Londonderry to Portadown line recommended

• RMweb Gold

The Derry Road closed in the year of my birth (1965) and I doubt that it will reopen in my lifetime.   £36 billion (estimated now) is not just lying around to be spent and there are higher priorities for cash that isn’t forthcoming anyway. 

These railway line reopening reports are great fantasy reading but IHMO they are just that - fantasy.

How about resurrecting that railway tunnel idea from Scotland to Ireland - any takers?

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

As considered as an option by the Irish Department of International Overland Transport ! 😁

I thought is was a B.O.R.I.S. project…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Restoration of the train line between Londonderry and Portadown is one of the main recommendations made in a new review of the railway network.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-66297150

Ideal for through trains from Letterkenney to Dublin, if the line is reopened to Londonderry too.

Give County Donegal through trains to Dublin!

Makes interesting reading. Would require a new alignment especially as they suggest this is for faster trains but when you look at the economics and the environmental aspects these towns don’t have the capacity to service such a railway. We looked at reopening the line to Armagh from Portadown. It was more logical to put in park and ride on the M1 and encourage the use of electric cars and electric buses. 

• Like 1