The Hornby Diesel Maintenance Depot R516: the “Snap Fit” experience

teeinox

I bought one too when they first appeared, must have been 1980/81. I think it cost £4.35! I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it at the time, but in December 1982 I had an opportunity to exhibit some of my detailed Scottish locos at a local exhibition so built a 5' x 1' three-point layout depot layout in six weeks (foam underlay helped) with this kit as the centrepiece. I wanted to fit a full floor so ordered another floor section from Hornby but it didn't arrive in time so I used balsa wood topped with plasticard instead, and clad the brick-printed side walls with embossed brick plasticard. Although the plastic floor section was pinned down (it had to be as it goes under the track) I retained the ability to dismantle the building (lift off the roof, pull out the lights, lift out the glazed end panels, fold in the sides to disengage from the floor) for storage. I went easy on the side wall clips, filing them slightly so they engaged without stress, although later on they were showing signs. I also built an office for it, basically an Airfix bungalow kit with a flat roof (Perspex covered with coarse 'wet-and-dry' abrasive paper) which blocked off one rear exit road.

When I dismantled the layout the building parts (including the unused new floor section) went into a box for many years, until I decided to build another depot layout some time back using Bachmann's rather lovely resin diesel servicing depot, and needed a single road shed for the shunters. So out came the old kit, saws, files, plasticard and an idea of what I wanted it to look like and......well, I had some fun with it! For one reason and another I still haven't built the layout it'll sit on yet - I live in eternal hope - but this (and much else besides) is ready for the glorious day.......I'll try to dig it out and post a couple of pics as I'm quite proud of it 😊!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Halvarras said:

I bought one too when they first appeared, must have been 1980/81. I think it cost £4.35! I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it at the time, but in December 1982 I had an opportunity to exhibit some of my detailed Scottish locos at a local exhibition so built a 5' x 1' three-point layout depot layout in six weeks (foam underlay helped) with this kit as the centrepiece. I wanted to fit a full floor so ordered another floor section from Hornby but it didn't arrive in time so I used balsa wood topped with plasticard instead, and clad the brick-printed side walls with embossed brick plasticard. Although the plastic floor section was pinned down (it had to be as it goes under the track) I retained the ability to dismantle the building (lift off the roof, pull out the lights, lift out the glazed end panels, fold in the sides to disengage from the floor) for storage. I went easy on the side wall clips, filing them slightly so they engaged without stress, although later on they were showing signs. I also built an office for it, basically an Airfix bungalow kit with a flat roof (Perspex covered with coarse 'wet-and-dry' abrasive paper) which blocked off one rear exit road.

When I dismantled the layout the building parts (including the unused new floor section) went into a box for many years, until I decided to build another depot layout some time back using Bachmann's rather lovely resin diesel servicing depot, and needed a single road shed for the shunters. So out came the old kit, saws, files, plasticard and an idea of what I wanted it to look like and......well, I had some fun with it! For one reason and another I still haven't built the layout it'll sit on yet - I live in eternal hope - but this (and much else besides) is ready for the glorious day.......I'll try to dig it out and post a couple of pics as I'm quite proud of it 😊!

Yes, I was puzzled as to why the floor pan was so small.  It seemed so strange.  But in putting the kit back into its box, I discovered why.  The floor pan has to fit across the top of the roof, so constraining its length to a bit less than the width of the roof.  The packaging of the kit into the box is almost a work of origami!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

An early picture of Ripple Lane. Certainly recognisable then, less so in later years.

Lovely photo.  The office block to which it was attached was a bit of an architectural period piece, too.  As for the locomotive, is that a NBL Class 21, the diesel-electric cousin of the hydraulic Class 22?  Am I right, I’m not good at loco spotting?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

Yes, before they were sent back to Scotland. It would be quite appropriate to use Arkitex to create the adjacent offices.

A useful product widely used by @Kier Hardy .

This is the Sunshine Desserts building on Wibdenshaw in naked form and after refurbishment;

PXL_20230717_095418052.jpg.b42b9c469a1f4f2474458feadee09ae2.jpg

PXL_20230724_090132083.jpg.2788942f832a1dd56317492f0bcd6459.jpg

Mike.

