Great Eastern 10 ton Van - Fitted.

Penlan

In the September edition of Railway Modeller, BRM one of the layouts featured is 'Queen Street Yard' by Gerald Maher.
In a couple of views, there is this rather attractive (aka different) liveried GE Van and in one caption it states the van is painted dark grey on the ends and the sides as seen in these photos.
It also mentions that these are 10 ton vans fitted for express work (a similar 4mm kit was available many years ago).
The partial van photo shows the brakes are not the clasp type.
So my question is  "Are these the standard GE 10 ton Vans just fitted with a through pipe".
Further prototype details would be welcome - such as when built and extent of the term 'Fitted'.
Thank you.

GE Fitted Van #2 001.jpg

GE Van - End 001.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Just now, Nile said:

I think the red ends mean it's vacuum brake fitted, or is it air on the GER?

Thank you, if fitted with vacuum brakes, wouldn't they be the clasp type, or has this been missed off the model?

• Like 1

Ooops, just been called out on an emergency, so if any further replies come along in the next hour or 4,
I'm not ignoring them, I'm out working.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Penlan said:

In the September edition of Railway Modeller

It's in BRM.

24 minutes ago, Penlan said:

Thank you, if fitted with vacuum brakes, wouldn't they be the clasp type, or has this been missed off the model?

Yes they should be clasp type. Possibly the builder has used a kit for an unfitted type. It's O scale so I'm not familiar with what's available for GER stock.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nile said:

It's in BRM.

Yes they should be clasp type. Possibly the builder has used a kit for an unfitted type. It's O scale so I'm not familiar with what's available for GER stock.

Corrected in OP.
And thank you clasp brakes. 🙂

10 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Tatlow, Volume One, Page 205 : "... livery of light grey with red ends indicating that it was vacuum brake fitted ..." . the vac cylinder and clasp brakes are clearly visible in the broadside view.

Lovely, Thank you, as I'm LNWR in South Wales, those Tatlow books I don't have - Only his Pictorial Record of LNER Wagons.

21 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

. the vac cylinder and clasp brakes are clearly visible in the broadside view.

Is the vac cylinder vertical or horizontal?  Please.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Jim McGeown does a Connoisseur kit for this van but it's the unfitted version, details here, with a link to download the instructions: Great Eastern Ventilated Van (jimmcgeown.com)

That appears to be the Diagram 72 vans that were constructed from 1911 and I understand that these were all unfitted.  It's the same van that Oxford Rail recently produced a model of in 4mm scale.

I understand that it was just the earlier Diagram 46 vans that were built between 1903 and 1911, which were a mix of fitted and unfitted and also ventilated and non-ventilated.  These were very similar, but 3" longer, being 19' 3" overhead stocks rather than 19'.  

As for the livery, it would have been around in @Penlan's time period of 1910, but I understand that this livery was discontinued in 1912, with a large V on the bodyside rather than the red ends becoming the standard from that date.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dungrange said:

That appears to be the Diagram 72 vans that were constructed from 1911 and I understand that these were all unfitted.  It's the same van that Oxford Rail recently produced a model of in 4mm scale.

Photographs show 631060 (probably) and 631632 as 8-shoe clasp VB, at least in LNER days. I have found that there were at least three different versions of unfitted brake as well. I have no idea on the reasons, I'm afraid, nor do I know if they are all original. The last batch built were converted to LNER D42 banana vans almost immediately.

Edited by Cwmtwrch