Britannias (SR allocated) tender lamp irons

Right Away

• RMweb Gold

Not a hugely interesting topic but I would be grateful for any pointers to photographs which show the rear of the tenders of the two Britannias whilst allocated to Stewarts Lane.

I’d like to ascertain when the foot-blocks were fitted to both 4 and 14. Also did these tenders carry the middle SR lamp irons. I rather suspect not as the two locomotives’ diagrams would generally only require tender first running between terminii and MPDs; it would be useful to see photographic evidence of the tenders if possible.

Thanks

Tender locos were usually fitted with six irons at both ends, I would be surprised if the permanently allocated 70004 and 70014 weren't, indeed I think it likely that the same would have applied to 70009 when it was used by Nine Elms for a short period early in the 1950s.

In the late 1950s, at least one LMR 350hp diesel shunter was lent to the Southern (seemingly to help in the Kent Coast electrification work) and that was definitely fitted with the extra irons (but not extra electric lamps).

Edited by bécasse
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Right Away said:

... generally only require tender first running between terminii and MPDs; ...

Whatever route code applied to 'between terminus X and shed Y' would have had to be accommodated - and that would probably have been ( a tiny ) part of 'between  terminus X and coastal resort Z' so would have necessitated the same code unless it qualified for its own.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/08/2023 at 14:25, Wickham Green too said:

Whatever route code applied to 'between terminus X and shed Y' would have had to be accommodated - and that would probably have been ( a tiny ) part of 'between  terminus X and coastal resort Z' so would have necessitated the same code unless it qualified for its own.

Perfectly agree.

My query was only raised because Vic - Stew Lane LE could have been accommodated by the Vic - Dover, via Orpington, Tonbridge and Ashford route disc code; likewise at the Kentish end of a boat train working to which the two engines were generally diagrammed.

However, now that Steamport Southport has kindly confirmed the existence of the said lamp irons, I can get the 0.5mm drill out!

Edited by Right Away
spelling correction
  • Like 2