New Hornby Engine Shed August 2023

Hroth

More of a note than anything else.

Covers the "final samples" of the Turbomotive in LMS and BR liveries.  According to the blog, you'd better check the Route Availibility of your layout if you're going to get one, the loco weighs in at over half a kilo.  It also announces the running sample of the Class 755 "Flirt" and shows a couple of static photos as it seems that Hornby are disappointed about its speed, so there's no video of it actually running...

And that's it.

August 2023 Engine Shed Blog

Edited by Hroth
Thought a link would be helpful!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't often read the Engine Sheds, went off them a few years back and didn't return.

But this seemed to be like the post LMS turbomotive livery - simple and no nonsense, I actually enjoyed the read.

Maybe this is the new Hornby too, I'd like it to be more like that, a bit of a Bachmann approach of talking about the models without any fabricated drama.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I ordered the Turbomotive as soon as it was announced. Interesting read but surely the firebox shouldn’t flicker because the exhaust didn’t pulse.

I regard the flickering Firebox as a gimmick which is probably just as well as, out of the 9 locomotives I have purchased with this feature over the past year, 4 of them have had the effect fail after around an hour of cumulitive running.  Prince of Wales lost it's flicking firebox after around ten minutes running.  I'm not returning them as it's a feature I'm not concerned about. I  did mention it to SK before his retirement was announced.  At that stage I had 6 locomotives with the feature of which 3 had lost the effect.  He was going to get technical to phone me to discuss the issue, but they never did.

Edited by Trevor Hammond
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I ordered the Turbomotive as soon as it was announced. Interesting read but surely the firebox shouldn’t flicker because the exhaust didn’t pulse.

Or the rate of flicker should be much, much higher...

• Like 2

On 25/08/2023 at 15:38, hellotojasonisaacs said:

Interesting that the FLIRT sample shows a Welsh class 231/756 rather than the GA class 755, as announced. It would have been nice to have shown the running despite the apparent lack of speed…

I must admit that I thought the FLIRT looked like the TfW version rather than the GA Bionic Bunnies.  I wonder if that means they have tooled both body versions or is it going to be a typical Hornby single tool and a case of "That'll do, it's modern and lacks charisma"?

I rather wish TfW had bought bi-mode FLIRTS for the through Cambrian services to Birmingham rather than the 197s, they would have been ideal really although the bit under the wires is rather short.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the old days (pre 2020) when coaches cost £30, you’d be able to buy a coach pack, start chopping away and could make a class 745 too.

Unfortunately as its 5 vehicles, and only 1 thats close to the 755 its unlikely I think that Hornby would tool these, even though it looks similar.