Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Update from Hornby with regard to Oxford Rail.

Black 5 Bear

12 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Ive been after a J15 and i dont see them on the Hornby site. Cant really find anywhere with them but i di remember them being very cheap a while back

A matter of weeks ago , in one of the Hornby threads , someone pointed us to Oxford Bundles.

This commercial nether hell is where Margate is desperately trying to off-load the real dregs of the unsaleable stock

(Note : dregs in commercial terms. Many of the Hornby models - like the J15 - are actually pretty decent models . But no-one wants to buy them)

Oxford Bundles - incl J15

You might have to remove the lettering and renumber to get a BR black one. But unlined black is a do-able livery

And this bit of desperation flags some of the real unsaleable stuff desperate loco disposal

These quotes from Hornby's Financial Report seem very relevant to the developments with Oxford promised products:

The current inventory position clearly points to an over-commitment of stock ahead of increased sales, but part of the story also relates to the specifics of product development.

In some instances, like the TT:120 launch highlighted earlier, we were not ambitious enough in our initial commitments, and in other cases we find ourselves over-stocked on slower moving lines.

This brand-led, customer-led, structured, approach to product selection is something that has not had enough focus in recent years and is a contributor to the current Inventory position.

To me the last paragraph is why the Oxford Rail J26 will not go ahead. There is a military maxim " never reinforce failure" - and they are disposing of Oxford Rail J27s in bundles. Not enough TT:120 sets , too many black 0-6-0s...

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

And this bit of desperation flags some of the real unsaleable stuff desperate loco disposal

Right, but the pricing is awful. The image says 100 quid for 150 quid of value, but the price online that gets added to your basket is 146 quid.

"Oh look, I saved the price of a half pint in the london suburbs for a box where nothing is likely to be the same era, and I can't even guarantee the livery of the locomotive".

This is why I contend their inventory isn't particularly high. There have been much, much better deals on OR (and Hornby) products in past years - 50% and even 60% off as they tried to shift stock. Now we're lucky to see 30%, maybe 40% on a big steamer.

This one is more expensive than the box contents https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/gwr-locomotive-r3534-and-assortmen-of-vehicles

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Right, but the pricing is awful. The image says 100 quid for 150 quid of value, but the price online that gets added to your basket is 146 quid.

"Oh look, I saved the price of a half pint in the london suburbs for a box where nothing is likely to be the same era, and I can't even guarantee the livery of the locomotive".

This is why I contend their inventory isn't particularly high. There have been much, much better deals on OR (and Hornby) products in past years - 50% and even 60% off as they tried to shift stock. Now we're lucky to see 30%, maybe 40% on a big steamer.

This one is more expensive than the box contents https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/gwr-locomotive-r3534-and-assortmen-of-vehicles

The price in your basket is $146 not GBP, so more than a couple of pints!  But if you want a J27, being sent a Radial won't help.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

The price in your basket is $146 not GBP, so more than a couple of pints!  But if you want a J27, being sent a Radial won't help.

Oh crap, you're right - it's defaulted to my home currency. I get annoyed when it does that - if I'm ordering from a UK site it goes to a UK address, from a UK credit card.

Blackwells, whom I love, are particularly bad for that.

My apologies. And yes, $146 is about one decent beer session in inner London...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

But if you want a J27, being sent a Radial won't help.

Aldi and Lidl have made a fortune selling hot tubs and onesies to someone who went in for 🥕 s.

Some will buy any old 💩 if they think it's cheap.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Aldi and Lidl have made a fortune selling hot tubs and onesies to someone who went in for 🥕 s.

Some will buy any old 💩 if they think it's cheap.

True, but those items are full size.

Hmm, now there's an idea...!

50 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

The RRP (or whatever the term today) of the King is according to KMS Railtech £224.99. Obviously it is being sold cheaper but anyone pacakaging a bundle together is going to compare its price to the RRP .

The penny under £100 bundles are weird -at least split them into 4 different ones stating what the loco is.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Butler Henderson said:

The RRP (or whatever the term today) of the King is according to KMS Railtech £224.99. Obviously it is being sold cheaper but anyone pacakaging a bundle together is going to compare its price to the RRP .

The penny under £100 bundles are weird -at least split them into 4 different ones stating what the loco is.

Yeah it was my mistake as I'm in Canada and their site autoconverted to CAD$. 

1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

Oh crap, you're right - it's defaulted to my home currency. I get annoyed when it does that - if I'm ordering from a UK site it goes to a UK address, from a UK credit card.

Blackwells, whom I love, are particularly bad for that.

My apologies. And yes, $146 is about one decent beer session in inner London...

No problem, it catches me out as well as Accurascale do it as well.   Hope to see you at the Windsor show next week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ravenser said:

(Note : dregs in commercial terms. Many of the Hornby models - like the J15 - are actually pretty decent models . But no-one wants to buy them)

You might have to remove the lettering and renumber to get a BR black one. But unlined black is a do-able livery

To me the last paragraph is why the Oxford Rail J26 will not go ahead. There is a military maxim " never reinforce failure" - and they are disposing of Oxford Rail J27s in bundles. Not enough TT:120 sets , too many black 0-6-0s...

The problem with that analysis is that the bundle you linked to that included an LNER J15 is sold out.  The same is true of the other LNER bundles that included either a D16/3 or a Q6.

I have to agree that I don't see much merit in a bundle that includes an odd collection of items from different eras - especially when you can't even choose the locomotive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2023 at 00:11, meatloaf said:

Ive been after a J15 and i dont see them on the Hornby site. Cant really find anywhere with them but i di remember them being very cheap a while back

Great Eastern Models have a used early BR one  if that's any use? - https://www.facebook.com/groups/627539614510187/permalink/1389368398327301/