Triang 0-4-0 tank engine info needed

Hi all,

I have just bought a old(Very old) Triang 0-4-0. Was sold as a runner but when it arrived it was a s dead as a doornail. You can tell by the wheels that it has not run in a long time. But not to worry after a full strip down, clean and service it now runs superbly. Anyway what I want to know these types of shunting engines fitted with air/vacuum brakes. Did these engines have much bigger buffers as well. I cannot remember where but I am sure I read that they were well and truly underscalePlus for shunting duties did they have lamps fitted. I just want to modernise it a bit.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Edited by cypherman

It’s quite hard to find pictures on the web of the S14, most show the very slightly smaller C14, but here is one:

IMG_1881.jpeg.6bf3b2c8562b4ace4d13a7ef93a32423.jpeg

It was a motor-train engine, so had full “gubbins” for passenger train work. I always get confused about these locos, there were only two, and they only lasted “a few minutes” in LSWR ownership, but I think the second one was built as an 0-4-0 with outside cylinders, but that the first was a 2-2-0T like the C14. Wikipedia says both were built as 0-4-0T, but I’m not sure that’s right.

The C14 that survived were rebuilt to 0-4-0, and if you google, you will get lots of photos of them in their later ‘shunter’ guise

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Unlike the ten C14s built as 2-2-0Ts (four were rebuilt as 0-4-0Ts), the two S14s, 101 & 147, built in 1910, were always 0-4-0Ts. 

They were sold to the Ministry of Munitions in 1917.  147 was eventually sold overseas in 1927 while 101 was noted awaiting scrapping at the Royal Ordnance Factory, Chorley in July 1951.

Chris KT

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Bernard,

I believe you are right about the body. But the chassis is a late 1950s split framed one. Unless they used the split metal chassis until the 1970s.

I'm not sure they ever updated that chassis construction; perhaps why they abandoned it in favour of the new Holden tank in 1978. I would be interested to see an all-cast version if anyone has one.

The sprung wire pick-up makes it later than some as do the see-through wheels. Early ones have solid backed spokes (though I don't think they ever had the shallow version solid spokes) and a brown paxilon pick-up section with phosper bronze strips.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Bernard,

I believe you are right about the body. But the chassis is a late 1950s split framed one. Unless they used the split metal chassis until the 1970s.

What split frame? I though Triang were always solid.

Or do you mean sandwich frame?

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

My c1973 one is buried somewhere about the place, but I’m 99% sure it has a chassis with separate frame plates, fixed to central block(s) by peining either rivets or protrusions cast onto the blocks..

This thread once contained everything a person could want to know about Triang 0-4-0 and 4W chassis, but all the service sheets that Ruffnut Thornton contributed disappeared in the photo cull. 

Edited by Nearholmer

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

It is odd that they want nearly £30.00 just for that chassis when the whole engine cost me £10.00. Yes I know I had to fully service the chassis and clean up all the crap, But that's part of the fun I have my eye on another one......... 😉

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, cypherman said:

It is odd that they want nearly £30.00 just for that chassis when the whole engine cost me £10.00. I have my eye on another one......... 😉

It's a well known trader to RMWeb users, often ridiculed for his prices. I picked that because of the ample photos.

9 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Sorry I did mean sandwich frame. 2 steel plates with mazak blocks

I think some may have been(?) blackened brass sides.

I seem to remember my first trains both pacifics (S/H) gave that appearance where some of the black had worn off.

One had the early style couplers with half a loop.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

Hi all,

Well except for a set of nameplates i have gone as far as I want to with this engine. Think I will look for a set of plates with the name Goliath. Any one tell me where I might get a set of nameplates with that name on them.

So what have I done.

1/ Full repaint. i know I have just swapped one shade of green for another but I wanted it in a lighter colour.

2/ Put larger buffers on it.

3/ Glazed the front and rear windows

4/ Real coal in the bunker.

5/ Renumbered the engine.

6/ New couplings to replace the 2 broken ones that it came with.

7/ Cut away the pretend coupling hooks and replaced them with white metal ones.

8/ Buffer beam vacuum and brake pipes added

9 Complete strip down and service of the motor and chassis. Took over 2 hours just to get the rust on the wheels off to my satisfaction.

Anyway here it is. 

It was never going to be done to a prototypical high detail engine. I just wanted to upgrade it a bit.

DSC_1374.JPG

DSC_1375.JPG

DSC_1381.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Well except for a set of nameplates i have gone as far as I want to with this engine. Think I will look for a set of plates with the name Goliath. Any one tell me where I might get a set of nameplates with that name on them.

Fox Transfers  do one https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/86220-goliath

If you want a different style, then Light Railway Stores is the place to go.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/nameplate-styles

Not much more than the Fox ones, but you do have to wait 6-8 weeks for them to be produced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, cypherman said:

Any one tell me where I might get a set of nameplates with that name on them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283777461818?hash=item4212746e3a:g:UH4AAOSwo5Zh3i6O

Hi Ged, Lovely job mate. The above link is for an ebay seller called Silver Tay Models (or similar) He has a Goliath plate but I think it's a cuved one. The link should take you to his fictional/ J94 nameplates selection which is worth a quick look. I've used his stuff for ficticious Dublo A4 and Duchess nameplates. Nice product and ballistically speedy service.

Just wondering how your'e getting on with your 4mt/9f hybrid? Did you manage to lower the body? I've got all the ingredients for my Bertha mutation that I mentioned and comparing it to an old RM drawing it will work ( ie it's close enough for me).

Cheers, Rich

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283777461818?hash=item4212746e3a:g:UH4AAOSwo5Zh3i6O

Hi Ged, Lovely job mate. The above link is for an ebay seller called Silver Tay Models (or similar) He has a Goliath plate but I think it's a cuved one. The link should take you to his fictional/ J94 nameplates selection which is worth a quick look. I've used his stuff for ficticious Dublo A4 and Duchess nameplates. Nice product and ballistically speedy service.

Just wondering how your'e getting on with your 4mt/9f hybrid? Did you manage to lower the body? I've got all the ingredients for my Bertha mutation that I mentioned and comparing it to an old RM drawing it will work ( ie it's close enough for me).

Cheers, Rich

Hi Tintracks,

I have used his products before. They have always been of high quality. I do not know why i did not think of him in the fist place.

• Like 1