port is a 3mmx4mm mini JST socket.

From that sections of evergreen strip were formed to a box that fits nicely into body print, then brass bar added as that gives my a point to file to for wheel clearance....one end only done as yet, and packs body side out after taper from cab 

There's enough room and clearance for at least a half cab and bulkhead, pivot points in next.

Also shown is 400mah lipo battery that should give anything up to 6 hours running going off the single motored 200mah battery railbus. These were a sub £3 purchase off eBay so a bargain!

Body fix will be by screws at ends I think

More lead to be added then rest of above and I should be somewhere near for a test.

All in all gone together fairly easily and should be solid and weighty when done.

I think the side frames were half a mill is so low, so that's being addressed too

IMG_20231222_195207.jpg

IMG_20231222_200858.jpg

IMG_20231223_202210.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Quite a bit more done to the 24 chassis, the battery holding box has been fabricated up, this takes the 400mah battery but allows for removal if required so it may be a case of both swapping batteries and onboard recharge will be available should it be needed.

The entire unit is removable so access will be possible to all the bits in future and for painting.

Bogie mounting plates are in hand and that'll be next job when the required bits arrive hopefully tomorrow, then it can have a quick lash up test before breaking down into bits for paint.

The RC receiver and all other electrical bits will live on top of the battery for ease of access etc. There's channels for the wiring to charge port and on/off switch built in to make wiring it up easy.

A few pics (hopefully to remind myself exactly how I built it in future ...😄)

IMG_20231227_172912.jpg

IMG_20231227_172922.jpg

IMG_20231227_172933.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Now up on both bogies.....

Need to do a bit of messing with side frame fitment because I'm not 100% happy with them at the moment.

Then reassemble motors etc and hopefully a quick lashed up trial run before the year is out!

Meanwhile a little light reading for the class 29 build has arrived, a class I never saw and don't really know that much about...

I think I may now order either a 17 or a 20 for a narrow body trial build...20 is probably favourite at moment.

IMG_20231229_200940.jpg

IMG_20231229_201015_PORTRAIT.jpg

• Like 2

Well it's alive.....

A few tweaks needed yet but overall fairly happy with low speed side of it I will be putting a voltage up converter to give a touch more top speed, but as a quick lash up first test I'm reasonably pleased to how it's running.

Edited by Red Devil
embed vid.
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Slightly altered the battery holder to cantilever out over the bogie pivot points to give me more space to fit all the wiring and RC gear, it's still removable for access to everything underneath and will still allow easy battery replacement if required, loops in wiring allow that without any hassles, so added tidying clips for those and cable run channels etc for neatness 

Remainder of stuff required (voltage up converter etc) ordered so that side now covered.

Might fit same connector for bogies so that'd allow very quick disassembly if required.

Next up tidy up lower chassis part and spray so I can fit switch and charge port permanently then remainder of battery box can be done.

IMG_20240102_132733.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• Red Devil changed the title to 3mm/14.2 Dead rail class 24 build, now with added class 29 content.

The first of quite a few things due has landed....

Sitting happily on the 24 chassis is the class 29 print....which basically means for the 29 I can pretty much just replicate the 24 build...if I remember correctly bogie spacing is about 1.5 further apart on the 29 but basically the entire block fits and can be just copied.

This is going to be 6100 which entered traffic as a 29 in rail blue in 1967, works for me....I can also in theory have a green 21 alongside this....

Meanwhile I think I've sussed out how to do a dual axle drive unit 25.5mm wb....read that as I think there's going to be a DMU order going in soon!

IMG_20240104_182422.jpg

• Like 5

Well having a bit of time spare last night and having raided the parts stash I thought I'd make a start on the idea for the DMU power bogie.

Biggest issue here is that I need to run a 9mm wheel and the gears in the other bogies won't allow that.....

So, smallest gears I have are tenshodo ones that give a 14:1 reduction if I remember right, I was always a big fan of the belt driven Bullant bogies, but obviously they're now out of production so could I knock up something similar?