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken some photos of my heavily butchered Hornby Diesel Depot. I sometimes wonder why I embark on such projects as they invariably turn out to be more complicated and time-consuming than I'd anticipated, but I needed a second building, this was sitting idle in a box in kit form and........well, I like a challenge I suppose!

The embossed brick plasticard side overlays were done in 1982 and 30-odd years later I still had enough of the same sheet left to do the ends - never throw anything away!

HornbyDieselDepotConversion1.jpg.8bede5b97b3a8c031926a490a316df21.jpg

HornbyDieselDepotConversion2.jpg.0bbb9dbec1c056b69fdebcd9a008bbd0.jpg

The unrealistically spotless interior (one day......)

HornbyDieselDepotConversion3.jpg.613ef1a547fe07fede1f601537209cfe.jpg

The underside showing the use of cut-down original floor panel and second one obtained as a spare but not used......until now. Also wiring to feed the inner isolated section (purpose is shunter servicing):

HornbyDieselDepotConversion4.jpg.f501dba19e5d6967e0ef909e0c69e5de.jpg

And underside of the roof which was narrowed to match (the joint is visible at the top below 'A'). This meant the roof light was off-centre so this had to be shifted a bit as well - you can tell how much by the infill piece along its lower edge:

HornbyDieselDepotConversion5.jpg.932f8ecf42440efac0d256330187cc8a.jpg

Phew! I don't think I'll be doing THAT again.......🤪

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 20/08/2023 at 19:42, teeinox said:

The glazing is not so fabulous.

George Dent used the kit as part of a diesel depot micro layout in an article for a MR special, and used custom brass etched windows to replace the original glazing - this (with some other upgrades such as filling in the slots for the assembly tabs) improved the kit to the point of it sitting comfortably next to a Bachmann resin product.

The window etches he used can actually be purchased, but as “special orders” with a price tag of £50 for a set, I decided that (for me) that was a little pricey, considering I had bought the kit second hand off eBay for a lot less than half that amount! 

I am hoping that a laser cut kit designer might see a way of producing suitable replacement window frames using card/board, hopefully at a far more budget friendly price!

Steve S

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2023 at 11:03, SteveyDee68 said:

George Dent used the kit as part of a diesel depot micro layout in an article for a MR special, and used custom brass etched windows to replace the original glazing - this (with some other upgrades such as filling in the slots for the assembly tabs) improved the kit to the point of it sitting comfortably next to a Bachmann resin product.

The window etches he used can actually be purchased, but as “special orders” with a price tag of £50 for a set, I decided that (for me) that was a little pricey, considering I had bought the kit second hand off eBay for a lot less than half that amount! 

I am hoping that a laser cut kit designer might see a way of producing suitable replacement window frames using card/board, hopefully at a far more budget friendly price!

Steve S

I’d be interested in the etches, even at that price, to produce a cameo where I might take photographs. Do you have a link or other contact details for who produced them?

Best wishes

David

On 10/09/2023 at 20:40, dmsmith said:

I’d be interested in the etches, even at that price, to produce a cameo where I might take photographs. Do you have a link or other contact details for who produced them?

Best wishes

David

Hi David

My mistake - you need to contact them directly as the etches are a ‘custom order’ and are not listed under ‘special orders’ 🙄

The company you want is PHD Design

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Steve 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...

I have just bought the newer version R8006 and have started to make it more of a model as opposed to the toy look… I have just started with the interior by painting the pumps and hoses as well as the oil barrels…

IMG_1385.jpeg

IMG_1386.jpeg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2023 at 22:25, Enterprisingwestern said:

A useful product widely used by @Kier Hardy .

This is the Sunshine Desserts building on Wibdenshaw in naked form and after refurbishment;

PXL_20230717_095418052.jpg.b42b9c469a1f4f2474458feadee09ae2.jpg

PXL_20230724_090132083.jpg.2788942f832a1dd56317492f0bcd6459.jpg

Mike.

Great.  Super.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Funny 3