BRM August - We'd like to hear your thoughts.

AY Mod

• Moderators

The new issue of BRM is now out on Pocketmags and on Exact Editions for our Gold / World of Railways Plus members.

250299.jpg

image.png

Over the last few months the magazine has been evolving with some different approaches to the key areas.

Layouts

image.png

This month we feature a magnificent County Donegal Railway scene in 10mm/ft scale from Chris Romain with some superb imagery by Jamie Warne.

image.png

Weaver Hill by Benjamin and Richard Brady in OO.

Phil went narrow gauge with Richard Holmes' OO9 scene.

image.png

Visitors to Doncaster may have seen Roland Wood's refreshing of an N gauge tailchaser.

image.png

Digital readers also get a look back at three more layouts too and additional pictures for the four main layouts.

Practical pages get a makeover as seen in this screenshot of Jesse Sim's whiff of fish.

image.png

We tweaked the review pages a few months ago to give more information in a concise form.

image.png

Prototype - the whiff of fish lingers in an interesting article from Ian Lamb too.

image.png

The Community pages bring together submissions by readers and this month points readers to some of RMweb's best content.

image.png

There are many more little tweaks mixed in with it but I think Debbie and Ruth have done a grand job in giving the pages a lift and we'd like to hear your thoughts.

BRM August will be in shops next week and individual issues, subscriptions and Pocketmags edition can be bought here - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/information/3-easy-ways-to-buy-brm?openPageId=b752a321-a998-4d8c-98e5-dabf827d9abc

Get the digital issue every month as a World of Railways Plus member here - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/store/membership-subscriptions

This month digital customers also get June's Garden Rail bundled in too.

image.png

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

After browsing through quickly with an afternoon cuppa, I have to say it looks like an excellent issue.  The Getting Practical section is very good, particularly Jesse's weathering notes.  

Well done to all involved.

Best

Scott.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking good to me, the in the picture captions aren’t usually a favourite of mine but they’ve been well done to not spoil the pics and they do look more slick somehow. Bit of a quandary for me as it looks good even if it’s something that usually grates but not objectionable if that composition can be achieved all the time. 

Nice to see another set of pics of Killybegs too another layout that has so many good angles. Got to say I’m happy overall 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The postie brought my paper copy this morning so I've been enjoying a flick through with my coffee. It has some cracking layouts and I'm enjoying the improvements to the format, the practical tips (all of them) will no doubt come in handy, and I particularly enjoyed the (new?) Community and Prototype features as well. The design improvements look good to me, I find BRM the best looking and easiest to read of the railway modelling mags these days, which is probably why it's the one I subscribe to - I only tend to pick up the occasional copy of one of the others when there's something that catches my eye. Not sure what I could suggest as an improvement to BRM over and above what's been recently improved. What's the publishing equivalent of "compliments to the chef"?

Edited by JamFjord
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/07/2023 at 13:19, AY Mod said:

Layouts

image.png

This month we feature a magnificent County Donegal Railway scene in 10mm/ft scale from Chris Romain with some superb imagery by Jamie Warne

I've been to Killybegs but that was for the craic and the women 😉

Looks a good edition, I may have to invest 👍

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

I only get a digital copy but the design and layout feels like it has gone up a gear, plus photography is always consistently good these days - though I do hate ‘computerised’ skies…  Having met you all, I can say the magazine is put together by a passionate and friendly bunch too - I do think this comes across on the page too.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

though I do hate ‘computerised’ skies

You really wouldn't want to see what we start with sometimes! Not everyone sets a ready to print standards in background/skies as you do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Overall an excellent edition, particularly the County Donegal layout. However, in my printed edition, I was disappointed by the number of murky photographs. Jesse Sims’ piece suffered most, with the differences between examples, apart from Wagon 3, being virtually indistinguishable. A couple of the RMweb Community views suffered similarly, and the picture of the Hornby Fish Wagon(?) looked like one of O. V. Bulleid’s more experimental Irish wagons, with diagonal corrugated sides and a continuously curved roof.

Being picky, I realise that Michael Russell’s piece on weathering was applicable to all scales, but then specific dimensions were quoted, unnecessarily, for the mudflaps, and it would be interesting to know the source of the model used.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

I was disappointed by the number of murky photographs. Jesse Sims’ piece suffered most, with the differences between examples, apart from Wagon 3, being virtually indistinguishable. A couple of the RMweb Community views suffered similarly,

Over-inking by the print room is something we continually flag up. I try and compensate for this in anything that passes this way for 'processing'.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Nick Holliday said:

the picture of the Hornby Fish Wagon(?) looked like one of O. V. Bulleid’s more experimental Irish wagons, with diagonal corrugated sides and a continuously curved roof.

That appears to be a scan from a Hornby catalogue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2023 at 21:00, Nick Holliday said:

Overall an excellent edition, particularly the County Donegal layout. However, in my printed edition, I was disappointed by the number of murky photographs. Jesse Sims’ piece suffered most, with the differences between examples, apart from Wagon 3, being virtually indistinguishable. A couple of the RMweb Community views suffered similarly, and the picture of the Hornby Fish Wagon(?) looked like one of O. V. Bulleid’s more experimental Irish wagons, with diagonal corrugated sides and a continuously curved roof.

Being picky, I realise that Michael Russell’s piece on weathering was applicable to all scales, but then specific dimensions were quoted, unnecessarily, for the mudflaps, and it would be interesting to know the source of the model used.

On 27/07/2023 at 21:09, AY Mod said:

Over-inking by the print room is something we continually flag up. I try and compensate for this in anything that passes this way for 'processing'.

Photography is definitely not my strong point, I think I am a far better modeller than photographer. As I live in Australia (born and bred) studio shots are not possible and the article suffered due to my lack of photography skills. Although I hope to rectify this in coming articles….practice makes perfect. 

• Like 1