RMweb

Retooled Dapol N Gauge Class 56

TomE

7 minutes ago, TomE said:

I think it is there Jo, looking at the following two images side by side. You can see on the Romanian version on the left that there is a representation of the more curved interface between windows and nose, where as the Donny version doesn't have this

Thanks Tom, the plot thickens!

I was going off the front view on your site. (Apologies for the cheeky screenshot). The lower edge of the loco is horizontal, but the top of the "shelf" is stepped, but I've enough experience of looking at CADs to know at low res they can appear off at times, especially if exported at low res initially.

image.png.892afbf0844c20dc879688e80c2fa1d9.png

As for the droopy windows, since the original model came out I have believed this is a result of the overwidth body, thus to fill the horizontal gap the windows where stretched, so reducing the gradient as the slope is over a greater distance. 

The droopy face of a 56 windscreens is a big part of the character.

Jo

Have to concur with the earlier comment, while I’ve got a pair of 56s from the earlier version (loadhaul and EWS) if the triple grey is decent then be rude not to! 

As this is a body tweak and not a full retool, while I will appreciate the added fidelity/detail what are peoples opinions of having the two versions side by side? Will it be a live with it situation or are the detail changes substantial enough to swap over?

Edited by 101Voodoo
Typo - didn’t make sense. Doh!

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm that the Doncaster / Crewe 56s are flat below the windscreens, whilst the Romanians / Early Doncasters have the 47-style curves. It doesn't show too clearly on the CAD exports, due to the low-resolution but it is there. Hopefully, this screenshot makes things a little clearer.

56 End Profile.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Adam1701D said:

I can confirm that the Doncaster / Crewe 56s are flat below the windscreens, whilst the Romanians / Early Doncasters have the 47-style curves. It doesn't show too clearly on the CAD exports, due to the low-resolution but it is there. Hopefully, this screenshot makes things a little clearer.

56 End Profile.png

Thanks for posting Adam, much clearer. 

Much appreciated! 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

it's a really tricky shape to get right. 

hopefully some commissions for a few other liveries will follow

my main problem with the 56s has been extremely slow running.  painfully slow. I know it was suggested to clean the commutator but I'm not really confident to do that.

also the wiring of the lights is annoying. contacts would be better than wires.

cheers 

tim

Very good news that Dapol are proposing a new run of class 56s with updated bodies.  I'm up for a large logo and banger blue versions but I do hope that the banger blue model will not be numbered 56 006 since that was the number used on the original Dapol class 56. Fresh numbers not previously used on earlier models must surely lead to more sales…much easier to justify the expense if the model is a fresh identity.  I do accept that I could resort to renumbering if 56006 remains the preferred identity. 

• RMweb Gold
On 08/08/2023 at 07:55, Adam1701D said:

We are retaining the existing chassis but the body is all-new.

With that being the case Adam, is it possible that you’ll be offering the new version body shells as a spare part for anyone who has the original version and just wants to swap the new, better body shell onto it?

• Like 1

Hi Adam,

The CADS look good so far and a massive improvement. There are a few points though if I may:

The air conditioning vent (little square panel on the side of the cab) only featured on 56091-56135. Therefore is not accurate for the 56056-56090 range. I noticed that Dapol have announced 56059 in EWS livery and the artwork includes the vent. It would be a shame not to include an additional cab variant to portray all types.

As others have noticed, the drooping windows are quite distinctive on the class and the windows on the CADS appear to be horizontal.

The cab roof shape looks excellent. Please can you confirm whether the body width has been slimmed down as the previous tooling was quite wide and chunky looking.

If there is scope for further liveries, the following would great:

56065 Trainload Construction (un-named and would allow easy re-livery into any sector between 056-090)

56087 Colas (current)

56091 DCR Grey (current)

56107 Loadhaul (Dapol released 003 and 006 in Loadhaul previously. A Doncaster type in this livery would be appreciated this time)

56118 Trainload Coal (un-named and would allow easy re-livery into any sector between 091-135)

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by Aire_Valley
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The problem with the choice of 56 liveries is that most have already been promised for a year or so and we are committed to producing these, albeit with the revised bodyshells. I hear the calls for a Colas 56 and will get one produced in the next batch if we cannot do so earlier. 

Perhaps I need "Unconscious Bias" training for being a Sectorisation-era modeller and not paying enough attention to the current scene! 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I reckon one of my faves is very unlikely to be done RTR, it's a bit niche. Nut then it's easy enough to mask and spray this one myself. It looks superb when grubby!

Dusty grid

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

The problem with the choice of 56 liveries is that most have already been promised for a year or so and we are committed to producing these, albeit with the revised bodyshells. I hear the calls for a Colas 56 and will get one produced in the next batch if we cannot do so earlier. 

Perhaps I need "Unconscious Bias" training for being a Sectorisation-era modeller and not paying enough attention to the current scene! 😎

Thanks Adam, please, when you do a Colas liveried loco, make it one that can be renumbered too, in the same detailed body.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in thinking that the revised bodyshell will have the original cantrail grilles?

Something which basically precludes the privatisation liveries. To me, it was the biggest fault with the original early livery models.

I would hope though that the tooling can cater for both this time....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Davexoc said:

Am I right in thinking that the revised bodyshell will have the original cantrail grilles?

Something which basically precludes the privatisation liveries. To me, it was the biggest fault with the original early livery models.

I would hope though that the tooling can cater for both this time....

The new tooling will allow for both cantrail grilles this time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, richierich said:

So it the over width issue going to be corrected?

We are using the same chassis, so it is not possible to reduce the width. 

To be honest, unless you are going to study ultra-high resolution digital photos of the model, the width is not an issue. It looks very 56-ish to me and is a big improvement on the previous model.

I have had the first set of EPs to play with and they are excellent. Looking forward to finalising the design in the New Year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

We are using the same chassis, so it is not possible to reduce the width. 

To be honest, unless you are going to study ultra-high resolution digital photos of the model, the width is not an issue. It looks very 56-ish to me and is a big improvement on the previous model.

I have had the first set of EPs to play with and they are excellent. Looking forward to finalising the design in the New Year.

Interesting view and thoughts…

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see it being retooled but I have to agree with the poster who said it was slow. And I don't believe that cleaning it is the answer because mine was slow from the day I got it. I think I once worked out that its top speed was the scale equivalent of 50mph. To be fair it is a very good low speed runner but the gear ratio appears to be too high.

It's far and away the slowest loco in my fleet. Mind you my class 121 seems to have a top speed of 150mph so I suppose it averages out :)

Edited by AndrueC

On 22/12/2023 at 13:16, AndrueC said:

Glad to see it being retooled but I have to agree with the poster who said it was slow. And I don't believe that cleaning it is the answer because mine was slow from the day I got it. I think I once worked out that its top speed was the scale equivalent of 50mph. To be fair it is a very good low speed runner but the gear ratio appears to be too high.

It's far and away the slowest loco in my fleet. Mind you my class 121 seems to have a top speed of 150mph so I suppose it averages out :)

Similar here, my 122 (now detailed at both ends) was able to pull 36 Peco HAAs at high speed, my 56 can't handle more than 20 at a crawl. 

Hope there is some improvement in this area.

es grüßt

pc 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have the first EP with me and will give it a test to check the performance. It has been up and down my test track a few times and seems fine, though I have not tested haulage.

The new 56 uses the existing chassis but I can ask the factory if they can make any improvements.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1