Southern Region books / research etc...

Rugd1022

Evening folks,

With the old railway mojo kicking in again, it's only recently dawned on me that compared to my extensive collection of GWR / WR stuff I have very little BR / SR material in the way of books, magazines or dvds - I've already got a few of the SR Bradford Barton books and have now started scooping up the rest of them on ebay etc, but I'd like to acquire some books on more specific SR subjects, namely the Q1 0-6-0s, the M7 tanks, the various Maunsell and Urie mixed traffic 4-6-0s and anything at all on Southern steam in the London area, particularly Waterloo, Nine Elms, Battersea, Clapham and Feltham. If any of you fine RMWebbers have any recommendations please fire away, I've done a few searches online and (surprisingly) not that much has come up so far.

One of the reasons for asking this is I've been inspired by reading Jack P's wonderful thread in the 'modifying & detailing RTR stock' section of the forum, it's an absolute corker!

😉

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Maunsell and Urie 4-6-0's (excluding N15's I guess?) :

The Book of the H15 and S15 4-6-0s Peter Swift - Irwell Press

Urie and Maunsell 2 -Cylinder 4-6-0's David Maidment - Pen and Sword Books

These two books have proved to be an invaluable help during my building of Urie S15's and all varieties of H15 4-6-0s.

M7's - The Book of the M7 0-4-4T Peter Swift - Irwell Press is comprehensive.

Q1's - SR O-6-0 Tender Goods Locomotive Classes - David Maidment Pen and Sword Books is a useful starting point.

A starter for 10 as they say. Good luck.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

Thanks gents, very much appreciated - several books including all of the above now on the shopping list. Searching for the above led me down a rather deep, dark rabbit hole...!

I'd actually forgotten about the Irwell Press stuff, despite having some of heir titles on LMS subjects.

Hal - those two Londoncentric Ian Allen albums are spot on 😉

• Like 2

The LSWR Locomotives books by DL Bradley for things like the S15s and M7s.

The later books are out of print, but the Early one is still available. Shouldn't have much trouble finding them for a reasonable price.

https://wildswanbooks.co.uk/Books/LSWR-Locomotives.htm

They were much expanded versions of the RCTS books. I believe he planned on doing the rest (LBSC/SECR/etc.) as well, but they never appeared.

Jason

• Like 1

Hi

I've got most (if not all) of the books already mentioned, along with many other SR related ones, which I'm happy to sell at a reasonable price. If you would like to send me a PM I will send you a list of what is available.

Derek

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

You’re asking about a monster subject, spanning a long period, roughly a century. Can you narrow down a bit by date maybe?

Heck, at least he didn't say "I want to know about the LMS"...

• Funny 3

My interests lie further west.

The book 'London and South Western Railway - Engine Sheds Western District' by Hawkins and Reeve is excellent. It has depot plans, allocations, and also notes the duties the locos worked and the drivers links and their route knowledge. Is there another another similar book covering the London District?

cheers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1