Basic idea is that the Tenshodo gears will be connected by a lay shaft running under the Tramfabriek 1020 motor, shown here fitted with a flywheel cos I had it...

The motor will sit above and drive the layshaft by Nigel Lawton 009 belts and pulleys, aiming for a roughly 2.5/3:1 reduction here to give an overall drive ratio of about 40:1, which Is same as other drives then rest of electrical/RC gear can be the same.

Only bits I'm waiting for at the moment are some tubing and layshaft material that were ordered last night, I may have to lift the motor a fraction more yet for gear meshing etc, that'll be the trial and error part....

Shown on accomodation wheels etc and a good way to go....

Will it work? Dunno yet but it's only a bit of brass if it doesn't, that said the Bullants ran well and I had a Locos n stuff Tenshodo replacement truck that also did, I was toying with resurrecting that but I really don't like the fact that if the belt fails in it you have to take all the layshaft out to replace, on this as per Bullant the belt will be fully accessible on one end for a few seconds replacement, and I can also use a bigger motor....

A couple of WIP pics....

IMG_20240105_105418.jpg

IMG_20240105_105456.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 4

Layshaft tubing now soldered into place, roughed out for gear fitment.

Waiting on the layshaft material...

Layshaft pulley will probably be 3 or 4 mm to give 1:40 or 1:49 ish overall reduction

Why did I spend hours last night looking at class 126 DMU information.....?😃

IMG_20240107_073759.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Good luck on the dmu that looks to be sweet design well on the way.  The 126 is a good choice as you only need one fancy cab!   I can see some sort of Cadder yard area layout with blue 29, green 21, green 24 and a 126 howling past on a Glasgow - Edinburgh express. pair of green 26 on an Inverness working complete with maroon coaches and a blue grey griddle car. 

Brilliant progress.

Robert   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Red Devil said:

Layshaft tubing now soldered into place, roughed out for gear fitment.

Waiting on the layshaft material...

Layshaft pulley will probably be 3 or 4 mm to give 1:40 or 1:49 ish overall reduction

Why did I spend hours last night looking at class 126 DMU information.....?😃

IMG_20240107_073759.jpg

Well that looks neat! 👌 

Like your ratio calculations....ish! It's model trains not NASA...cant wait to see it move...Will you be using same for future bo bo locos 

Keep updates coming 

Edited by bradfordbuffer
Typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Well that looks neat! 👌 

Like your ratio calculations....ish! It's model trains not NASA...cant wait to see it move...Will you be using same for future bo bo locos 

Keep updates coming 

No will probably keep the simple one in the Bo-Bos reason being it's actually easier to build two of those than one of these and so far they look up to the job....unless they prove to be an abject failure on haulage I'll stay with the simple drive in Locos but doubled up and the two axle variant in DMU s where I need a smaller wheel fitment.

• Like 1

Little bit of progress with the 'DMU motor bogie'.....

Layshaft and gears all fitted, tested and seemingly ok, can I find my stash of belts and pulleys anywhere tho'.....?

Shown below roughed out ready for messing about with pulleys when I order some more...But basic chassis bit all soldered up and good to go.

Class 24 chassis has started being sprayed and rest of RC bits required are here.

Meanwhile something else has landed from the flatlands to the east.....

I might mess with that alongside the 29 chassis build.

A batch of 10 or so 3mm society wagon kits also here but I'll keep this thread to the RC loco builds I think....

IMG_20240113_181145.jpg

IMG_20240113_181220.jpg

• Like 4

Very quick video of the first run of the double reduction DMU drive having it's first test run on 12v flying leads....

You'll have to excuse my scruffy hands but when you've spent the last few weeks mauling with reclaimed York stone paving and grit stone setts they do tend to end up a bit battered!😄

Overall so far so good, few bits I want to finesse before hooking up to a battery and RC receiver.

• Like 3