Coopercraft Mk1 Kit and other projects A.K.A. The Evil Bus Driver's Coach thread

Part One of an occasional series

I had hoped to have my modelling desk in place before starting this.

So in another thread following the now happily retrieved Coopercraft range (I do acknowledge the ongoing issues with unhappy customers of Mr. Dunn and wish them every success in retrieving their money) I dug out the kit I've had lying around with a view to restoring it as a Yard Denizen on a future layout. It's not clearly in any condition to run in a rontlinecrake but I'm happy with the progress I've made over thd last couple of hours. The chassis is pretty shabby glue-wise and it may possibly need new bogies however I'll stick with what I have for the moment and go from there. 

So far the roof, body and ends have been stripped down in IPA and once dried have been filed of any residual glue (this really wasn't in a good way when I got it. This is why I dislike buying started or part built kits) soon I'll be cleaning up what I can and seeing about starting to paint the body. It'll be going into BR Blue and Grey once I come back from my holiday and buy some paint.

20230813_224419.jpg

20230813_224352.jpg

20230813_223723.jpg

20230813_223707.jpg

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 9

• The Evil Bus Driver changed the title to Coopercraft Mk1 Kit and other projects A.K.A. The Evil Bus Driver's Coach thread
  • 2 months later...

The end plates were set with 1mm of gap between the resin gangway face and the back of the end plate itself. These fit into the aperture left by the old rubber 'gangway'

The 'plank' above the gangway was also removed. Even when these were a thing I do think they were removable (anybody???)

20230429_132233.jpg

20230429_125810.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 05/11/2023 at 08:44, The Evil Bus Driver said:

The end plates were set with 1mm of gap between the resin gangway face and the back of the end plate itself. These fit into the aperture left by the old rubber 'gangway'

The 'plank' above the gangway was also removed. Even when these were a thing I do think they were removable (anybody???)

20230429_132233.jpg

20230429_125810.jpg

Re the plank, it should be just two brackets that support the canvas cover on top of the gangway.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Many thanks. It'll be painted blue and grey so were the brackets still in place by then? 

I think they are the top hangers for the gangway, so yes whilst ever gangways were fitted.

Mike.

Posted (edited)

So it's looking decidedly coach-ey again. I've taken off any old glue I could. It's not perfect but this won't be a front line coach so it doesn't matter. It'll be fine for shunting it in and out of a siding or around a yard. 

The new end is fitted. I didn't realise CC did the ends as spares, even if they did have the address of our infamous friend, Mr. Dunn on the label. 

20240301_141436.jpg.3c590167f56edd4ad2cc0e8ede141305.jpg

The new end in situ. Starting to retake shape. 

I have some M3 screws on order and corresponding nuts and washers to fit the bogies. These will need bearings and decent wheels. I've got a feeling there are a fair few wheel purchases in my future. 

Then the interior. I'll be building this up on a piece of plasticard and basing it off a Bachmann FK interior,  suitable edited to fit the CC Underframe. 

The coach will be primed before the glazing goes in. It'll be finished jn blue and grey although I'm not sure if it'll be regular or that nasty washed out blue when a coach has been out of service for a long time. It's not quite time for that yet. 

20240301_142524.jpg.a2ad561239fd295472a098bc46f789bd.jpg

Can you believe I still have all the glazing? Somewhere. It all fits nicely in this box, except for the roof and corridor partition. Of course, emptying the box out to use it for storage was delicious too. 😋 

That's about it for now. 

• RMweb Premium
On 01/03/2024 at 08:33, Enterprisingwestern said:

I think they are the top hangers for the gangway, so yes whilst ever gangways were fitted.

Mike.

They only supported the step. Gangways are not suspended.

• Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, MJI said:

They only supported the step. Gangways are not suspended.

They support the cover, underneath of which are two flexator arms which support the top of the gangway plate in position and allow it to flex, similar arms can be seen on most gangway 15Xs etc.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Of course those are Cig/Vep/REP/TC type gangways which are slightly different to LHCS ones, both in shape and construction. LHCS had a rounded arch and a rubber cover, REP types had a shroud and square section walkway. 

AIUI the door was rail grey. 

• RMweb Gold
On 01/03/2024 at 15:32, The Evil Bus Driver said:

The coach will be primed before the glazing goes in.

I have a few of these coaches in my collection, but their construction has stalled a the glazing stage.  I have 3 concerns:

1.  After painting, the glazing is a real struggle to fit into the window apertures - just not sure how best to get it to fit - enlarge the window apertures or file down the glazing

2.  Painting the vent frames on glazing material is a right PITA - the mouldings are not clean and its difficult to apply the paint consistently and accurately.

3.  The glazing material is very thick and appears to be quite prismatic - even before it is installed on the coach

Any suggestions on how best to address these challenges would be gratefully received.

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 04/03/2024 at 19:59, sjp23480 said:

1.  After painting, the glazing is a real struggle to fit into the window apertures - just not sure how best to get it to fit - enlarge the window apertures or file down the glazing

2.  Painting the vent frames on glazing material is a right PITA - the mouldings are not clean and its difficult to apply the paint consistently and accurately.

3.  The glazing material is very thick and appears to be quite prismatic - even before it is installed on the coach

Apologies for the bump, but do RMWebbers have any suggestions on these questions - I am especially frustrated with the issue of trying to paint the frames on the windows - see below

Many thanks (in advance) for any suggestions!

IMG_20240415_223420649_HDR.jpg

Edited by sjp23480

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Apologies for the bump, but do RMWebbers have any suggestions on these questions - I am especially frustrated with the issue of trying to paint the frames on the windows - see below

Many thanks (in advance) for any suggestions!

IMG_20240415_223420649_HDR.jpg

Depending on the size and fit of course, but Shawplan etched frames and Laserglaze windows might simplify things?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Depending on the size and fit of course, but Shawplan etched frames and Laserglaze windows might simplify things?

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

I haven't used either product so I will need to investigate

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MJI said:

Bow pen might work.

Hi Martin,

I have been struggling to hone my bow pen, but recent saw a YouTube by @MikeTrice that helped me to at least get it working.   So will give that a go

I also tried Rotring drawing pens - I think they are black lines you can see in the photo, which are okay.

Halfords do a paint pack (damask red) with a fine tip applicator for stone chips and scratches - see below.  But the paint flows too quickly for this application

Otherwise, I used a very fine (000) brush, but it is really slow and keeps drying out so has to be cleaned after a few minutes.

Where the mouldings are crisp it is possible to get okay results.  I shall keep persevering!

image.png.22b1e4320e1eeed9356d7c58d7b62513.png